Carlos Gomez

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 09:27 PM)
He's 30, age of decline.

Too expensive in terms of prospects.

Sox don't need a CF.

he's signed for only another year.

And if people would look at numbers, and not reputation, they would see his OPS is a modest .761 this year...the decline may be under way.

He's 29 . Birthday isn't till December . Never mind the facts. What ? Eaton can't play RF ? He'd last longer and Gomez is the better fielder. Also a "modest" .761 OPS would be 2nd on the Sox among regulars behind Abreu.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 09:15 PM)
Mets backed out of the trade because of concerns with Gomez's hip. Per Rosenthal

And there is this so 2 reliable writers hearing things opposite.

@BNightengale: The #Brewers rejected the #Mets trade because of concerns over Wheeler"s physical and still plan to trade Gomez by Friday.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 11:11 AM)
He's 29 . Birthday isn't till December . Never mind the facts. What ? Eaton can't play RF ? He'd last longer and Gomez is the better fielder. Also a "modest" .761 OPS would be 2nd on the Sox among regulars behind Abreu.

i can agree with the idea of the cost of prospect being too much, however the sox don't need him for any longer amount of time. the sox need him to add a continuous spark to this hot hitting team to help carry the team into the playoff.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 06:00 AM)
i can agree with the idea of the cost of prospect being too much, however the sox don't need him for any longer amount of time. the sox need him to add a continuous spark to this hot hitting team to help carry the team into the playoff.

Exactly. I wouldn't mind Gomez (or even Reddick) if a deal was centered around Garcia and a pitcher (Adams?). Maybe Hawkins will be ready to take over in 17? He can't be worse than Garcia right?

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 04:00 AM)

Do you realize that Zack Wheeler had Tommy John surgery and just started throwing again and won't even be available til June/July of 2016 ? Yes he is young (25) and talented but will he be as talented when he recovers ?

I'd say its much more likely the Brewers stopped the trade because of Wheelers health rather than the Mets nixing it because of Gomez.

Gomez is 30 with an OPS .751. What exactly is that worth? Top prospect? Not in my opinion. Avi is 24 and I don't get the zeal to dump him.

Gomez is worth Avi but certainly not Avi and the top prospect like Adams or Montas. Maybe you throw in a 10 to 15 rated prospect. Or better yet use a 15 to 20 rid of prospect get a situational hitter like the angels got.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 07:39 AM)
Gomez is 30 with an OPS .751. What exactly is that worth? Top prospect? Not in my opinion. Avi is 24 and I don't get the zeal to dump him.

Gomez is worth Avi but certainly not Avi and the top prospect like Adams or Montas. Maybe you throw in a 10 to 15 rated prospect. Or better yet use a 15 to 20 rid of prospect get a situational hitter like the angels got.

Well you completely ignore defense in this analysis, but let's not even consider a deal because you know, hero worshipping.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 05:39 AM)

29 again !

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/batting/_/pos...ARBR/order/true

Even Adam Eaton (despite the terrible start) has Carlos Gomez beaten in the WAR battle.

Gomez's defensive numbers must be down from where they were a couple of seasons ago.

I wouldn't give up Montas and Micah, and I'm not sure pushing Eaton to RF is a great idea, either. It would certainly improve our outfield defense overall, but the cost would be pretty high considering Gomez for 1.33 years vs. Montas/Micah and whatever they get out of Avi for 5-6 seasons each.

Seems like an overpay...but it all depends on the eventual MLB role of Montas.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 01:24 PM)
Do you realize that Zack Wheeler had Tommy John surgery and just started throwing again and won't even be available til June/July of 2016 ? Yes he is young (25) and talented but will he be as talented when he recovers ?

I'd say its much more likely the Brewers stopped the trade because of Wheelers health rather than the Mets nixing it because of Gomez.

i know of wheeler, but tor this discussion, lets assume we are talking about my org post.

i was talking about Gomez and only gomez. if there is some concerns about his hips, i am in the thinking, ok, but the sox don't really need longer than season 2016. let him walk after that yr.

this person can add the little spark to help the sox continue in their unbelievable streak. just to give the team more momentum for the last months of the season and playoff.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 06:29 AM)
Read a tweet that Mets axed it because of Gomez hip. Scares me away.

If you read the threads more you'd also see there was a tweet (Nightengale) about the Brewers nixing it because of Wheeler. I mean whats more likely the Mets stopping it because of a guy who is playing or the Brewers stopping it because a guy had TJ surgery and just started throwing and won't play til June 2016 ?

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 06:36 AM)
i know of wheeler, but tor this discussion, lets assume we are talking about my org post.

i was talking about Gomez and only gomez. if there is some concerns about his hips, i am in the thinking, ok, but the sox don't really need longer than season 2016. let him walk after that yr.

this person can add the little spark to help the sox continue in their unbelievable streak. just to give the team more momentum for the last months of the season and playoff.

So tell me why again the Sox don't need a very good player for 2016 at $7M a year when he's likely to get at least double that in the open market ? There has never been anything wrong with his hip. Hamstring soreness yes, hip no .

Edit: I will say that when I said there has never been anything wrong with his hip that means currently . He had problem earlier with it but not now.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 02:38 PM)
So tell me why again the Sox don't need a very good player for 2016 at $7M a year when he's likely to get at least double that in the open market ? There has never been anything wrong with his hip. Hamstring soreness yes, hip no .

per mlb rumors, the deal was nixed b/c of the health factor of both players involved.

second, if his injury concerns are nothing, fine, deal with the contract extension, i am more concerned on this season and post play.

the sox are going to it. ok fine, we as fans can't chg that, so lets go for it.

i am more like billy beane attitude of moving players to help the team that yr. granted i am not talking about emptying out the farm for Gomez. i want to win and if anything, he may be able to ...

that is all.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 06:09 AM)
What about Avi, Montas and M. Johnson for Gomez? I would do that

It is time the Sox started thinking more about defense and less about the future of Avi's hitting abilities. Giving up 2 defensive liabilities and a current fireballing starter but projected reliever isn't bad at all . I'd only offer Montas and Micah first. Or Avi and Montas depending on who the Brewerrs like more.

I have stuck up for Avi as much as anyone here but a talent like Gomez is hard to pass up at his salary and for next year too. Avi is a hole right now no matter how good you think his future could be.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 02:59 PM)
It is time the Sox started thinking more about defense and less about the future of Avi's hitting abilities. Giving up 2 defensive liabilities and a current fireballing starter but projected reliever isn't bad at all . I'd only offer Montas and Micah first. Or Avi and Montas depending on who the Brewerrs like more.

I have stuck up for Avi as much as anyone here but a talent like Gomez is hard to pass up at his salary and for next year too. Avi is a hole right now no matter how good you think his future could be.

you have a great point.

in addition, the brews needs pitching.