Cargo

BigHurt3515

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 28, 2015 -> 12:06 PM)
His road OPS this year is .768.

That is higher than everyone on the current White Sox other than Abreu and Eaton, and Eaton is at .769.

If you could guarantee he could hit at that rate for the White Sox (as he transitioned to the AL and a set of unfamiliar pitchers), it would be "okay" but certainly not a steal.

The thing I'm more concerned with is his abysmal OPS numbers in August and September from 2012-2014. Seems like he has a history of fading down the stretch, and/or he's been injured and not playing at 100% in the 2nd half of those seasons.

Who can pull up his defensive ratings this year?

If you're going to push Avi out of RF, the numbers better make sense. Granted, it's hard to be MUCH worse than Avi or Hanley Ramirez.

Once upon a time, CarGo was a Gold Glove caliber fielder, but what about the last 2-3 seasons?

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 28, 2015 -> 11:12 AM)
If you could guarantee he could hit at that rate for the White Sox (as he transitioned to the AL and a set of unfamiliar pitchers), it would be "okay" but certainly not a steal.

The thing I'm more concerned with is his abysmal OPS numbers in August and September from 2012-2014. Seems like he has a history of fading down the stretch, and/or he's been injured and not playing at 100% in the 2nd half of those seasons.

Who can pull up his defensive ratings this year?

If you're going to push Avi out of RF, the numbers better make sense. Granted, it's hard to be MUCH worse than Avi or Hanley Ramirez.

Once upon a time, CarGo was a Gold Glove caliber fielder, but what about the last 2-3 seasons?

He's been fairly strong defensively this season according to fangraphs.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 28, 2015 -> 11:14 AM)
That still isn't good enough to warrant giving up Adams.

Well, that's a decision that will need to be made.

If the alternative is sticking with this offense, then so be it.

But I don't think the Rockies are going to move the guy for salary relief right now. They're going to need at least a couple pieces for him.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jul 28, 2015 -> 02:30 PM)
On an admittedly weak offensive team, he's actually been one of our most consistent hitters.

Since June 1 he's hitting .224 with a .589 OPS.

If you don't care whether you win this season that's fine. If you're trying to win right now, that's a hole that can be filled, at least temporarily, without having to swallow $20 million or so on the contract of someone struggling.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 28, 2015 -> 11:32 AM)
Since June 1 he's hitting .224 with a .589 OPS.

If you don't care whether you win this season that's fine. If you're trying to win right now, that's a hole that can be filled, at least temporarily, without having to swallow $20 million or so on the contract of someone struggling.

He's not been struggling at all...

And what good hitter are you going to go get without taking on a decent-sized contract?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 28, 2015 -> 02:42 PM)
He's not been struggling at all...

And what good hitter are you going to go get without taking on a decent-sized contract?

By the "Swallow the contract" phrase there I was referring to LaRoche.

The White Sox will take on contracts from other teams, but they won't "buy players out for large amounts", based on historical standards.

Sorry if that was unclear.

Don't want to trade prospect for either one of them.

Young players, please.

QUOTE (KillahPriest @ Jul 28, 2015 -> 01:02 PM)
Trayce Thompson, Chris Beck & Daniel Webb. Take it or leave it. Not really that interested in him.

Yep - that's about it for me, too.

Nothing with real upside for these guys.

People want to give up at least as much for Cargo than The Jays gave for the far, far superior Tulo. Hero worship on red alert.

Edited by GreenSox

Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com hears from a source who believes the Rockies are more likely to trade Carlos Gonzalez over the winter as opposed to this week.

We're not so sure about that, as Gonzalez has been red-hot this month. Given his injury history, this could be the perfect time for the Rockies to get aggressive. The 29-year-old is still owed $37 million from 2016-2017.

Source: Jerry Crasnick on Twitter

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jul 28, 2015 -> 02:10 PM)
Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com hears from a source who believes the Rockies are more likely to trade Carlos Gonzalez over the winter as opposed to this week.

We're not so sure about that, as Gonzalez has been red-hot this month. Given his injury history, this could be the perfect time for the Rockies to get aggressive. The 29-year-old is still owed $37 million from 2016-2017.

Source: Jerry Crasnick on Twitter

He's being traded this week. He's on a tear and healthy. Tulo was just traded. Time is now for them.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 28, 2015 -> 12:43 PM)
Micah and Spencer, they pay $15 million.

That's too much. Rockies don't need Micah. Their GM said today that no one is beating down their door for Cargo. I bet they would take just Adams for him. Tough call.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 28, 2015 -> 04:31 PM)
That's too much. Rockies don't need Micah. Their GM said today that no one is beating down their door for Cargo. I bet they would take just Adams for him. Tough call.

If I were the rockies I'd take Adams, dump that salary, and be thrilled.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 28, 2015 -> 03:31 PM)

It's not a tough call. Don't give up Adams, it's that simple.