White Sox will be buyers at the deadline

southsider2k5

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 02:08 PM)
Quintana Anderson Montas and something else for Longo and pitching prospect. Boom Profit!

In the Fangraphs trade value column they had Quintana at #41 and Longoria just outside the top 50. The price you're paying is steep.

Edited by OmarComing25

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 02:26 PM)
Not really. LaRoche is a whipping boy, but he'll hit again. Wasn't too long ago Melky's contract was an albatross. I was told by one, he wouldn't put up a 4 WAR total from his low point for the balance of the contract. He is already 25% there. He has eked his way back to a positive WAR. LaRoche will hit again.

Any grief LaRoche receives is well deserved. He's been awful. I hope he hits again, and, at some point, he probably will but if I could dump him for anything, I would. He's shown too many Dunn-esque qualities to wait around and hope he turns it around.

I do like that RV isn't just throwing him out there in the middle of the order everyday like he did with Dunn.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 02:23 PM)
Not enough.

Would you give up Quintana for that package if another team had those guys?

Quintana is more valuable than Longoria. Younger, cheaper and hitting the prime of his career.

Longoria is going on 30. So, it's irrelevant in comparing the two.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 03:19 PM)
I don't think the Rays would.

maybe this guy knew the Sox were "buyers" because they have called on some Tigers players. Cespedes would be awesome for the 2nd half.. but could he play RF? Melky already locked into left

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 02:19 PM)
Davidson, Montas, Danish, and Anderson for Longoria

Longoria having sub-par season. There are two recent articles in FL papers about him: "What's wrong with Longoria" He says he doesn't know but it feels like he has never played before. Unquote.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 01:58 PM)
Longoria having sub-par season. There are two recent articles in FL papers about him: "What's wrong with Longoria" He says he doesn't know but it feels like he has never played before. Unquote.

Makes it even better, since the price if he was tearing it up would be impossibly high. He's signed until 2022 and could hold down 3rd for the next 5 years and slide into a DH role or be moved. It would be too good to be true, honestly.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 02:05 PM)
Rodon?

Not sure if Fulmer + Anderson + Montas does it.

Oh come on.

Longoria's value is way, way down.

Elite? Not anymore. Not even in Cameron's top 50 (Quintana is, what, #30?)

This kind of stuff is beyond belief.

Does anyone even look at his numbers? Not only is he way down this season, he was way down last season.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 06:13 PM)
Oh come on.

Longoria's value is way, way down.

Elite? Not anymore. Not even in Cameron's top 50 (Quintana is, what, #30?)

This kind of stuff is beyond belief.

Does anyone even look at his numbers? Not only is he way down this season, he was way down last season.

But you need the Rays to actually be motivated to move him for a reduced price. Do you see them doing that? I sure don't. Jose Abreu is way down from last season but if you want to trade for Jose Abreu, the White Sox would demand the kind of price you'd pay for a 40 HR guy right now because that's who he might be next year again.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 05:17 PM)
But you need the Rays to actually be motivated to move him for a reduced price. Do you see them doing that? I sure don't. Jose Abreu is way down from last season but if you want to trade for Jose Abreu, the White Sox would demand the kind of price you'd pay for a 40 HR guy right now because that's who he might be next year again.

So you don't trade for him.

You find value.

Even if Longoria was Longoria, I wouldn't understand the hero worship. You need 5 starters, 5 members of the bullpen and 8 position players plus DH. The Sox are, what, a .500 team? So what would a vintage Longoria do...turn us into WS contenders? Of course not. He'd add maybe 2 or 3 wins through the end of the season. You trade all of the top tier prospects for that? (it's not like he was ever a Trout or Harper).

It doesn't make any sense to want to go "all in" on these players.

If you want one, you draft him or you trade for him before he reaches hero status. Build the team.

Look at the Pirates - pick up the C for a middle reliever; get their SS/3B cheap on the international market. They have 1 great player that they drafted. They made savvy moves. Sox have made a couple too, like Abreu and Quintana (didn't draft well until recently though, and I still suspect the Sox drafts are 2nd division in quality).

Edited by GreenSox