Cole Hamels to Rangers

southsider2k5

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 01:36 PM)
Schwarber+ is a minimum I assume, though a cursory look at some Cub forums has a lot of their fans thinking it can be done for Baez+

There's no way they are going to trade him.

I don't think the Cubs are going to make a major move. I think they are more likely to find a veteran/stop-gap type who would help, but wouldn't cost them a premium prospect.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 01:38 PM)
Doesn't this mean they're not very involved in the trade discussions for him?

Sounds to me like one of two possibilities.

1) The Cubs will come up as being a destination for any quality/upper echelon starting pitcher because they have a great farm system and need another arm. Who knows what the actual truth is to some of these reports.

2) They are just letting teams know they'd like to be part of discussions, but haven't made any significant offers. Teams aren't going to turn the Cubs away, given the amount of prospects that they have and it doesn't hurt to listen.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 02:39 PM)
There's no way they are going to trade him.

I don't think the Cubs are going to make a major move. I think they are more likely to find a veteran/stop-gap type who would help, but wouldn't cost them a premium prospect.

I do just wonder a bit about how much of an impact they think "making the playoffs" this year would make for them coming out of their rebuilding. They sure seem unlikely to sacrifice any of their long-term pieces, especially since they'll have plenty of money to fill holes on the FA market again, but "making the playoffs even for a game" would really cement the team as on its way up for that fanbase. It might be worth a lot for them to be more aggressive than we'd think.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 01:45 PM)
I do just wonder a bit about how much of an impact they think "making the playoffs" this year would make for them coming out of their rebuilding. They sure seem unlikely to sacrifice any of their long-term pieces, especially since they'll have plenty of money to fill holes on the FA market again, but "making the playoffs even for a game" would really cement the team as on its way up for that fanbase. It might be worth a lot for them to be more aggressive than we'd think.

Well Hamels wouldn't necessarily be sacrificing things long-term, as they would have him for 4 more seasons after this one.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 02:53 PM)
Well Hamels wouldn't necessarily be sacrificing things long-term, as they would have him for 4 more seasons after this one.

But they could pull off something similar by signing Price in the offseason without sacrificing any of their young offensive pieces.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 01:58 PM)
But they could pull off something similar by signing Price in the offseason without sacrificing any of their young offensive pieces.

Which does nothing for a team a couple of games out of a playoff spot today.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 01:45 PM)

I wonder if Theo wouldn't mind moving a couple of these prospects before they become exposed as frauds. I would guess Baez's value is down. Castro could have netted more. A couple of these others, the value most likely will go down unless the Cubs are really lucky.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 01:58 PM)
What is their reasoning?

Basically they feel good about competing next year with Darvish back. But...not sure with gallardo being shopped what that means.

So, still confused. But I kind of like the idea of them just liking hamels so who knows.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 03:02 PM)
I wonder if Theo wouldn't mind moving a couple of these prospects before they become exposed as frauds. I would guess Baez's value is down. Castro could have netted more. A couple of these others, the value most likely will go down unless the Cubs are really lucky.

I'm still surprised they didn't move Baez over a year ago. He had "guy who may turn into something long term but is going to struggle a lot short term" written all over him. You could see that in his approach in AA just by watching. If he made contact the ball seemed like it never landed but there wasn't a pitch he wouldn't swing at.

His power is so legit I could still see him becoming a decent big leaguer somewhere, but he seems like a major, multi-year overhaul project.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 01:58 PM)
What is their reasoning?

Maybe they think they can still get a wild card and compete beyond this year. But they have some horrific contracts on their books right now.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 02:02 PM)

I would if I were them, but I'd try to get a good pitcher in their mid 20s. They can get pitchers like Hamels in FA. but how will they deal when their position players are about to enter their prime years, and they are paying their 34/35 year old pitchers 25 miillion a year for crap performance.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 02:02 PM)

Who else is in danger of being exposed as a fraud?

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 01:42 PM)
I've heard the reasoning behind Texas's interest, still so weird to me.

I don't think it's weird at all. Hamels is a bargain compared to what other guys will get and he's locked up for 4 more years. He's an ace and is owed $23.5, $23.5, $23.5, and $20 or a $6 million buyout. So it's either 4 years at $90.5 or 3 years at $76.5. A hell of a lot cheaper than paying Price, Zimmerman, or Cueto.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 02:34 PM)
Who else is in danger of being exposed as a fraud?

Jorge Soler isn't exactly looking like a superstar.

I would be shocked if Baez would be enough to serve as the centerpiece for a Hamels trade. His stock is way down. He can't hit.

That's the nice thing about being the Cubs, you have a newspaper there to just pump up all of your prospects. They've been doing that for years. Castro of most recent.