Potential waiver trades

Buehrle>Wood

Just throwing out some names that'd I might expect to either make it through waivers or far enough for a contender to claim:

Ryan Braun: still owed 100 million, still good, not sure brewers like him at this point.

Mike Napoli: He stinks this year. Owed 16 million next year.

Adam Laroche: see napoli. Hey maybe we could do a change of scenery trade.

James Shields: still owed 64 million. His salary more than doubles starting next year and he's starring to show his age. I think I could see the pads just dumping him on a claim, but still a longshot.

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Aug 2, 2015 -> 01:01 PM)
Don't really like any of the above, if I had to pick one I'd take Braun, him and Avi can split RF while the other DH's, Napoli is probably my favorite player of the above, but no need now...AJ Pierzynski, Junichi Tazawa, Koji Uehera, Martin Prado are all more fitting

Marlins had interest in signing LaRoche in the off-season. Prado has one year left on his deal as well. Why not explore a LaRoche (plus a little cash) for Prado? That opens up the DH spot. Prado can replace Bonifacio on the roster (may be an expensive bench piece but his versatility is more valuable than if you were to bench LaRoche like many other people suggest.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 07:26 AM)
Morosi said Friday that he thought Samardzija could be moved by the waiver deadline.

I would image a few ALE teams would be interested.

Doubt it, unless the Sox tank the next couple weeks. At this point, the Sox are unlikely to get something better than the comp pick anyway.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 10:43 AM)
Doubt it, unless the Sox tank the next couple weeks. At this point, the Sox are unlikely to get something better than the comp pick anyway.

It's definitely not something I'm relying on, just a possibility. The Yanks and Toronto both could use another starter. I think the comp pick is more likely and that's fine.

I'm hoping the Sox and Samardzija part ways. Might sound crazy but I would rather have Danks for one more year than Samardzija for five more. Danks can hold a rotation spot in 2016 while Fulmer and Montas continue to develop and become more MLB ready.

Sox are VERY unlikely to get an offer that is better than the comp pick. Now that we're into August, teams don't have to bid against each other. One team will win the claim on Samardzija, and they will probably lowball their offer.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 12:56 PM)
Sox are VERY unlikely to get an offer that is better than the comp pick. Now that we're into August, teams don't have to bid against each other. One team will win the claim on Samardzija, and they will probably lowball their offer.

If they need him, maybe the pay. If they don't want to pay, the Sox will at least have something.

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Aug 2, 2015 -> 05:44 PM)
This list just proves that MLB contracts are idiotic.

Baseball is the worst. At least football they can cut a guy immediately if he starts to suck and not pay him. The bonus money is what matters there.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 4, 2015 -> 11:33 PM)
Baseball is the worst. At least football they can cut a guy immediately if he starts to suck and not pay him. The bonus money is what matters there.

Eh, you sign a contract, you honor a contract. That's how it should be. For both parties.