Buying and Selling?

Dunt

Anyone thinking the Sox best plan of action this week could be to buy AND sell? Samardzija has pitched really well over his last 8 to 9 starts, but his K/9 is currently sitting 6.93 (by far the worst of his career). While trading Samardzija now and replacing him with EJ might hurt the team in the immediate future, maybe the Sox could take a seriously look at adding value elsewhere to offset the lose and build more for the "3 year window". I know everyone is hesitant to add NL players, but I would absolutely love to see the Sox add Carlos Gomez. Add his bat along with his defense to this team and all of the sudden, this team looks a lot more dangerous. This isn't a move I expect this front office to explore, but it's one I would seriously consider. If you could put together a package that didnt include Anderson, I say you do it.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking about the buying and selling idea yesterday since the team is close enough for a push. The best thing I'm able to come up with is an exchange of bad contracts with the Dodgers. Try to package Danks/Duke for Andre Either. Dodgers get a reliever in Duke and a starter that should perform better in the NLW while the Sox improve the RF defense and add a nice left handed bat to the lineup. Avi platoons DH with LaRoche, plus Avi can rotate into LF/RF to keep legs fresh for the stretch run. This allows the Sox to keep Samardzija to help make that late season push and hope for the best.

It's just an idea and I have no clue if the Dodgers or Sox would be interested in such a trade.

I think so. It also changes the type of talent you might be looking for with a player like Shark. In our situations, you could see a lot more 1 for 1 type deals where we would receive a MLB player in return. While in a complete rebuild, you are looking for volume in the form of prospects.

You could also get a few prospects and then use those same prospects to build packages for other players.

I think that we are by no means completely selling, they are trying to tweak the team for 2016 and pray for this year. Shark is gone though.

It would not shock me at all if the White Sox were out looking for major league hitters that they would have on the roster past 2015. Could I see them sniffing around a Josh Hamilton style trade (assloads of cash, and not much in terms of a prospect) for a guy like Pablo Sandoval? Absolutely. I could also see them looking at other 3B's and C's around baseball.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 01:52 PM)
I was thinking about the buying and selling idea yesterday since the team is close enough for a push. The best thing I'm able to come up with is an exchange of bad contracts with the Dodgers. Try to package Danks/Duke for Andre Either. Dodgers get a reliever in Duke and a starter that should perform better in the NLW while the Sox improve the RF defense and add a nice left handed bat to the lineup. Avi platoons DH with LaRoche, plus Avi can rotate into LF/RF to keep legs fresh for the stretch run. This allows the Sox to keep Samardzija to help make that late season push and hope for the best.

It's just an idea and I have no clue if the Dodgers or Sox would be interested in such a trade.

it is an excellent to way to think outside the box.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 10:22 AM)
It would not shock me at all if the White Sox were out looking for major league hitters that they would have on the roster past 2015. Could I see them sniffing around a Josh Hamilton style trade (assloads of cash, and not much in terms of a prospect) for a guy like Pablo Sandoval? Absolutely. I could also see them looking at other 3B's and C's around baseball.

It would make sense IF they are sticking to this plan of trying to compete every year instead of taking a step back and building up a minor league system that has sustained success. I just don't know that rebuilding every season on the fly makes a ton of success or has shown to work.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 10:38 AM)
It would make sense IF they are sticking to this plan of trying to compete every year instead of taking a step back and building up a minor league system that has sustained success. I just don't know that rebuilding every season on the fly makes a ton of success or has shown to work.

I don't think it is in the vein of selling the entire farms system for one shot, I think it is in the vein of adding pieces early to a team they think can compete at least next year, if not this year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 10:22 AM)

Ethier would be an interesting proposition as Blacksox noted. He would be best suited for LF according to UZR, but he would still be a vast improvement in RF over Avi and the bat isn't even close. I wonder if the Dodgers would be interested in parting with him to make room in the OF now that Crawford is back?

Here goes my buy and sell idea. Package Avi, Montas and some other prospects for CarGo. He's played 88 games and would be the impact bat we could possibly get without giving up Anderson. CarGo has been fairly healthy this season. I'd bring up Trayce Thompson to platoon the outfield and DH with CarGo to give him his off days in the field. I'll probably be tarred and feathered for this idea but here it is. I wouldn't trade pen arms. We need them. I'd keep Shark and waive LaRoche and Bonafacio. Ofcoutse that's me spending their money.

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 11:12 AM)
Here goes my buy and sell idea. Package Avi, Montas and some other prospects for CarGo. He's played 88 games and would be the impact bat we could possibly get without giving up Anderson. CarGo has been fairly healthy this season. I'd bring up Trayce Thompson to platoon the outfield and DH with CarGo to give him his off days in the field. I'll probably be tarred and feathered for this idea but here it is. I wouldn't trade pen arms. We need them. I'd keep Shark and waive LaRoche and Bonafacio. Ofcoutse that's me spending their money.

If they waived LaRoche, they would have to eat $15-$16 million. Zero chance that happens.

I do like the bad contract swap idea. Danks has been pitching better, but I still think this team is better off with EJ in the 5 spot - so if you can get a bat for him, let's do it.

At this point, I'd just be fine with giving Micah Johnson ABs at DH. He'd be a HUGE upgrade to what we're getting there now. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea. Just DL LaRoche, or keep him on the bench for a late inning PH role..he's worthless right now.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 11:21 AM)
I do like the bad contract swap idea. Danks has been pitching better, but I still think this team is better off with EJ in the 5 spot - so if you can get a bat for him, let's do it.

