AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!

southsider2k5

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 10:32 PM)
Not to be a downer in a White Sox Winner thread, but I really hope Danks never starts another game for the Chicago White Sox.

Not to be a downer to Big Ed, but Danks will start a few more.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 10:40 PM)
It was ridiculous for people to deem them as failures less than halfway into the first year of either deal.

And Eaton's deal was never going to be an albatross anyway. Most we're paying him in any one year is $8 million if you don't count the option years.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 28, 2015 -> 03:13 AM)
Passed Detroit and Texas in the WC chase

That, folks, is very very difficult to believe. Nice, but difficult to fathom.

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Jul 28, 2015 -> 03:32 AM)
Not to be a downer in a White Sox Winner thread, but I really hope Danks never starts another game for the Chicago White Sox.

Don't be a Danks-downer. Believe in Danks as I do and you will be rewarded tenfold! Danks! It ain't easy pitching in Fenway.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 28, 2015 -> 03:40 AM)
It was ridiculous for people to deem them as failures less than halfway into the first year of either deal.

Yeah, but Melky and Eaton were so bad it was incredible. I mean people wanted Eaton sent down and I wanted Melky traded so badly. Hopefully he can keep rapping at least two hits per game. His hitting has been huge.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 28, 2015 -> 03:57 AM)
Those two kids in the infield have picked up the team. Of course a few others have helped, too.

I agree. Not having to play Beckham and Conor, who has since been shipped away, and Boni, has been huge. Saladino is a breath of fresh air and 2B has been wonderful.

Eaton really only had one (very) bad month at the plate. People were jumping all over him through the All-Star break, but since May 1st he's hitting .272/.352/.447

That's better than last year. He's been fine for most of the season.

Edited by OmarComing25

God damn it, this team actually has a shot at a WC spot, but there's a very good chance we start slumping again after the trade deadline.

Whether or not we trade Samardzija is gonna come down entirely on how we do the next 3 days.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Jul 28, 2015 -> 05:43 AM)
The crazy thing is 2016 and beyond could be determined in the next 3 days. Seems a bit ridiculous really that we will judge whether or not we can make it to the playoffs based on 3 games out of 162.

It's more like stupidity to decide the course of a team's future on three games. So what's the combination for selling or buying?

3 wins -- nothing

2 wins -- nothing

1 win -- sell

0 wins -- sell

Or what if we win all three and dont gain any ground in the WC? These combinations and possibilities from it are ridiculous to me. Nothing should have changed from last week to today.

Whatever combination of wins or losses these next games hold, I'd still trade Shark. If we're resurging, which I doubt, it has been largely due to the offense. There are still four other pitchers in our rotation and Johnson to carry the starting pitching. My only question wouldn't be IF I trade Shark, but whether they'll look for ML playera or prospects in return for him.

I really hope there are people in the FO who are thinking past the Boston series.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jul 28, 2015 -> 07:25 AM)
It's more like stupidity to decide the course of a team's future on three games. So what's the combination for selling or buying?

3 wins -- nothing

2 wins -- nothing

1 win -- sell

0 wins -- sell

Or what if we win all three and dont gain any ground in the WC? These combinations and possibilities from it are ridiculous to me. Nothing should have changed from last week to today.

Whatever combination of wins or losses these next games hold, I'd still trade Shark. If we're resurging, which I doubt, it has been largely due to the offense. There are still four other pitchers in our rotation and Johnson to carry the starting pitching. My only question wouldn't be IF I trade Shark, but whether they'll look for ML playera or prospects in return for him.

I really hope there are people in the FO who are thinking past the Boston series.

In principle I agree with your post - hopefully the front office isn't being shortsighted. But something absolutely has changed in the last week. A week ago the Sox were 7 games out of a playoff spot with six teams between. Now they're 4.5 games out with four teams between. That's a pretty big shift in seven days, whether one believes they can pull this off or not.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 10:40 PM)

With the emphasis on moment to moment stats, I think it is worth saying that even a guy that hits .333 doesn't go 1-3 each game. He has some 0-4's mixed in with some 2 hit games. Seasons are like that as well. Guys slump for parts of the season, and hit their asses off at others. At the end of the day, you have a season.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 10:50 PM)
Scary thing with Eaton was his defensive decline, but it looks like that was a blip. He was completely useless in all aspects in april.

He, and a couple of others, came out of camp trying to do to much. Once he relaxed and let the game come to him, he was fine. For example, instead of hitting a cut off guy, he was trying to throw through to the base. He was trying to make the spectacular catch, instead of making sure the ball didn't get past him, etc.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jul 28, 2015 -> 07:25 AM)

3 wins -- nothing

2 wins -- nothing

1 win -- sell

0 wins -- sell

I don't think they are doing anything of substance in the next three days, whether the team goes 3-0 or 0-3.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Jul 28, 2015 -> 09:11 AM)
In principle I agree with your post - hopefully the front office isn't being shortsighted. But something absolutely has changed in the last week. A week ago the Sox were 7 games out of a playoff spot with six teams between. Now they're 4.5 games out with four teams between. That's a pretty big shift in seven days, whether one believes they can pull this off or not.

Here's the other point --if you believe they're in it, then Shark still should go to bolster the roster with an additional bat. Don't forget the misery and embarrassment of this offense because of one week.

That's my concern, here. Shark shouldn't even be here now, let alone at the deadline. He wont be a part of our future past this season, and if forsaking him for an everyday offensive player meant risking the remainder of this season with Johnson id accept it.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jul 28, 2015 -> 10:29 AM)
Here's the other point --if you believe they're in it, then Shark still should go to bolster the roster with an additional bat. Don't forget the misery and embarrassment of this offense because of one week.

That's my concern, here. Shark shouldn't even be here now, let alone at the deadline. He wont be a part of our future past this season, and if forsaking him for an everyday offensive player meant risking the remainder of this season with Johnson id accept it.

I do think it has to be acknowledged that Saladino-Alexei-Sanchez has become a formidable defensive infield (last night withstanding).

That's pretty tough to argue with. :)

I'd trade Shark for an everyday offensive player who can play the rest of the season in a heartbeat, but that seems like an unrealistic return for a two-month rental. More likely is a couple prospects who might help in a year or two, and if we kick ass the next three games I might lean towards keeping Shark. I'd bring up Johnson regardless though to replace Danks, I just wish I had faith in the the front office to do a move like that.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 28, 2015 -> 08:59 AM)
I'd trade Shark for an everyday offensive player who can play the rest of the season in a heartbeat, but that seems like an unrealistic return for a two-month rental. More likely is a couple prospects who might help in a year or two, and if we kick ass the next three games I might lean towards keeping Shark. I'd bring up Johnson regardless though to replace Danks, I just wish I had faith in the the front office to do a move like that.

this!