Sox have tried to sign Samardzija to a long term deal

Sockin

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Sep 11, 2015 -> 11:25 AM)
Absolutely agree DA and you make a great point about the money saved by Samardzija rejecting the Sox extension. Do you think this means the could extend the payroll some for next season? Imo, they should since, as you said, they had money allocated for the extension but since that money has not been spent and the Sox are in need of hitting, there should be some money available towards bringing in a positional player to help the offense. Not necessarily through FA but maybe acquire a player through trade.

Keep in mind though some (perhaps most) of those who bought season ticket plans after last winter's spending spree may not be back after seeing this stinkfest.

That's less money to work with since the Sox historically won't go much into the red if at all.

Mark

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Sep 11, 2015 -> 11:09 PM)
Keep in mind though some (perhaps most) of those who bought season ticket plans after last winter's spending spree may not be back after seeing this stinkfest.

That's less money to work with since the Sox historically won't go much into the red if at all.

Mark

The point DA and myself are making is that with the Sox having an offer on the table, the money was already there before the Sox tanked.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Sep 12, 2015 -> 01:43 PM)
The point DA and myself are making is that with the Sox having an offer on the table, the money was already there before the Sox tanked.

as you, DA and Lip have stated, i will go 1 further and add. yes the offer was on the table and maybe until a 1/4 of the season in.

however, this team has a real bad fundamentally group of pro players and that should be address in spring training. next the savings alone on shark salary, if he took the extension is nice. it is better than spending that money and getting that results.

lastly and i think this should be a soxfest question when the fans goes and have a Q/A sessions with the FO.

do they the FO really expect the fans to step up and pay for season tickets when this is the final product???

then to have the owners comes out and criticize the fan based who did show up and pay for season tickets, yet at the same time calling out the rest of the fan based. would they, as they have mention many times over are/were fans in their young days, pay for this kind of performance???

QUOTE (LDF @ Sep 12, 2015 -> 09:30 AM)
as you, DA and Lip have stated, i will go 1 further and add. yes the offer was on the table and maybe until a 1/4 of the season in.

however, this team has a real bad fundamentally group of pro players and that should be address in spring training. next the savings alone on shark salary, if he took the extension is nice. it is better than spending that money and getting that results.

lastly and i think this should be a soxfest question when the fans goes and have a Q/A sessions with the FO.

do they the FO really expect the fans to step up and pay for season tickets when this is the final product???

then to have the owners comes out and criticize the fan based who did show up and pay for season tickets, yet at the same time calling out the rest of the fan based. would they, as they have mention many times over are/were fans in their young days, pay for this kind of performance???

yes

So much for the QO/compensation argument.

Whatever we would have received would have been better for the future than NOTHING or being stuck with one of the worst pitchers in baseball on a $17+ million one year contract.

Even if he pitched well, the team doesn't have the horses to compete...he's blocking someone like Montas/Fulmer/Johnson and finally, he's soaking up valuable resources that should be going towards improving the offense.

Hard to ask for more of a train wreck. The team's not bad enough to be terrible and receive a high draft pick, but hasn't realistically been in the WC hunt since stumbling after that winning streak and making the decision to keep Shark.

Can't believe he would be pitching like this on a playoff contender...it's almost like he's sulking or doesn't care anymore...which is probably the feeling of most Sox fans as well.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 15, 2015 -> 09:02 PM)
So much for the QO/compensation argument.

Whatever we would have received would have been better for the future than NOTHING or being stuck with one of the worst pitchers in baseball on a $17+ million one year contract.

Even if he pitched well, the team doesn't have the horses to compete...he's blocking someone like Montas/Fulmer/Johnson and finally, he's soaking up valuable resources that should be going towards improving the offense.

Hard to ask for more of a train wreck. The team's not bad enough to be terrible and receive a high draft pick, but hasn't realistically been in the WC hunt since stumbling after that winning streak and making the decision to keep Shark.

Can't believe he would be pitching like this on a playoff contender...it's almost like he's sulking or doesn't care anymore...which is probably the feeling of most Sox fans as well.

Exactly my sentiments. Not trading Shark has turned out to be a HUGE failure for the organization and yet another spoiled opportunity moving forward to acquire talent. I'm not even going to give Hahn any remorse, because while no one could have predicted this regression to absolute garbage, he retained Shark either under the guise of competing (which was ridiculous because many of us here knew this team wasn't a playoff contender), or was not satisfied with his trade value. While it wasn't on par with Scott Kazmir, even a step below his value was still worth more than the risk associated with a compensation round draft pick. At the time ofvthe trade deadline he was pitching quite well.

All I can hope is they learn from their mistakes. I'd just ONCE like to see them trade someone at peak value. Deal someone like Quintana should all but be a certainty, and if I'm JR/KW whoever else I'm putting very high expectations on him to succeed.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Sep 15, 2015 -> 10:19 PM)
Exactly my sentiments. Not trading Shark has turned out to be a HUGE failure for the organization and yet another spoiled opportunity moving forward to acquire talent. I'm not even going to give Hahn any remorse, because while no one could have predicted this regression to absolute garbage, he retained Shark either under the guise of competing (which was ridiculous because many of us here knew this team wasn't a playoff contender), or was not satisfied with his trade value. While it wasn't on par with Scott Kazmir, even a step below his value was still worth more than the risk associated with a compensation round draft pick. At the time ofvthe trade deadline he was pitching quite well.

