Sox Looking at Upton

Jose Abreu

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 09:56 AM)
Frankie Montas for 2 months of Justin Upton to hope for a 1 game playoff? Way too much.

I'll take my chances. I have no faith in Frankie to be a mainstay in our future rotation so I'll take my 2 month rental over what I see as a future reliever.

Edited by Rowand44

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 09:55 AM)
There is no chance Tim Anderson is the starting SS on opening day 2016 for the Sox. It will be Alexei. Maybe, just maybe, it Alexei sucks balls, they'll call up Anderson midseason, or maybe, they'll let Saladino or Sanchez give it a go, but it won't be Anderson.

Admittedly, I haven't watched Anderson in person, but by all accounts he is extremely raw. His defense has improved ten fold since last season, but he'd still be an absolute butcher at SS in the majors. Give him time.

That they did not promote Anderson to AAA with the slew of promotions/dl stints in Charlotte should be telling on where they see his debut.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 10:03 AM)
I'll take my chances. I have no faith in Frankie to be a mainstay in our future rotation so I'll take my 2 months rental over what I see as a future reliever.

Even if you have no faith in Montas he certainly has more value than a 2-month rental. Trade him to get a bat locked up beyond this year if you're going to move him.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 10:03 AM)
Jayson Stark ‏@jaysonst 1m1 minute ago

Teams talking to #WhiteSox say they're struggling with how impact of Cespedes or Upton would impact roster. Already overloaded at OF/DH/1B

As am I...

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 10:03 AM)
Jayson Stark ‏@jaysonst 1m1 minute ago

Teams talking to #WhiteSox say they're struggling with how impact of Cespedes or Upton would impact roster. Already overloaded at OF/DH/1B

Not really.

vs LHP

LF - Upton/Cespedes

CF - Eaton

RF- Melky

DH - Avi

vs RHP

LF - Upton/Cespedes

CF - Eaton

RF - Melky

DH - LaRoche

Not that complicated.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 10:05 AM)
@jaysonst: Teams talking to #WhiteSox say they're struggling with how impact of Cespedes or Upton would impact roster. Already overloaded at OF/DH/1B

Eat LaRoche's money, that simple. That would never happen though.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 11:07 AM)
Not really.

vs LHP

LF - Upton/Cespedes

CF - Eaton

RF- Melky

DH - Avi

vs RHP

LF - Upton/Cespedes

CF - Eaton

RF - Melky

DH - LaRoche

Not that complicated.

I'd rather keep Melky in LF and put Upton in RF.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 09:46 AM)
https://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prosp...s/all-time#1990

Dominating the minors would probably put you in the top 20 prospects in all of baseball. I'm not saying EJ is a top 20 guy (he was #63 in 2014), especially because his dominating stretch is still a pretty small sample size, but I was more making an overall point about dominant minor league numbers. I went through that list from 1990-2000 and 45% of the prospects ranked in the top 20 played at least 1000 games (goes over 50% if the cutoff is down to 900 games instead of 1000) and that's not even counting all the pitchers who don't get that high but definitely did enough to stick around. 900-1000 games is 6+ seasons, I think that qualifies as sticking at the major league level.

What you need a list of guys who dominated AAA. A top prospects list leaves off guys like Jeff Bajenaru and Andy Wilkins who destroyed AAA, but flopped at the majors. There are lots and lots of guys who do exactly that who never show up on lists like that.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 10:06 AM)
Avi? They would send him to AAA before that happens. No way they get rid of him.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 10:06 AM)
He meant Leury

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 10:07 AM)
No, he meant Avi

Yep, I meant Avi.

I'm being dramatic, of course. But still.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 10:07 AM)
Not really.

vs LHP

LF - Upton/Cespedes

CF - Eaton

RF- Melky

DH - Avi

vs RHP

LF - Upton/Cespedes

CF - Eaton

RF - Melky

DH - LaRoche

Not that complicated.

Only issue I see with this is if Melky doesn't want to / doesn't like RF.

But if they go rental route, please don't give up Anderson, EJ, Fulmer, Adams, or Trey. Fine with Avi or Montas, or pretty much any other prospect. Would be sad to see Danish or Adolfo go though.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 11:08 AM)
What you need a list of guys who dominated AAA. A top prospects list leaves off guys like Jeff Bajenaru and Andy Wilkins who destroyed AAA, but flopped at the majors. There are lots and lots of guys who do exactly that who never show up on lists like that.

Many top prospects never sniff AAA.

They go from AA to the majors.

AAA is for fillers and guys trying to make it back to the majors.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 10:09 AM)
Yep, I meant Avi.

I'm being dramatic, of course. But still.

Lol you really dislike Avi.

There have been plenty of young players with exceptional physical tools to struggle the first couple years of their careers and still wind up reaching their potential. It happens. I believe Avi will come along in due time.