Official Buyers Thread

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 12:00 PM)
I think they would be willing to trade him, but being a 10/5 player he does have full no trade protection and I kind of doubt he would want to leave the Yankees this season.

To play 3b for the white sox? That's every boys dream.

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 12:56 PM)
I feel Gonzalez is attainable for Chris Beck-type prospects (outside of the top 10) plus potential salary relief (John Danks). Salary relief is clearly not an option for a potential Bruce trade, and I would guess our more upper echelon pitching prospects would be in play. If that's the case, I'd rather keep the good prospects and get CarGo.

I don't think you can get both Gonzalez for Beck-type + salary relief. I think if you want a solid salary relief you'll need to include a solid player.

QUOTE (RaySox @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 11:00 AM)
Take one for the team buddy. Of course I'm only kidding but we're all pretty desperate for some rumors and names

I honestly dont know if its worth it to repair, so it is what it is.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 09:55 AM)
Check this 3 team trade out....

Sox-Dodgers-A's.

Sox acquire C Stephen Vogt (lefty to pair with Soto).

Dodgers acquire Jeff Samardzija

Athletics acquire prospects from Dodgers.

So for the Sox, it's a swap of Shark for Vogt.

So we are going to trade Shark for a guy in his first breakout season at 30? I realize we need catching but I don't know that this gets me that excited.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 11:55 AM)
Check this 3 team trade out....

Sox-Dodgers-A's.

Sox acquire C Stephen Vogt (lefty to pair with Soto).

Dodgers acquire Jeff Samardzija

Athletics acquire prospects from Dodgers.

So for the Sox, it's a swap of Shark for Vogt.

That's brutal for us.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 12:14 PM)
So we are going to trade Shark for a guy in his first breakout season at 30? I realize we need catching but I don't know that this gets me that excited.

He was very good in half a season last year. His 162-game average WAR in Oakland is 3.1. He is on pace for higher than that this season.

For comparison sake, Flowers has a -0.2 WAR this year. Also, Vogt is a lefty. He could be an even more impressive platoon with Soto as Vogt crushes rights to a 148 wRC+ and hitting .292 with 13 HR. Soto against lefties is hitting .323 with a wRC+ of 162. You'd be exploiting both heavy splits in their platoon perfectly.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 01:33 PM)
He was very good in half a season last year. His 162-game average WAR in Oakland is 3.1. He is on pace for higher than that this season.

For comparison sake, Flowers has a -0.2 WAR this year. Also, Vogt is a lefty. He could be an even more impressive platoon with Soto as Vogt crushes rights to a 148 wRC+ and hitting .292 with 13 HR. Soto against lefties is hitting .323 with a wRC+ of 162. You'd be exploiting both heavy splits in their platoon perfectly.

I'd take Vogt in a heartbeat if the cost is say Montas+ filler. As you said he'd be the perfect platoon mate for Soto and from what I saw in the Oakland games this year Vogt is fine behind the plate. He certainly throws better than Flowers. For his career Vogt throws out about a 1/3 of base stealers.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 12:24 PM)
That's brutal for us.

What are you expecting to get for a 2 month rental? This team is looking to add to the current club, not take a couple A-ball players in return for Samardzija. We could use a solid lefty catcher. I think it's pretty fair, especially when you consider he plays half his games in the pitcher's haven in Oakland. His avg is better at home, but he has 10 HR away vs. 4 HR at home. He could be a 15+ HR bat for the Sox just in a strict platoon.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 06:45 PM)
The Sox shouldn't buy even if they get into the race, they can't afford to deal from the farm.

There's no one in the farm I'd lose much sleep over if they trade to get an asset for not only this year, but next year as well.

Jerry Crasnick ‏@jcrasnick 1m1 minute ago

#Braves are also fielding some calls on A.J. Pierzynski and Jonny Gomes. Battled-tested, stretch drive acquisition types.

https://twitter.com/jcrasnick

I'm not interested in Gomes...but AJ maybe. He's on a 1 year 2 million dollar deal. 1.3 offensive WAR player(.4 overall).

Edited by Baron

QUOTE (Baron @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 12:56 PM)

#Braves are also fielding some calls on A.J. Pierzynski and Jonny Gomes. Battled-tested, stretch drive acquisition types.

I'm not interested in Gomes...but AJ maybe. He's on a 1 year 2 million dollar deal. 1.3 offensive WAR player(.4 overall).

I'd have interest in Pierzynski if this were last year. But not anymore. Flowers and Soto have done well this year. Combined 1.1 fWar.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 12:56 PM)

If we were to trade for AJ, I'd be willing to give up a guy like Kyle Hansen.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 06:06 PM)
Balta if you could start complaining about LaRoche in every thread and calling him an albatross because of a bad month of play we might not even need to acquire a bat. :D

i will admit this, i was for getting adam laroche and yes i am extremely disappointed in his performance. i thought he would be a really nice signing for a 1 or 2 yr contract. until some unknown prospects can develop or another venture into fa.

but at this point, i am go benching him.... winning is more important than a player who is not carrying his weight .....

but b/c of his contract, he will play regardless of his avg ... or lack of.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 01:12 PM)
Jerry Crasnick ‏@jcrasnick 2m2 minutes ago

A source said chances of Carlos Gonzalez being traded this week are "30-70.'' #Rockies need a better offer to take the plunge.

Lol, is that better or worse than 50-50?

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 01:12 PM)
Jerry Crasnick ‏@jcrasnick 2m2 minutes ago

A source said chances of Carlos Gonzalez being traded this week are "30-70.'' #Rockies need a better offer to take the plunge.

That likely means in order to get him we'd have to trade a prospect I'd be unwilling to give up. Pass.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 01:17 PM)
I think the Rockies take that deal.

Montas,Danks and a filler? I dont see why they would. Especially with speculation on where Montas is going to end up.