Cargo

BigHurt3515

The Rockies are trimming payroll and looking for pitching so can someone explain to me why they would want LaRoche?

LaRoche has been hitting .141 with a .345 OPS for the month of July. No team is willing to take that on, just like Danks.

Edited by BlackSox13

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 12:15 PM)
The Rockies are trimming payroll and looking for pitching so can someone explain to me why they would want LaRoche?

LaRoche has been hitting .141 with a .345 OPS for the month of July. No team is willing to take that on, just like Danks.

Because the White Sox aren't likely to take on all of Cargo's remaining salary with their payroll constraints so the white Sox would have to send some salary back.

The Rockies wouldn't normally be motivated to take salary back, requiring the White Sox to have to include a pretty solid player in the deal to get the Rockies motivated to do that.

That's exactly what the Rockies did with the Blue Jays. They took back Reyes's deal which they probably didn't want, but they got the sweetener of Hoffman and others in the process.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 11:19 AM)
Because the White Sox aren't likely to take on all of Cargo's remaining salary with their payroll constraints so the white Sox would have to send some salary back.

The Rockies wouldn't normally be motivated to take salary back, requiring the White Sox to have to include a pretty solid player in the deal to get the Rockies motivated to do that.

That's exactly what the Rockies did with the Blue Jays. They took back Reyes's deal which they probably didn't want, but they got the sweetener of Hoffman and others in the process.

Aside from Adam's atrocious numbers, the Rockies have already said they would be better off keeping CarGo to further build his value for the rest of the season. Then trade him over the winter for a bigger haul.

Sorry, just don't see the Rockies taking on LaRoche. I know the Rockies took Reyes salary back in return but Reyes is still a productive ball player, LaRoche is not.

Edited by BlackSox13

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 12:26 PM)
Aside from Adam's atrocious numbers, the Rockies have already said they would be better off keeping CarGo to further build his value for the rest of the season. Then trade him over the winter for a bigger haul.

Sorry, just don't see the Rockies taking on LaRoche. I know the Rockies took Reyes salary back in return but Reyes is still a productive ball player, LaRoche is not.

If you sent them Anderson or Montas, they'd probably take LaRoche on for that return.

It is in a conversation.

Fan Mail ‏@mlbfanmail 5h5 hours ago

If I start tweeting random trades as completed, will espn report that I broke the story if I got one right?

0 retweets 0 favorites

Mike Kuper ‏@MikeKuper 3h3 hours ago

@mlbfanmail Seems to work for most journalists...

0 retweets 0 favorites

Fan Mail ‏@mlbfanmail 2h2 hours ago

Rockies agree to trade CarGo to White Sox for prospects, awaiting word on which prospects to be included @MikeKuper

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 11:43 AM)
If you sent them Anderson or Montas, they'd probably take LaRoche on for that return.

Hmmm, that is interesting. I'm not a fan of trading for CarGo but if all it takes is say, Montas/LaRoche for CarGo I'd be all for it.

I prefer Josh Reddick myself but he would surely cost so I'm not getting my hopes up.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 04:56 PM)
LaRoche doesn't have to go to Colorado in a deal. Ship him St.Louis or Pittsburgh for scraps. At least they'd be rid of his salary to offset Cargo's.

With the way he's hit over the last month it seems like neither of them would actually want him. Both teams have been interested in Lind as an actual option.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 03:57 PM)
With the way he's hit over the last month it seems like neither of them would actually want him. Both teams have been interested in Lind as an actual option.

LaRoche has been a much bigger disappointment than Adam Dunn has ever been, except just not on such a larger scale. I knew that signing was awful. When you invest in players for $12-$13 million a year, you need to make sure they can hit left handed and right handed pitching (at least to some varying respectable degrees). LaRoche could never hit a lefty and is generally struggling against all pitching, which is why we have the results we have today. When you spend the kind of money you do on a guy like LaRoche, your literally dropping $12 million for a part-time platoon player. That's a bad signing, IMO.

The point in contenders acquiring players is to upgrade over what they currently have. LaRoche's bat would not even be an upgrade over Alvarez so why would Pitt want anything to do with LaRoche? As Balta pointed out and I agree, STL is better off making a push for Lind and the same could be said about Pitt.

We're seemingly stuck with LaRoche.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 05:05 PM)
The point in contenders acquiring players is to upgrade over what they currently have. LaRoche's bat would not even be an upgrade over Alvarez so why would Pitt want anything to do with LaRoche? As Balta pointed out and I agree, STL is better off making a push for Lind and the same could be said about Pitt.

We're seemingly stuck with LaRoche.

Pittsburgh has been rumored to want to part with Alvarez on the "headcase/we're tired of him" level. If LaRoche were putting up similar numbers, which he was a couple weeks ago, I could have seen that making sense - the Pirates take on some extra money but remove their headcase problem. Unfortunately LaRoche's numbers have been in such a tailspin while Alvarez has had a good week, so it no longer looks like a plausible matchup.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 04:12 PM)
Pittsburgh has been rumored to want to part with Alvarez on the "headcase/we're tired of him" level. If LaRoche were putting up similar numbers, which he was a couple weeks ago, I could have seen that making sense - the Pirates take on some extra money but remove their headcase problem. Unfortunately LaRoche's numbers have been in such a tailspin while Alvarez has had a good week, so it no longer looks like a plausible matchup.

This is dismissing the fact that LaRoche has a nice glove at 1B and without a DH, that would be welcome in Pitt. Alvarez is a butcher.

Still don't see it as a fit, but I kind of hope Rick has at least explored the idea.

St.Louis can get LaRoche for next to nothing and he has a history of decent production in the NL. I doubt Milwaukee would give Lind away. LaRoche could platoon with Reynolds and they may even get the Sox to kick in some cash.

Edited by Lemon_44

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 04:12 PM)

I remember reading something about that last weekend. Pitt was shopping Alvarez for something like a month or two with no teams showing any genuine interest.

Shame, I would take that head case for salary relief that can be better used elsewhere. Oh well.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 05:14 PM)
St.Louis can get LaRoche for next to nothing and he has a history of decent production in the NL. I doubt Milwaukee would give Lind away. LaRoche could platoon with Reynolds and they may even get the Sox to kick in some cash.

That's the trick.

They have Adams coming back next year so they don't need LaRoche next year, and he's got a big money deal for next year that absolutely no team will want to take on. They'd probably be able to move him by then sending more money, but that's creating a problem they don't need to deal with when there are 1-year options available.

And then...how often do the White Sox kick in lots of money to move people with years remaining on their deal?