Rick Hahn

LDF

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've come around to the thinking that Hahn is comfie in Chicago and perhaps isn't quite as ambitious as I thought (looking to get 100% control). We'll see how it plays out. I can see that if things don't go well at this deadline and the rest of the way him possibly resigning with the idea of taking a full GM job somewhere else.

I think if someone leaves, it will be Kenny looking for a promotion, not the other way around. That of course could change, but I really don't see Hahn resigning and I think Rick knew what he was getting himself into and liked the comfort of working for a known organization and people who had developed him vs. the unknowns of other organizations. He is also still incredibly young and I think we all know KW has other ambitions and will eventually pursue them.

If anyone leaves, I think is obviously Kenny. He really seemed pissed off about not being able to go after the TOR President position, so I don't think he is as content as many people think he is.

If Rick Hahn wanted to leave, he would have done so already at any of the other many chances he has had to do so.

What is the demand for KW though? I was pretty surprised Toronto wanted him. Does he have value in like an advisor role? I guess he's the guy that pushed hard for Jose and won a title but he's also the guy that set the Sox back about half a decade by doubling down on aging vets one time too many.

Overall KW just seems like a fairly mediocre GM but maybe if you don't give him 100% authority it will let his talent evaluation skills shine.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 03:06 PM)
If anyone is wondering, I have a Pages document on my laptop of every single move during Rick Hahn's tenure as GM of the Sox.

Can you tell me his future moves?

I'm not close to the Phillies situation. Cole Hamels was traded to Texas for not much of anything that I can see. I don't know if Hamels wanted to be traded. I do know if I was a Phillies fan, I wouldn't be happy with what the Phillies received in the trade. Two of the so called top prospects the Phillies received are having mediocre seasons this year. With all the talk of the White Sox trading Shark, I hope that if Hahn does trade him they get a better return for him than what the Phillies received for Hamels.

15:$22.5M, 16:$22.5M, 17:$22.5M, 18:$22.5M, 19:$20M club option ($6M buyout)

2019 option guaranteed at $24M if Hamels 1) has 400 IP in 2017-18, including 200 IP in 2018, and 2) is not on the disabled list with a shoulder or elbow injury at the end of the 2018 season

Since we're on his block list, it probably wouldn't have been possible anyway, but $99 million for 4 1/3rd seasons isn't exactly cheap.

That's $22.85 million, on average, per season...for his age 32, 33, 34 and 35 seasons.

It would be the White Sox equivalent of giving up Tim Anderson, Montas and Courtney Hawkins/Micah Johnson, and then you'd have to add in a pitcher who would have roughly the equivalent value as Matt Harrison to the Phillies (not sure who that is on our team, definitely not Danks).

Would any of us think of that as a bargain?

What if we signed a pitcher like Samardzija (both around the same age) for 4 years and $91.5 million? Granted, there's the perception that Hamels is an ace and Samardzija's more of a 2/3 guy, but there's no guarantee that Hamels will be as dominant in the AL, either.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 03:02 PM)
Rick has it easy and is paid a good wage to pick up KW's dry cleaning, find gifts for KW to give his wife, and picking up KW and JR's lunch every day.

C'mon man. Hahn isn't going anywhere. He really isn't the puppet he is made out to be.

No he isn't. KW just has more power. Probably veto power over things. I don't know for sure just my honest opinion. Hahn isn't a puppet. Wouldn't have taken the job if he was.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 02:08 PM)
15:$22.5M, 16:$22.5M, 17:$22.5M, 18:$22.5M, 19:$20M club option ($6M buyout)

2019 option guaranteed at $24M if Hamels 1) has 400 IP in 2017-18, including 200 IP in 2018, and 2) is not on the disabled list with a shoulder or elbow injury at the end of the 2018 season

Since we're on his block list, it probably wouldn't have been possible anyway, but $99 million for 4 1/3rd seasons isn't exactly cheap.

That's $22.85 million, on average, per season...for his age 32, 33, 34 and 35 seasons.

It would be the White Sox equivalent of giving up Tim Anderson, Montas and Courtney Hawkins/Micah Johnson, and then you'd have to add in a pitcher who would have roughly the equivalent value as Matt Harrison to the Phillies (not sure who that is on our team, definitely not Danks).

Would any of us think of that as a bargain?

What if we signed a pitcher like Samardzija (both around the same age) for 4 years and $91.5 million? Granted, there's the perception that Hamels is an ace and Samardzija's more of a 2/3 guy, but there's no guarantee that Hamels will be as dominant in the AL, either.

you got a point but i would take the chance on hamels.... it is moot, considering the cost to get hims. forget about it.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 02:16 PM)
No he isn't. KW just has more power. Probably veto power over things. I don't know for sure just my honest opinion. Hahn isn't a puppet. Wouldn't have taken the job if he was.

yeah .... but the humor and the visual is funny.

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 07:57 AM)
I'm not close to the Phillies situation. Cole Hamels was traded to Texas for not much of anything that I can see. I don't know if Hamels wanted to be traded. I do know if I was a Phillies fan, I wouldn't be happy with what the Phillies received in the trade. Two of the so called top prospects the Phillies received are having mediocre seasons this year. With all the talk of the White Sox trading Shark, I hope that if Hahn does trade him they get a better return for him than what the Phillies received for Hamels.

What? He got a haul.

Basically they got the Rangers top 3 prospects, all rated in the top 100 (So think Anderson, Montas, and Fulmer) plus a major league pitcher, plus two more high end lottery tickets.

The Sox won't get a better return for Samardjiza in a trade for two big reasons.

#1, Samardjiza isn't as good as Hamels.

#2 Hamels is signed for 4 years, Jeff is about to be a free agent.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 03:09 PM)
What? He got a haul.

Basically they got the Rangers top 3 prospects, all rated in the top 100 (So think Anderson, Montas, and Fulmer) plus a major league pitcher, plus two more high end lottery tickets.

The Sox won't get a better return for Samardjiza in a trade for two big reasons.

#1, Samardjiza isn't as good as Hamels.

#2 Hamels is signed for 4 years, Jeff is about to be a free agent.

also the sox are now going for it.

no matter what, it is too late to chg minds now.

Honestly, I think Hahn may like it. My sports psychoanalysis is Rick loves the tactics and details of putting together a plan, but doesn't want to be the one to create the grand strategy.

- Rick, we need to rebuild our farm "I can do that"

- Rick, our window is now, get us a RHP, #2 hitter and bullpen "I can do that"

RIck, create a process and strategy for the organization and deal with the politics to stick to that plan... "Ghhshahahh"

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 07:16 AM)

Kenny himself told the media in June that before anything happens regarding the Sox roster Hahn and his staff have to come to him to talk about it. It strongly appears that he has the authority to say no to anything Hahn does or does not want to do.

Mark

Edited by Lip Man 1

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 10:32 AM)
Kenny himself told the media in June that before anything happens regarding the Sox roster Hahn and his staff have to come to him to lkabout it. I strongly appears that he has the authority to say no to anything Hahn does or does not wan to do.

Mark

That may be more common than people think. Such things as poor defense, scouting, minor league instruction, tells me Kenny and J.R. are still in control.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 12:38 PM)
That may be more common than people think. Such things as poor defense, scouting, minor league instruction, tells me Kenny and J.R. are still in control.

JR absolutely is a "hands-on" owner. I've been told by my sources that more than once, for example, he has "suggested" whom the Sox should pick in the June draft. Which puts his scouting / development folks in an awkward situation. How many times would you feel comfortable going against the wishes of your boss?

Mark

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 06:38 PM)

ahhhh. ref to Jr.... umm he is one of the owners so yeah.

for humor purpose only.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 01:02 PM)
ahhhh. ref to Jr.... umm he is one of the owners so yeah.

for humor purpose only.

JR absolutely is a "hands-on" owner. I've been told by my sources that more than once, for example, he has "suggested" whom the Sox should pick in the June draft. Which puts his scouting / development folks in an awkward situation. How many times would you feel comfortable going against the wishes of your boss?

Mark

Edited by kitekrazy

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 02:08 PM)

Not worth it. He'll either get hurt like they all do, or he'll lose it. They'll be trying to dump the salary next season probably.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 01:13 PM)
Not worth it. He'll either get hurt like they all do, or he'll lose it. They'll be trying to dump the salary next season probably.

Haha, this is your automatic response to every new/big pitcher's contract, you should just write the same sentence over and over again and copyright it.

This could be your issue, along with encroaching danger from police, random acts of violence, firearms and Trump Mania.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 08:04 PM)

Mark

problem is, i have on many occasion.

but them again i used to worked for the gov and there is a reek of stupidity that comes the upper management dpt. :lol: