Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers to Houston

Bigsoxhurt35

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 10:26 AM)
The reports I heard this morning were that it was actually the Mets who rejected the trade due to concerns over Gomez hip. That was at least what I heard on the ESPN radio update on my drive in this AM.

Yeah I heard that too which blows up the idea they are still going to trade him by Friday.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 08:29 AM)
Yeah I heard that too which blows up the idea they are still going to trade him by Friday.

It isn't like he's out though. It does probably reduce the price they could get, so maybe the Brewers think it is best to hold on. I'd think at this point, maybe Gomez goes for a little less then expected and that might end up being a good thing.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 01:31 PM)
The more I read about this, the more it seems like the whole thing was a publicity stunt by the Mets. Show the fans you really, really, really wanted an offensive upgrade, and then flunk the physical.

I could see that, especially with all the "cheap" comments coming from the fanbase. Blame it on health, not money.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 04:32 PM)
Carlos Gomez and Mike Friers to Houston

Wow, love the aggression out of Houston. As Dick pointed out earlier, the addition of the wild card play in game put a greater emphasis on winning the division and Houston has clearly upgraded their roster to try and keep them ahead of the Angels.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 05:38 PM)
Ugh, AL has gotten much tougher in the last 24 hours

We are 5-1 against that sorry Astros team, haha.

It's not always who you play, it's when you play 'em. Certainly the case for White Sox opponents in the last month.

They also announced Jed Lowrie is returning and will start at 3B, so that pushes out Valbuena/Marwin Gonzalez but provides you much better defense and more of a contact hitter to go with all those boppers.

Edited by caulfield12

Chris Cotillo ‏@ChrisCotillo 2m2 minutes ago

Chris Cotillo retweeted Ken Rosenthal

Per @MLBPipeline, numbers 2, 7, 14, 21 in Astros' system. Chris Cotillo added,

Ken Rosenthal @Ken_Rosenthal

Complete deal: OF Gomez and RHP Fiers from #Brewers to #Astros for OF Phillips, LHP Hader, OF Santana and RHP Houser.

https://twitter.com/ChrisCotillo

QUOTE (Baron @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 06:47 PM)
Chris Cotillo ‏@ChrisCotillo 2m2 minutes ago

Chris Cotillo retweeted Ken Rosenthal

Per @MLBPipeline, numbers 2, 7, 14, 21 in Astros' system. Chris Cotillo added,

Ken Rosenthal @Ken_Rosenthal

Complete deal: OF Gomez and RHP Fiers from #Brewers to #Astros for OF Phillips, LHP Hader, OF Santana and RHP Houser.

https://twitter.com/ChrisCotillo

Damn that's a lot. Maybe that's why we're looking to rent.

Well here's the thing. The Mets package was significantly worse. You would think if there was anything to his hip issue the Astros wouldnt give up that haul. After all they are the ones that found an issue with Aiken. Mets are incredibly stupid. It had to be a money issue.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 07:05 PM)
By the way, Zach Wheeler the #11 prospect a few years back and actually has had a ton of major league success at a young age. So I have a hard time saying that the Astros gave up more then the Mets.

Id rather take the Astros package over a SP coming of TJ and a nobody SS..

Phillips is raking in the minors and Santana (albiet SUPER small sample) already out OPSing Gomez.. I think both will be pretty nice players in the future