AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!

southsider2k5

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 08:32 PM)
Really happy for Sanchez. Love the walks from Saladino.

Same! Thrilled that he's turned around and really looks confident up there. Saladino had his first taste of adversity the other night with 2 errors. He's going to make some mistakes but I hope he fights through it and doesn't lose confidence.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 04:27 AM)
Melky's last 33 games:

.385 5 HRs 25 RBI 9 BB 21 Runs 15 doubles and 2 triples and a partridge in a pear tree.

Melky's bat might be the one thing that woke up our squad. Abreu has seemed to have shaken his funk. Lot of guys are stroking hits now. Melky would be the unofficial MVP offensively. I'd say the turnaround of late is the Melky-led offense and the Saladino/Lexi/Sanchez led defense to go with the fierce foursome mound corps. Nice pick at first today by Abreu as well.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 04:37 AM)
He's going to add AJP

I love AJP but don't want him back. I would assume he's not any better at throwing guys out and I would suspect he pops up a lot like he used to. He's too old. If we're gonna bring back world champs, bring back Buehrle even though we don't really need him right now.

Mea culpa. I obviously know absolutely nothing about baseball. After losing 3 out of 4 to the Royals, I thought the Sox should be sellers. I wanted to wave the white flag from the highest yardarm. They were a listless team that couldn't play offense and couldn't play defense. I thought, I, I, . . . well what do I know.

OK. I'll bite. Go Sox. Go, go Sox. Let's Go Sox. I am now officially emotionally invested. Dadgummit. Now I have to sit down, strap it on, and hunker down. This team is better than the roller coasters at Great America.

QUOTE (reiks12 @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 10:28 PM)
Am I the only one who wants the sox to stand pat?

The only significant piece I am in favor of moving is Samardzija, because he is an expiring asset. I don't want to add a major leaguer if it means trading one of our top prospects. This season has been too horrendous prior to July for me to think this is sustainable. We are exciting, but are also beating up on 2 horrible teams.

If you can swing a 3-team trade for a major leaguer and all we lose is Samardzija and some mid level minor leaguers, then fine.

QUOTE (BigFinn @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 05:17 AM)
Mea culpa. I obviously know absolutely nothing about baseball. After losing 3 out of 4 to the Royals, I thought the Sox should be sellers. I wanted to wave the white flag from the highest yardarm. They were a listless team that couldn't play offense and couldn't play defense. I thought, I, I, . . . well what do I know.

OK. I'll bite. Go Sox. Go, go Sox. Let's Go Sox. I am now officially emotionally invested. Dadgummit. Now I have to sit down, strap it on, and hunker down. This team is better than the roller coasters at Great America.

Good post, Big Finn. I thought I knew baseball, too. The Sox won a few games, sure, but always played horrific enough during little losing streaks to fall to 7-8 below .500. I figured once 7-8 under .500 a big-time losing streak on a road trip (like this one) would put them 13-15 under .500 and that finally would be that. Now I figure the law of averages suggests we can't immediately follow a good streak by losing a lot and falling 7-8 games back AGAIN. As of today I also believe.

If the Sox keep catching the ball and Melky keeps hitting like this, I'm confident the pitching will be there like it normally is. They might have fooled us again, but let's hope not. I'd love to play the one game wild card and see what happens. If we win that and the pitching rotation was set right, we might make the Royals sweat a bit.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 12:05 AM)
Good post, Big Finn. I thought I knew baseball, too. The Sox won a few games, sure, but always played horrific enough during little losing streaks to fall to 7-8 below .500. I figured once 7-8 under .500 a big-time losing streak on a road trip (like this one) would put them 13-15 under .500 and that finally would be that. Now I figure the law of averages suggests we can't immediately follow a good streak by losing a lot and falling 7-8 games back AGAIN. As of today I also believe.

If the Sox keep catching the ball and Melky keeps hitting like this, I'm confident the pitching will be there like it normally is. They might have fooled us again, but let's hope not. I'd love to play the one game wild card and see what happens. If we win that and the pitching rotation was set right, we might make the Royals sweat a bit.

Except we'd be making the Astros/Angels sweat if Sale was lined up...

QUOTE (Baron @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 08:40 PM)
Are you being serious or sarcastic? I mentioned that earlier but people shot that down quick

Wouldn't be too farfetched actually. He could split catcher duties with Soto and Flowers . Allows Soto to be the RH'ed guy at DH to split time with LaRoche. That would be a more productive bench than always having a guy or 2 we don't play like Beckham , Bonifacio and Leury.

Downside is, of course , it's AJ . But Rock is kidding. His source dried up.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (BigFinn @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 09:17 PM)

Problem is you still might be right. It's great the Sox got everyone all excited again by winning on the road against bad teams. The law of averages or the ultra popular "regressing to the mean" is playing out right now. For most of the season the Sox sucked at getting XBH . Now it seems like every other hit is of the XB variety.

Sucks to be the guys to make decisions now because a hot 1 1/2 weeks is supposed to determine the whole season ?

August schedule is tough starting with the Yankees at US Cellular. Yankees could still make a huge move so they might be even better. Then TB Rays, one of our competitors for the WC.

Then 3 on the road against the Royals with Cueto and Zobrist.

Back home for 6 against the Angels and Cubs at the Cell. Cubs still may make a major trade .

Edit: I have a hard time with the term "regressing to the mean" when things are moving in a positive direction. Regressing is such a downer word :P I think reversion to the mean would be more accurate.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 01:05 AM)

:lol: