Rick Hahn

LDF

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 1, 2015 -> 10:51 AM)
This is rich, no matter what happens, you have a defense for the organization...par for the course. Surely you've scouted all those guys who were acquired and have already deduced they're all going to end up as busts.

Since nobody knows the actual offers on the table (and when they were made, Hahn was supposedly ready to fold 4-6 weeks ago), we will never know, all the we can do is surmise. Kind of a pointless exercise, although those who think it was wise to hold onto Samardzija will surely be outnumbered by a 3:1 ratio.

Next you will try to spin that their strategy all along was to position themselves at the very bottom of the also-rans, but not far enough out of the race that they couldn't pick off all those players from the waiver wire like Jay Bruce, CarGo, Justin Upton, Ethier, etc.

Brilliant! Why don't teams just do that every season? We can play chicken with other organizations and end up with another Alex Rios in 2009...who will help us about half the time and the other half we'll want to strangle him and whose salary will be so bloated it will prevent us from making other moves for younger players who might actually be in their primes from 2016-2019.

Both sides of the fence to you: We want them to not waste top 3-4 minor league prospects on a rental but still trade Samardzija and take our chances with EJ if there's no way to do a bigger trade like Puig and 4/5 starter for Quintana.

So, in your world, there's only buying or selling, and a combination of both those is way too complex to understand? If you bothered to read, I agreed with nearly everyone we shouldn't overpay for a rental and that we'd probably end up getting someone like Mike Napoli as a waiver claim (albeit too late). Maybe Valencia now, who knows. KW trading Anderson or Montas or Micah or even EJ for Upton/Cespedes would have been insane, especially the first two players.

In the end, there's no way in hell that fans will expect much of anything from whoever they draft with that pick...because analysis of all those picks outside of the Top 3 every year shows not to expect much of picks in 20's, 30's and 40's as a general rule of thumb. But we won't really know if it was a bad pick until 2018 or 2019 so perhaps fans won't even care as much by then if the White Sox are actually competing for the playoffs.

At least it was entertaining for you to argue the Royals had blown all their chances to compete after this season by blowing their wad on Cueto and Zobrist...somehow KC was the only team dumb enough to pay such exorbidant rates for 2 month rentals.

Then tell me what were they supposed to trade for Cespedes or Upton, and link me to the offers for Samardzija. I stated yesterday, ideally they could do both, but you have to have cooperation from the other side. I gave you what Leake cost, why would Samardzija be more? Cespedes would have at least cost Montas, or Eric Johnson and another player because if the offers are the same, Detroit isn't going to help the White Sox.Not one team traded with SD despite rumors. The asking prices had to be ridiculous. So, just tell me what they could have done, without you saying they overpayed or got ripped off. Enough of the jump on the bandwagon of the day and throw as much bulls*** out there as you can. Try to be at least semi-logical.

Edited by Dick Allen

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You and I were among the first to question Samardzija's value in his trade thread. His bad start and rental status does not scream huge return, thats for sure. Also remember neither of us wanted to make the trade in the first place when it was first mentioned last November. >>> i understand, but if the sox were in the trade him process, this idea of what is being offered would have been anticipated and been adequately work on. there was a window of decision making that needed to adhere to, and it was done in this period that everything fell apart and the no trade decision was made.

I don't buy into the three year window bulls*** as its just another play on words term used by the FO for the fans. But that's just my opinion. ;) >>> i agree. :lol:

I think that in the end, the offers for Samardzija were much less than what most fans anticipated. Next year's draft is supposed to have more talent so maybe the Sox figured the comp pick has more value than the offers they received. Just a guess. >>> again, the question, for me at least is when was the decision to trade him

QUOTE (scs787 @ Aug 1, 2015 -> 09:13 AM)
I can't see how not trading HURT the "Rebuilding". It didn't help it right now, but it certainly didn't hurt it.

Exactly and the money attached to that comp pick is going to give Rick and co. some flexibility in the draft.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Aug 1, 2015 -> 11:01 PM)
Exactly and the money attached to that comp pick is going to give Rick and co. some flexibility in the draft.

the key words is 2 phrases that the sox have stated.

1. rebuilding

2. 3-yr plan.

so it is so simple. the rebuilding plan is to fix and field a team that has been improved.

so drafting and improving via draft is a good thing, but the problem i am having is a simple attempt to confuse and vindicate themselves... ok, so nothing is done, why the need to tell the masses? so what, unless it is to convince their fan based all is well.

furthermore, there are some inconsistency in what is being said, other teams statements and the sox statement.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Aug 1, 2015 -> 05:01 PM)

Who was the last successful fielder drafted by your Chicago White Sox?

Would it be Beckham? Is that a success?

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Aug 1, 2015 -> 05:50 PM)
Who was the last successful fielder drafted by your Chicago White Sox?

Would it be Beckham? Is that a success?

So you would rather have no/less flexibility in the draft?

Edit:

Everyone knows that the Sox haven't had success drafting position players in the draft the past 10 To 12 years. That doesn't mean that the Sox should just avoid that as an avenue (aliteration*) to influx the system with talent and stop doing things that could set them up for success in the draft. Let me guess, you would love for the Sox to be able to trade all their picks for aging veterans.

Edited by Joshua Strong

QUOTE (LDF @ Aug 1, 2015 -> 12:13 PM)
You and I were among the first to question Samardzija's value in his trade thread. His bad start and rental status does not scream huge return, thats for sure. Also remember neither of us wanted to make the trade in the first place when it was first mentioned last November. >>> i understand, but if the sox were in the trade him process, this idea of what is being offered would have been anticipated and been adequately work on. there was a window of decision making that needed to adhere to, and it was done in this period that everything fell apart and the no trade decision was made.

I don't buy into the three year window bulls*** as its just another play on words term used by the FO for the fans. But that's just my opinion. ;) >>> i agree. :lol:

I think that in the end, the offers for Samardzija were much less than what most fans anticipated. Next year's draft is supposed to have more talent so maybe the Sox figured the comp pick has more value than the offers they received. Just a guess. >>> again, the question, for me at least is when was the decision to trade him

Honestly, there's no way for us fans to know if it was decided that Samardzija would or would not be traded. Same goes for the packages that might have been offered. Without knowing, all we as fans can do is speculate or just move on from in hopes the Sox made the right call.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 01:02 PM)
Rick has it easy and is paid a good wage to pick up KW's dry cleaning, find gifts for KW to give his wife, and picking up KW and JR's lunch every day.

C'mon man. Hahn isn't going anywhere. He really isn't the puppet he is made out to be.

I'll believe that when he's able to pick his own manager. It's true in any other major sport -- a GM's first big decision is the coach/manager he chooses to lead the team he builds. Rick inherited RV. Not saying he doesn't like him but that decision was all Kenny Williams, as Kenny will be happy to tell you.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 1, 2015 -> 10:21 AM)
Then tell me what were they supposed to trade for Cespedes or Upton, and link me to the offers for Samardzija. I stated yesterday, ideally they could do both, but you have to have cooperation from the other side. I gave you what Leake cost, why would Samardzija be more? Cespedes would have at least cost Montas, or Eric Johnson and another player because if the offers are the same, Detroit isn't going to help the White Sox.Not one team traded with SD despite rumors. The asking prices had to be ridiculous. So, just tell me what they could have done, without you saying they overpayed or got ripped off. Enough of the jump on the bandwagon of the day and throw as much bulls*** out there as you can. Try to be at least semi-logical.

Semi-logical is not to even waste time arguing about things we'll probably never know it won't know until KW or Hahn write "tell all, this is what really happened" books 10-15 years from now.

Semi-logical is to be somewhat skeptical of what this front office's plan is until there's clear evidence of the plan working.

As far as that goes, Avi Garcia has been a pretty big disappointment, it's hard to say Rodon has made great strides forward with his command/control and developing confidence in his change-up (even his biggest supporters will admit he's been inconsistent), Adam Eaton has admitted his defense has been terrible this season and Jose Abreu has been very good but not great.

We can make assumptions that Alexei, Tyler Saladino and Carlos will continue to play as well as they have recently, and that Melky's "back to normal" but it's probably better to wait and see how they perform over these next six series with superior competition before drawing any conclusions.

Edited by caulfield12

I don't buy into the three year window bulls*** as its just another play on words term used by the FO for the fans. But that's just my opinion. ;)

Perhaps someone can clarify that "three year" statement for me.

Have the Sox ever said EXACTLY what they are talking about when they refer to a "three year" plan / window? Three years to accomplish exactly what?

* Win the World Series?

* Play in a World Series?

* Make the playoffs?

* Have a "winning" season

* Three year's until they have to trade Sale because he's about to become a free agent?

What are we talking about here?

Have the Sox ever said? Not to my knowledge but I may have miseed something along those lines.

Thanks,

Mark

Edited by Lip Man 1

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Aug 1, 2015 -> 08:17 PM)

Have the Sox ever said EXACTLY what they are talking about when they refer to a "three year" plan / window? Three years to accomplish exactly what?

* Win the World Series?

* Make the playoffs?

* Three year's until they have to trade Sale because he's about to become a free agent?

Have the Sox ever said? Not to my knowledge but I may have miseed something along those lines.

Thanks,

Mark

3 years before fans are allowed to complain. So stop talking.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Aug 1, 2015 -> 11:59 PM)
Honestly, there's no way for us fans to know if it was decided that Samardzija would or would not be traded. Same goes for the packages that might have been offered. Without knowing, all we as fans can do is speculate or just move on from in hopes the Sox made the right call.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 2, 2015 -> 12:57 AM)
Semi-logical is not to even waste time arguing about things we'll probably never know it won't know until KW or Hahn write "tell all, this is what really happened" books 10-15 years from now.

Semi-logical is to be somewhat skeptical of what this front office's plan is until there's clear evidence of the plan working.

well you are both correct and in many times i do say that no one know what is said or being agreed to, unless someone from the group spills the beans.

for me, as i have said, the things being said and what the sox have said, doesn't add up. all i did was posted my thoughts and explanation as to why i am saying those things.

i just don't like being lied to, or being talk down to, like i can piece things together unless someone does it for me. this is my opinion on this. i am not naive.

ultimately i believe this was a bad situation that took the final decision to the deadline. beside my opinion, i wonder what the rest of the league is thinking, so this is my reasoning.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Aug 2, 2015 -> 01:17 AM)
quote name='LDF' date='Aug 1, 2015 -> 11:13 AM'

I don't buy into the three year window bulls*** as its just another play on words term used by the FO for the fans. But that's just my opinion. ;)

* Win the World Series?

* Make the playoffs?

Thanks,

Mark

excellent post.

define the 3yr plan to accomplish what??

simple :drink