At this point, I'd just be fine with giving Micah Johnson ABs at DH. He'd be a HUGE upgrade to what we're getting there now. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea. Just DL LaRoche, or keep him on the bench for a late inning PH role..he's worthless right now.

I don't think that's a horrible idea. Clearly he's ready for the majors as a hitter, but the problem will be that the White Sox view that DH position as a power spot (despite the lack of production La Roche has provided).

When the offense is bad, and there's a guy who can help, why not?

Does he still project as a 2B or are they considering the OF with him?

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 12:21 PM)

Tough to project trading Danks by fans since we don't know all the details of his no-trade clause. But I think it is realiistic to assume Toronto is part of the no-trade. Dodgers may be okay.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 11:26 AM)
I don't think that's a horrible idea. Clearly he's ready for the majors as a hitter, but the problem will be that the White Sox view that DH position as a power spot (despite the lack of production La Roche has provided).

When the offense is bad, and there's a guy who can help, why not?

Does he still project as a 2B or are they considering the OF with him?

OF not an option. Bad arm. He projects as a 2B, and sure, not getting everyday game reps may not help, but he can play winter ball, and being up with big club getting daily work at 2B can't hurt. But it does look like Sanchez just may be grabbing ahold of 2B - his D is just so fun to watch and that bat has been red hot.

DH Micah a few days a week, let him play 2B now and then. And if hits, they'll find a spot for him, or they can always use him as trade bait. Wouldn't mind seeing Micah and Tim Anderson moved for a top 25 prospect that isn't a middle infielder...I feel like we have that covered. This team needs to improve their D going forward, and those two aren't likely to help much in that department.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 11:35 AM)
Tough to project trading Danks by fans since we don't know all the details of his no-trade clause. But I think it is realiistic to assume Toronto is part of the no-trade. Dodgers may be okay.

Yep. Always tough to project a trade of a bad contract guy. He's likely going nowhere..but I do like the idea. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a better option than the Dodgers with Ethier and Crawford. Not sure anyone else would take Danks for their worst contract in a 1-1 trade.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 11:35 AM)

Cot's says there are 6 teams on his no-trade clause. It list Baltimore, Oakland, Toronto and Washington as 4 of the 6. Doesn't list the other two.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 12:38 PM)
Yep. Always tough to project a trade of a bad contract guy. He's likely going nowhere..but I do like the idea. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a better option than the Dodgers with Ethier and Crawford. Not sure anyone else would take Danks for their worst contract in a 1-1 trade.

Maybe Boston since I doubt Danks would block them with his no-trade. They have a few contracts they regret as well.

This has crossed my mind lately, especially with the sweep of the Indians. I think we can all agree that sweeping the Indians was nice, but they are a bad team, and the Sox should have easily won that series. A four game sweep against any team, however, is impressive. What concerns me is that even after that sweep, the Sox are still 4 games below .500. They need to beat up on Boston this week. With only four days left before the deadline, the Sox are truly right on the fence between buying and selling. They could play very well this week only to tank next week...or vice versa.

Based on the history of this team this season though, I don't expect them to be true buyers. I could definitely see them trading Samardjiza and picking up a bat in the same trade or a separate one. Or I suppose Danks could be moved, swapped with another "bad" contract.

Regardless, I think Friday will be an interesting day. I just hope the Sox don't stand pat...that could be the worst outcome.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 11:47 AM)
This has crossed my mind lately, especially with the sweep of the Indians. I think we can all agree that sweeping the Indians was nice, but they are a bad team, and the Sox should have easily won that series. A four game sweep against any team, however, is impressive. What concerns me is that even after that sweep, the Sox are still 4 games below .500. They need to beat up on Boston this week. With only four days left before the deadline, the Sox are truly right on the fence between buying and selling. They could play very well this week only to tank next week...or vice versa.

Based on the history of this team this season though, I don't expect them to be true buyers. I could definitely see them trading Samardjiza and picking up a bat in the same trade or a separate one. Or I suppose Danks could be moved, swapped with another "bad" contract.

Regardless, I think Friday will be an interesting day. I just hope the Sox don't stand pat...that could be the worst outcome.

Before that Sox series, many pundits still gave Cleveland a decent shot at getting back into things...so let's not act like they're suddenly the worst team is baseball.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 11:54 AM)
Before that Sox series, many pundits still gave Cleveland a decent shot at getting back into things...so let's not act like they're suddenly the worst team is baseball.

Plus we beat them by scoring 24 runs in 3 games against 3 of the best pitchers in baseball.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 12:21 PM)
the only team the sox should assume they can beat are coming up (red sox) and Phillies. That we should assume we can beat a team ahead of us in rankings is ridiculous.

I assume our pitching can hold down anyone.

I also assume any pitching can hold down our offense.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 11:56 AM)
Plus we beat them by scoring 24 runs in 3 games against 3 of the best pitchers in baseball.

Exactly, we pounded them and they have a great pitching staff. Going into the series the Indians were just 3 games under .500, hardly what I would call a terrible team. It's also hard to sweep a 4-game series from anybody, especially on the road. Hell the Cubs just went 4-6 against teams with a combined .429 winning percentage, winning 4 straight games against anyone in baseball is impressive.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 11:56 AM)

Ok, I'm part of the whole optimist/don't sell yet movement, but calling those 3 "3 of the best pitchers in baseball" is just silly.

Edited by Jose Abreu