Carlos Gomez

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 09:00 AM)
No thanks to Gomez.

Pretty funny coming from the guy pushing Carlos Gonzalez, and Quintana for Puig.

I like all the above options, but Carlos Gomez is probably the best overall player of any of them, and he's signed to a very team friendly deal. I think I like Carlos Gonzalez move the best, just because it will cost the least in terms of prospects, and I am not the one paying the check (altho, I do realize it may hamstring us in other areas). The Quintana for Puig idea is asinine.

i like both Cargo's but prefer Gonzalez because he fits the Sox needs better and will probably cost less to acquire. i still think to acquire either, they have to move LaRoche and move Avi to DH and go with that lineup rather than trying to find aat bats for both Avi and Adam.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 09:28 AM)
i like both Cargo's but prefer Gonzalez because he fits the Sox needs better and will probably cost less to acquire. i still think to acquire either, they have to move LaRoche and move Avi to DH and go with that lineup rather than trying to find aat bats for both Avi and Adam.

Or you trade Avi and some low level guy for Gonzalez.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 10:29 AM)
Or you trade Avi and some low level guy for Gonzalez.

i'm not a fan of trading Avi. To me, he's the kind of potential guy you keep in the long term plans. Granted, LaRoche will be very tough to move without the Sox taking salary in return or eating some of it themselves.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 08:02 AM)
That was insightful.

Everything I've read is he's going to continue to be banged up and the Mets flunked him so there's gotta be at least something to it. I'd rather get CarGo over him. Would be a cheaper option prospect wise and COL will have to eat some of the money. Plus CarGo has better numbers offensively and is fully healthy.

Edited by SouthSideSale

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 03:24 PM)
Pretty funny coming from the guy pushing Carlos Gonzalez, and Quintana for Puig.

I like all the above options, but Carlos Gomez is probably the best overall player of any of them, and he's signed to a very team friendly deal. I think I like Carlos Gonzalez move the best, just because it will cost the least in terms of prospects, and I am not the one paying the check (altho, I do realize it may hamstring us in other areas). The Quintana for Puig idea is asinine.

i really don't know about that. the upside is what i am really looking at.

the upside with additional fans,

the upside with media attention

the upside with the offensive numbers.

all this Q can't provide and hasn't provided.

as i said, i can see the reason. and on any given moment, i and flopping on. i will still asked for a prospect from the dodgers as well.

ok, so i am sometime delusional.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 09:33 AM)
i'm not a fan of trading Avi. To me, he's the kind of potential guy you keep in the long term plans. Granted, LaRoche will be very tough to move without the Sox taking salary in return or eating some of it themselves.

I agree, it's crazy to me how many people are down and willing to throw Avi away. The dude is 24 years old, and even with stinking it up for. Month is still batting .260. No idea why we would give up on someone with his talent at that age. I guess it's normal round here though we are always tough on players but giving up Avi now is a major mistake.

Edited by Frank_Thomas35

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 08:24 AM)

Puig is a young impact bat. Carlos is 30 and not putting up great numbers.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 08:24 AM)

No it isn't. Sometimes to get a good impact bat ya gotta give up pitching. We've shown the ability to draft and develop pitching. Hell even take a guy off the scrap heap and turn him around into a borderline ace.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 09:37 AM)

Not even a mention of any Sox rumors anywhere on twitter, not even getting mentioned. Seems eerily quiet on the Sox front unfortunately

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 08:36 AM)
If you read the threads more you'd also see there was a tweet (Nightengale) about the Brewers nixing it because of Wheeler. I mean whats more likely the Mets stopping it because of a guy who is playing or the Brewers stopping it because a guy had TJ surgery and just started throwing and won't play til June 2016 ?

The team that is trying to make the playoffs, IMO

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 09:39 AM)
No it isn't. Sometimes to get a good impact bat ya gotta give up pitching. We've shown the ability to draft and develop pitching. Hell even take a guy off the scrap heap and turn him around into a borderline ace.

Ok, well I have explained to you why it is multiple times, so agree to disagree. But I'd bet my house the Sox wouldn't make this trade. It would be a very short sighted move.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 03:37 PM)
I agree, it's crazy to me how many people are down and willing to throw Avi away. The dude is 24 years old, and even with stinking it up for. Month is still batting .260. No idea why we would give up on someone with his talent at that age. I guess it's normal round here though we are always tough on players but giving up Avi now is a major mistake.

question, giving up Avi for whom???

QUOTE (GoGoSox2k2 @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 08:40 AM)
Not even a mention of any Sox rumors anywhere on twitter, not even getting mentioned. Seems eerily quiet on the Sox front unfortunately

I'm telling ya man. The silent assassin is at work. I'd be shocked to not see a big move by the deadline let alone today.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 03:42 PM)
Ok, well I have explained to you why it is multiple times, so agree to disagree. But I'd bet my house the Sox wouldn't make this trade. It would be a very short sighted move.

this is a what if conversation.... it is not real.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 09:37 AM)

Yet, Gomez is still worth 1 WAR more than Puig this year and has spent time on the DL. Since Puig has been in the league, Gomez has been worth 14.9 WAR versus Puig's 10.9. So, I digress.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 09:42 AM)
I'm telling ya man. The silent assassin is at work. I'd be shocked to not see a big move by the deadline let alone today.

speculation or have you heard anything.. i know Rock and Bucket have some connections.. not sure if you did too or just your speculation

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 08:59 AM)
It is time the Sox started thinking more about defense and less about the future of Avi's hitting abilities. Giving up 2 defensive liabilities and a current fireballing starter but projected reliever isn't bad at all . I'd only offer Montas and Micah first. Or Avi and Montas depending on who the Brewerrs like more.

I have stuck up for Avi as much as anyone here but a talent like Gomez is hard to pass up at his salary and for next year too. Avi is a hole right now no matter how good you think his future could be.

You don't need to trade that much to get 2 years of a .751 OPS in the outfield that can play good defense.

If that's the brewers price, find another player.

Heck the Jays got 4 years of Tulo (far better player than Gomez) for that kind of price.

Wait until December and find another Eaton type trade. Micah is raking in AAA...trade him to a team that has excess OF prospects. Or he alone for Gomez.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 10:07 AM)
We're not allowed to trade anyone under the age of 25 for anyone over the age of 25, doesn't matter who the players are.

Hah, I know you're being factious, but it is going to be a quiet deadline then!

I love when people rip KW for trading prospects for veterans, even admitting the prospects for the most part weren't very good, but still insisting it has destroyed the franchise, get a thread going like this. Advocating more KW-type moves. If they were wrong before,(which I don't believe) they are wrong now.