Official Buyers Thread

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 02:09 PM)
Here come our beat writers:

Seeing reports involving White Sox asking about Upton and Cespedes. Both make great sense for White Sox going for it in short term

Good old Merkin regurgitating other people information. It's amazing none of these guys can scoop something. It's like they don't want to chase down leads.

Merkin's last scoop was Rocky Road, right into his mouth

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 04:11 PM)
So we are about to burn our farm system again to fund another one of Trader Kenny's long shots. Then again I look at data like losing 2 from the Cardinals and 3/4 from the Royals as a bit of a scary trend over sweeping 2 series from a couple of dogs.

K, how did you view taking 2 from cardinals before then? That we should go for it?

QUOTE (Special K @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 04:11 PM)
Avi not starting tonight...

I never said anything about Garcia. I think it's dumb to have two expensive, premier closers on one team.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 04:11 PM)
I feel like Upton would require someone like Adams, and with the way Upton has been hitting the last two months that could have disaster written all over it. Pass.

He has improved over the past week or so, though

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 02:11 PM)
So we are about to burn our farm system again to fund another one of Trader Kenny's long shots. Then again I look at data like losing 2 from the Cardinals and 3/4 from the Royals as a bit of a scary trend over sweeping 2 series from a couple of dogs.

This is the dilemma. If they compete with the Yankees this weekend we'll know better but of course, the deadline will have passed.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 04:13 PM)
I never said anything about Garcia. I think it's dumb to have two expensive, premier closers on one team.

I was just noting that... the two were not related... apologies.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 04:13 PM)

For half a season where your in a playoff chase it's not dumb to have two lock down closers. That allows you to trade Kimbrel in the winter for prospects or another impact piece. It'd be smart ass hell I think for the rest of the year.

Edited by Frank_Thomas35

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 04:15 PM)
For half a season where your in a playoff chase it's not dumb to have two lock down closers. That allows you to trade Kimbrel in the winter for prospects or another impact piece. It'd be smart ass hell I think for the rest of the year.

It's expensive as hell too. We didn't pay Robertson $46 million this offseason to be an 8th inning guy.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 04:12 PM)
K, how did you view taking 2 from cardinals before then? That we should go for it?

I don't think we should burn anything for it. If it went bad move Jeff, it was like this stay put. We are still in a retooling part of the process. Burning this down for a lottery ticket is stupid.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 04:14 PM)
This is the dilemma. If they compete with the Yankees this weekend we'll know better but of course, the deadline will have passed.

People keep bringing up the Cardinals games but we were one 8th-inning blown lead away from going 3-1 against them this season, or do the two we took from them in St. Louis fairly recently not count? We were two inches from splitting with the Royals. We've also taken series from Baltimore, Toronto (3 out of 4, and we held their offense to 10 total runs) and the Cubs recently.

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 04:18 PM)
So? Then the Sox have two closers instead of one. It'd be even better. Shortening the game is important nowadays.

The Sox FO doesn't give a f*** about shortening the game, they care about winning. Paying $74 million to have two closers is completely unnecessary.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 04:20 PM)
As flashy as acquiring Upton or Cespedes would be, it would very shortsighted in my opinion to give up prospects for rentals to bank on 2015. This has Kenny written all over it.

It does, but let's see what happens before we say we're mortgaging the future. Maybe they can get a rental bat without giving up anything super significant. We'll see...

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 04:18 PM)
It's expensive as hell too. We didn't pay Robertson $46 million this offseason to be an 8th inning guy.

Im keeping Robo as the closer I'm just saying it was all a hypothetical if you look at the proposed package it was laughable. But really it would be smart to have Kimbo Slice in the 8th and Robo as the closer. Like I said it shortens the game and it would be with the intention of using it for the wild card chase and then using Kimbrel as a trade chip to add something of significance in the offseason. Plus it C-blocks the Cubs

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 04:22 PM)
Im keeping Robo as the closer I'm just saying it was all a hypothetical if you look at the proposed package it was laughable. But really it would be smart to have Kimbo Slice in the 8th and Robo as the closer. Like I said it shortens the game and it would be with the intention of using it for the wild card chase and then using Kimbrel as a trade chip to add something of significance in the offseason. Plus it C-blocks the Cubs

This is what I'm saying. I'd pay $74 million for two closers if we could make the playoffs.