All I can hope is they learn from their mistakes. I'd just ONCE like to see them trade someone at peak value. Deal someone like Quintana should all but be a certainty, and if I'm JR/KW whoever else I'm putting very high expectations on him to succeed.

if you go back to the Scott Kazmir trade thread there's a large contingent of people who explained to me that Samardzija should be more valued than Kazmir because he's more reliable historically and you'd probably want Samardzija pitching if you had the choice for 1 game.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Sep 15, 2015 -> 10:31 PM)
Not giving him a QO at this point is crazy talk. He's getting a QO and he'll decline. He wants to get out of town. If for some reason, he accepted the QO, the Sox could still trade him or give him the QO next offseason. Getting nothing for him is really dumb and that won't happen.

This reminds me of "If we don't get the offer we want for Shark before the deadline we can just let him go for a draft pick." There's too much risk with a QO because if he does accept, we are sure as HELL are not trading him for anything of value. Also can anyone tolerate this guy for another season? I'd rather take equal production for a fraction of the cost

A cynic/crazy part of me thinks, Shark may throw aside his issues with Cooper (assuming they exist) and accept a QO to reestablish himself for the following offseason when the available SP market won't be as deep.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 15, 2015 -> 10:52 PM)
It's shocking how bad Samardzija is right now...

Is it as shocking as people thought he was really good? I think wins can still define a pitcher. He has a losing record every year except for one. Look at Sale. He is on a bad team and he had one losing season. I look at Smarj's stats and where does it in any way say "big contract" or ace. What separates and ace is the team and fans feel more confident of a victory. But Q destroys this theory. If he were pitching for a team that produces runs - 15 game winner, Sale 17 game winner.

The title of this one hurts.

http://www.csnchicago.com/white-sox/contin...amardzija-trade

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Sep 16, 2015 -> 12:06 AM)
He's going to go down as one of the most hated Sox acquisitions... With that said, can we take him off the banner? ;)

Even if it's just the current banner with his face sloppily whited out, I wouldn't care.

An addition of Quintana and/or Abreu would be nice, though.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 15, 2015 -> 09:26 PM)
if you go back to the Scott Kazmir trade thread there's a large contingent of people who explained to me that Samardzija should be more valued than Kazmir because he's more reliable historically and you'd probably want Samardzija pitching if you had the choice for 1 game.

And nothing has changed since then...

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 15, 2015 -> 09:26 PM)

I'm one of those people Balta. I guess all 29 GMs knew that he would implode and personally derail a playoff train. But that's why GMs make the bog bucks- they can predict that kind if stuff without any evidence to support it.

Edited by Jerksticks

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Sep 15, 2015 -> 11:46 PM)
This reminds me of "If we don't get the offer we want for Shark before the deadline we can just let him go for a draft pick." There's too much risk with a QO because if he does accept, we are sure as HELL are not trading him for anything of value. Also can anyone tolerate this guy for another season? I'd rather take equal production for a fraction of the cost

A cynic/crazy part of me thinks, Shark may throw aside his issues with Cooper (assuming they exist) and accept a QO to reestablish himself for the following offseason when the available SP market won't be as deep.

You are wrong about this. Like I've said numerous times, there is zero reason to not give him the QO. They will give him one. Then he will decline and sign somewhere else. I wouldn't worry about him being back. He wants to leave.

I have never been a Samardzija fan, but as much as I have disliked him, and thought he was overhyped before he was ever a White Sox, I know he's not as awful as he has been his last 10 or so starts. He's missing his spots, he's throwing a ton of meatballs. What would his numbers be if he didn't have that hot stretch right before the deadline?

The Sox and Shark will both correctly move on this offseason and probably both be better for it. The Sox will have money they earmarked for him to spend elsewhere, Shark will go somewhere with a fresh start and probably will be mediocre over the course of his deal not horrible like he his now.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Sep 16, 2015 -> 06:58 AM)
Even if it's just the current banner with his face sloppily whited out, I wouldn't care.

An addition of Quintana and/or Abreu would be nice, though.

I wouldn't put Q on the banner since, according to some here, he will surely be traded this winter. ;)

Seriously though I would put Q up on the banner in a heart beat since I doubt seriously he is traded. I like the Abreu idea as well. Sale, Abreu and Q for the banner!

Oh yeah, f*** Samardzija. That is all. :D

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 16, 2015 -> 02:28 PM)
I have never been a Samardzija fan, but as much as I have disliked him, and thought he was overhyped before he was ever a White Sox, I know he's not as awful as he has been his last 10 or so starts. He's missing his spots, he's throwing a ton of meatballs. What would his numbers be if he didn't have that hot stretch right before the deadline?

The Sox and Shark will both correctly move on this offseason and probably both be better for it. The Sox will have money they earmarked for him to spend elsewhere, Shark will go somewhere with a fresh start and probably will be mediocre over the course of his deal not horrible like he his now.

shark was ready to leave. to me, it seems as he is going thru the motions till the end of the season he is pitching with out any emotion or for me, caring about the results.

QUOTE (LDF @ Sep 16, 2015 -> 09:09 AM)
shark was ready to leave. to me, it seems as he is going thru the motions till the end of the season he is pitching with out any emotion or for me, caring about the results.

I think the going through the motions isn't accurate. I will give him competitiveness, and the fact is, he is still pitching for a new contract. It makes no sense that he would basically pack it in right now. He is just lost on the mound, and I guess that makes it look like he's not trying, but it would make zero sense from a lot of perspectives for him not to be fully engaged.