Sox have tried to sign Samardzija to a long term deal

Sockin

QUOTE (Doc Edwards Shot @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 04:05 PM)
The Sox offense is so bad that they desperately need to spend whatever they can on it. A lot of attention is needed on position players - it's the worst it's been in a generation.

Let Shark walk and go with what we have in the rotation and farm in 2016. We shouldn't replace Danks with another Danks-like albatross contract.

Shark isn't pitching well enough to warrant even $15 million per year. They needed a good start yesterday in a playoff-like atmosphere against the Yankees and he crapped the bed.

i would offer shark a QO and keep him for 1 yr playing to recoop his value.

it is a win-win situation.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LDF @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 10:34 AM)
i would offer shark a QO and keep him for 1 yr playing to recoop his value.

it is a win-win situation.

They will give him a QO, and he will reject, which will net the Sox the comp pick. There is zero chance Shark accepts the QO.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 04:41 PM)
They will give him a QO, and he will reject, which will net the Sox the comp pick. There is zero chance Shark accepts the QO.

and as i said a win - win situation.

the sox still gets a comp pick.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 04:06 PM)
Not really a win for Shark.

ok, no offense,

why not??

1. the sox gets a comp pick

2. shark signs for 1 yr as the QO price, shark rebuild his value, and the sox reaps the reward of his effort.

3. the yr after, the sox gets a comp pick or he signs a club friendly contract.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (LDF @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 11:18 AM)
ok, no offense,

why not??

1. the sox gets a comp pick

2. shark signs for 1 yr as the QO price, shark rebuild his value, and the sox reaps the reward of his effort.

3. the yr after, the sox gets a comp pick or he signs a club friendly contract.

Here is how it will go:

1. Sox give Shark the Qualifying Offer;

2. Shark rejects said Qualifying Offer in hopes of securing a long term contract;

3. Shark sits on the market and watches Price and Cueto set the price for the top of line SP;

4. Shark signs in January or February for something far less than Price and Cueto, and the team who acquires him, gives up their first round pick.

Why it is not a win-win, is Shark would have a draft pick tied to him. It would improve his market if he didn't. But it today's game, pretty much all good FA will have a pick attached to him, so it is less of a big deal than it was before the new CBA. But it is still a 1st round pick, and most teams hate forfeiting picks.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 11:29 AM)
Here is how it will go:

2. Shark rejects said Qualifying Offer in hopes of securing a long term contract;

3. Shark sits on the market and watches Price and Cueto set the price for the top of line SP;

4. Shark signs in January or February for something far less than Price and Cueto, and the team who acquires him, gives up their first round pick.

Why it is not a win-win, is Shark would have a draft pick tied to him. It would improve his market if he didn't. But it today's game, pretty much all good FA will have a pick attached to him, so it is less of a big deal than it was before the new CBA. But it is still a 1st round pick, and most teams hate forfeiting picks.

Well done. That's exactly what is going to happen. Would be surprised that when January comes around, Samardzija's agent will be calling the Sox trying to get a contract. I really hope the Sox part ways with Samardzija.

The money on Samardzija can be better spent on a bat via trade or FA, most likely trade.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 04:29 PM)
Here is how it will go:

no matter what the system is in place, the clincher is, the sox will receive a comp pick if shark reject the QO and is sign by another team. most teams will hate giving up a draft pick.... guess what, they may hate it, but they will still do it...... for the right player.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 07:51 AM)
By gaining a draft pick for Jeff, I think I could suffer our 1st round pick on a hitter because the 2 I mentioned (Upton and Heyward), Upton will be 28 and Heyward will be 26.

Sox have LaRoche and Danks coming off the books next year and Sox had major interest in Heyward before he got traded to the Cards this past off season, so I think it definitely could be realistic in going after him.

I then would package AVI in a deal for a 3B or another pitcher.

For $150-175 million? No way.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 04:45 PM)
Well done. That's exactly what is going to happen. Would be surprised that when January comes around, Samardzija's agent will be calling the Sox trying to get a contract. I really hope the Sox part ways with Samardzija.

The money on Samardzija can be better spent on a bat via trade or FA, most likely trade.

with my opinion on whether i would want him back or whether he would be worth it, but in ref to the bold. it is at that juncture, the sox will be in the driver seat. a team friendly contract is and will be on the plate, that is the sox deem it worth it.

