Sox Looking at Upton

Jose Abreu

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 08:40 AM)
Don't think Correla is related to Upton. Words is Astros looking at Ross and or Kimbrel.

But I'd be shocked if the Padres were only seeking a young SS in trades for some of their players on the block. I think it's more likely they're asking all teams for young SSs.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 09:39 AM)
Pure speculation. Only thing we've heard is teams are asking for Anderson and we balked.

Are the Sox most likely going to plug Anderson in at SS next year? I know that Alexei is likely gone, but is Anderson the guy?

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 09:42 AM)
Are the Sox most likely going to plug Anderson in at SS next year? I know that Alexei is likely gone, but is Anderson the guy?

That's what it sounded like from Levine this morning. He said next year for Tim Anderson

Tim Anderson is too much for a couple months of Upton, but IMO Rondon is not enough. Yeah, I know, best defense ever blah blah, but the guy can't even hit .230 in single A. I wouldn't want that incredible defense in the Majors if it's hitting below the Mendoza line, and neither would the Padres.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 09:42 AM)

I don't think Anderson will be our SS until either halfway through next year or 2017. I think Saladino or Sanchez will cover it next year so Anderson can have more time to develop.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 09:07 AM)
I'd like to see some statistical proof of that. I feel this is more of a AAAA phenomenon.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prosp...s/all-time#1990

Dominating the minors would probably put you in the top 20 prospects in all of baseball. I'm not saying EJ is a top 20 guy (he was #63 in 2014), especially because his dominating stretch is still a pretty small sample size, but I was more making an overall point about dominant minor league numbers. I went through that list from 1990-2000 and 45% of the prospects ranked in the top 20 played at least 1000 games (goes over 50% if the cutoff is down to 900 games instead of 1000) and that's not even counting all the pitchers who don't get that high but definitely did enough to stick around. 900-1000 games is 6+ seasons, I think that qualifies as sticking at the major league level.

Edited by OmarComing25

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 07:41 AM)
So they aren't trading Anderson, you know they love Micah,so it would take a whole lot to get him, and Montas surely won't move for a rental.

The Sox are going to be hanging on to their top guys. No need to get riled up over nothing.

I'm sure they love Micah a lot less now since Sanchez has emerged fielded so well and the stick has been on fire.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 09:42 AM)
But I'd be shocked if the Padres were only seeking a young SS in trades for some of their players on the block. I think it's more likely they're asking all teams for young SSs.

I think your right they also are trying to get the Yankees SS prospect in a deal for Kimbrel.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 09:46 AM)
I'm sure they love Micah a lot less now since Sanchez has emerged fielded so well and the stick has been on fire.

I doubt it. And even if they did, there is zero chance they would trade him for a rental for a shot at a 1 game playoff.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 09:49 AM)
If Montas can be the centerpiece of an Upton deal then I'd trade him in a heartbeat.

I agree, but I don't know if many others would. Of our top pitching prospects, I think he's the one that is most likely to be a bust.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 09:43 AM)
That's what it sounded like from Levine this morning. He said next year for Tim Anderson

There is no chance Tim Anderson is the starting SS on opening day 2016 for the Sox. It will be Alexei. Maybe, just maybe, it Alexei sucks balls, they'll call up Anderson midseason, or maybe, they'll let Saladino or Sanchez give it a go, but it won't be Anderson.

Admittedly, I haven't watched Anderson in person, but by all accounts he is extremely raw. His defense has improved ten fold since last season, but he'd still be an absolute butcher at SS in the majors. Give him time.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 09:51 AM)
I agree, but I don't know if many others would. Of our top pitching prospects, I think he's the one that is most likely to be a bust.

The thing is, if you are willing to trade Montas, you can get a whole lot more value than 2 months of Upton.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 07:49 AM)
I doubt it. And even if they did, there is zero chance they would trade him for a rental for a shot at a 1 game playoff.

I don't believe they would either but he might be on the short list of our top prospects along with Montas with whom to trade for a non rental.

Actually our top 5 prospects could all be top 100 guys if they hadnt either faltered some ( Eric Johnson ) or been brought up(Micah Johnson) Montas, Anderson, Fulmer all in MLB Pipeline's top 100 plus EJ used to be until his meltdown but has come back very strong and Micah would be quite high if only he could field decently.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 09:56 AM)
Frankie Montas for 2 months of Justin Upton to hope for a 1 game playoff? Way too much.

Yep. Especially where the 1 game playoff is still a long shot. I'm not even sure the Sox shouldn't still be selling but they sure as hell should not be giving up anyone of real value for a rental.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 09:55 AM)
There is no chance Tim Anderson is the starting SS on opening day 2016 for the Sox. It will be Alexei. Maybe, just maybe, it Alexei sucks balls, they'll call up Anderson midseason, or maybe, they'll let Saladino or Sanchez give it a go, but it won't be Anderson.

Admittedly, I haven't watched Anderson in person, but by all accounts he is extremely raw. His defense has improved ten fold since last season, but he'd still be an absolute butcher at SS in the majors. Give him time.

They should play saladino at short or some other fill in next year if anderson isn't ready. Already learned this year that ramirez should have been gone and that 10 million next year is way to much for him. Can use that money for some of the more needs around the team.

Edited by WhiteSoxLifer

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 09:57 AM)
I don't believe they would either but he might be on the short list of our top prospects along with Montas with whom to trade for a non rental.

Actually our top 5 prospects could all be top 100 guys if they hadnt either faltered some ( Eric Johnson ) or been brought up(Micah Johnson) Montas, Anderson, Fulmer all in MLB Pipeline's top 100 plus EJ used to be until his meltdown but has come back very strong and Micah would be quite high if only he could field decently.

Micah still qualifies as a prospect, he's just not a top 100 guy. EJ no longer qualifies as a prospect, if he did he'd likely be on there.