7/29 White Sox vs Red Sox 6:10 CT

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Baron @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 08:52 PM)
Well he does suck. Facts may get in the way of that but the truth hurts sometimes.

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 08:54 PM)
Yo! I'm still here. I still hate him.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 08:54 PM)
What's your argument for him not sucking exactly?

My argument? Ok, hitting-wise, he's extremely inconsistent and he basically sucks. But, defense at the catcher's position is very important. And while he is a "replacement level" defensive catcher, he is better at throwing runners out (stealing) than Soto, and he is one of the best pitch framers in all of baseball. If framing were a part of WAR, he'd be a positive WAR player. So, yes, he's not a good player, but he doesn't suck.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 08:58 PM)
My argument? Ok, hitting-wise, he's extremely inconsistent and he basically sucks. But, defense at the catcher's position is very important. And while he is a "replacement level" defensive catcher, he is better at throwing runners out (stealing) than Soto, and he is one of the best pitch framers in all of baseball. If framing were a part of WAR, he'd be a positive WAR player. So, yes, he's not a good player, but he doesn't suck.

His defense is in the negative and he ranks 39th out of all catchers via WAR. Soto is much higher.

Edited by Baron

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 08:54 PM)
An 8th inning tested guy would be nice. Webb has thrown pretty well but his radar can go at anytime. Hey, hey, hey its Matt Albers has been decent but would you really trust him in a game you had to win? And Nate Jones is throwing zeroes but fanning no one in the minors. I think he still needs time.

While everything you said is true, I think it would be a complete waste of resources to trade for an 8th inning guy when Nate Jones is hitting a 100 MPH in AAA. Give him a bit more time and the rust should come off. Until then, Petricka & Putnam are more than serviceable in the 8th inning role and Webb & Albers are fine as 6th/7th inning guys.

If you're trading prospects, get a RF that upgrades your defense and allows Avi to get some time at DH.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 08:59 PM)
His defense is in the negative and he ranks 39th out of all catchers via WAR.

Yes, but he is one of the best framers in all of baseball. To me, that counts as defense. Also, while his hitting does usually suck, he does have phases where he'll hit .400 for 7-10 days.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 09:00 PM)
Yes, but he is one of the best framers in all of baseball. To me, that counts as defense. Also, while his hitting does usually suck, he does have phases where he'll hit .400 for 7-10 days.

He frames on offense also when he stands looking at strike 3 all the time.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 10:00 PM)

even if you believe the framing stats as gospel he's not "one of the best". He's above average.

http://www.statcorner.com/CatcherReport.php