QUOTE (LDF @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 01:58 PM)
with my opinion on whether i would want him back or whether he would be worth it, but in ref to the bold. it is at that juncture, the sox will be in the driver seat. a team friendly contract is and will be on the plate, that is the sox deem it worth it.

Do you think James Shields's deal counts as a "team friendly contract"? He had to wait until the end of the FA period, he got a lot less than I thought he would get, yet his contract is still imposing enough after only 4 months of baseball that it seemed reasonable for San Diego to think about moving him at the deadline just to clear the contract.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 06:02 PM)
Do you think James Shields's deal counts as a "team friendly contract"? He had to wait until the end of the FA period, he got a lot less than I thought he would get, yet his contract is still imposing enough after only 4 months of baseball that it seemed reasonable for San Diego to think about moving him at the deadline just to clear the contract.

a valid point.

whether you or i or anyone thinks it is worth it, it is the org that makes that final decision. ours is nothing but a subjective opinion.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 01:00 PM)
Why, if some team's willing to pay him $100 million this off-season?

I will believe it until we see Kazmir sign for more money and years.

So you just ignore reality and say yeah they could have picked up those guys for 2 months of him. And Kazmir didn't net Norris and Hoffman. He netted an A ball catcher, who you now have destined for the HOF. Just remember, you were the guy who after 2 years in the White Sox system, when someone asked what the Sox had in Dayan Viciedo responded, Pedro Guerrero. That was before you went all Jay Marriotti and decided every move the White Sox make will be considered wrong.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 01:02 PM)

That is a bit different. You have to consider the backload, and missing out on his youngest season.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (LDF @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 12:58 PM)

And I would drive on bye. Want nothing to do with Samardzija after this season ends.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 02:10 PM)
And I would drive on bye. Want nothing to do with Samardzija after this season ends.

One remarkable thing might be...he might have pitched so poorly overall this season that you could legitimately see his price dropping into the range where the White Sox could afford him.

Why they'd want him after this season I have no clue. But since I think it's a terrible idea, I assume the White Sox will do it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 01:22 PM)
One remarkable thing might be...he might have pitched so poorly overall this season that you could legitimately see his price dropping into the range where the White Sox could afford him.

Why they'd want him after this season I have no clue. But since I think it's a terrible idea, I assume the White Sox will do it.

Why don't you work for a front office? Just curious - you seem to think you're well suited for the job.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 01:22 PM)

Dan O'Dowd was asked if he would give Shark $100 million. He said no because he isn't an Opening Day starter. He really might not be a #2, and in 3 or 4 years is probably a #4 or #5 at best. His reputation has always beat his actual performance. He did have a good year last year, but this year's performance shouldn't be a shock. He's been very good a lot, and horrible a lot. Not much domination, and seems to be having a tough time missing bats when he has to miss them. I think they want the draft pick and are probably very happy Samardzija wanted to test free agency no matter what. I'd be shocked if they are willing to go very high for him. And I don't think he is going to get $20 million a year for 5 or 6 years unless he goes on an unreal dominant roll the next 2 months, which appears very unlikely.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 07:26 PM)
Why don't you work for a front office? Just curious - you seem to think you're well suited for the job.

wow that was harsh.

the mods and admin on this site does a great job and an equally great job in the prospect rpts. are they right, no. are they wrong, no. but it is a fans fyi for fans.

i appreciate these rpts.

QUOTE (LDF @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 01:30 PM)
wow that was harsh.

the mods and admin on this site does a great job and an equally great job in the prospect rpts. are they right, no. are they wrong, no. but it is a fans fyi for fans.

i appreciate these rpts.

His post had absolutely nothing to do with prospect reports or administration of the website. His post said that he expected the White Sox to do the opposite of what he thinks they should do...something he says in nearly all of his posts - whether it be indirect or direct. It just gets brutal to read. The guy clearly knows baseball and advanced stats, but the negativity is just brutal to read.

He also considered Melky Cabrera a sunk cost as recently as 40 days ago or so and he is now one of the hottest hitters in the league and his slash line is now pretty much at his career averages. So his negativity has certainly cause him to lose some of his objectiveness.

I appreciate the work that the admins do too. I love reading Soxtalk, and FutureSox. That has absolutely nothing to do with constant blind negativity.

Edited by ChiSox59