Sox have tried to sign Samardzija to a long term deal

Sockin

QUOTE (beautox @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 06:36 PM)
Heyward will only be 26 to start the season next year and Cespedes will be 30 without a pick attached to him.

I'd have to look at Heywards numbers but he would be another guy. He's going to get $100 mil also. Anyone thinking otherwise must be ignoring how valuable bats are.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Aug 4, 2015 -> 08:40 AM)
I'd have to look at Heywards numbers but he would be another guy. He's going to get $100 mil also. Anyone thinking otherwise must be ignoring how valuable bats are.

If someone gives Heyward $100 million, they're the dumbest franchise today. No way is he worth that. Not even close.

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 4, 2015 -> 08:41 AM)
If someone gives Heyward $100 million, they're the dumbest franchise today. No way is he worth that. Not even close.

He's actually one of the few FA in recent memory that could fulfill the value of an outlandish contract. He's had one season below 3.4 WAR since he came into the league. If a win currently costs $7-8 million on the open market, his actual value should be more than $20 million a year on the market.

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 4, 2015 -> 08:41 AM)

Lifetime .265/.351/.430, which is quite good in today's game, especially considering his career started at age 20. Defense is somewhere between very good and great. And to cap it off, he'll be 26 when he hits free agency. Not a lot to dislike.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Aug 4, 2015 -> 10:02 AM)
Lifetime .265/.351/.430, which is quite good in today's game, especially considering his career started at age 20. Defense is somewhere between very good and great. And to cap it off, he'll be 26 when he hits free agency. Not a lot to dislike.

How far are you willing to take that "not a lot to dislike" comment? Would you go 7/$140+? What's your limit?

What is interesting about this report, if accurate, was the Sox were granted a window, didn't sign him, but still made the trade. Did they think he would change his mind after a couple of months with the Sox? Was the package bigger if he did extend? What was the purpose of the window if they still made the trade with no signature?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 4, 2015 -> 05:51 PM)
How far are you willing to take that "not a lot to dislike" comment? Would you go 7/$140+? What's your limit?

i don't know if i am answering this the right way and i know it isn't for me.

but yesterday, i reading fa's for the 2016 season. in one article they had the top 10 ratings. Heyward was #1 and with practically the exact quote as above.

they had the 20 per and a min of 5-7 yrs. b/c of his age and this being his last possible contract, so would their be a bidding process with how many teams??

again,, i do not know if this answer your question. that is why i asked mine in the 100 million dollar range.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 4, 2015 -> 11:51 AM)

I know I'd easily go over $100M, which was the starting point in this thread. 7/140 would probably be fine, yeah. He's really good.

Heyward might try to put an opt-out clause into his contract too, if he wants to get one more big deal when he's 30 or 31.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 4, 2015 -> 12:51 PM)

I have a hard time saying I'm comfortable with giving any player a 7 year contract, but I'd be thrilled if we signed Heyward for $20M/year.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 4, 2015 -> 02:54 PM)
I have a hard time saying I'm comfortable with giving any player a 7 year contract, but I'd be thrilled if we signed Heyward for $20M/year.

You're ok with that number...now 2nd part...what's the highest you'd go if you were Rick Hahn? Years and total dollars.

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Aug 4, 2015 -> 03:06 PM)
7/150

I think you're in the game with that offer but I honestly really don't know what he'll get. He's the kind of player we haven't seen on the FA market before - a guy who is extremely young, in the era of the exploding TV deals, gets a huge amount of his value by being a strong defender, and could still have offensive upside beyond what we've seen so far. He could get an offer approaching $200 and I wouldn't be that surprised, would you?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 4, 2015 -> 02:20 PM)
I think you're in the game with that offer but I honestly really don't know what he'll get. He's the kind of player we haven't seen on the FA market before - a guy who is extremely young, in the era of the exploding TV deals, gets a huge amount of his value by being a strong defender, and could still have offensive upside beyond what we've seen so far. He could get an offer approaching $200 and I wouldn't be that surprised, would you?

And he'll probably get an opt-out halfway through so if he's really good, he's gone, and if he's not, you're stuck with the contract. I like Heyward but doubt the Sox will come anywhere near the ludicrous contract it will take to sign him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 4, 2015 -> 07:59 PM)
You're ok with that number...now 2nd part...what's the highest you'd go if you were Rick Hahn? Years and total dollars.

i don't know, maybe if i was really interested, 3 / 69.

the danks situation may have me gun shy.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Aug 2, 2015 -> 12:51 PM)
Small market? Yeah, okay. The White Sox have deep pockets and a huge, sleeping fanbase. If the pitchers can win games, get butts in the seats, you pay for them at market price even with the bad money at the end.

The White Sox are 21st in total revenue ($227 million in 2014) in MLB according to Forbes, putting them in between such big market franchises as Minnesota ($223m) San Diego ($224m), Milwaukee ($226m), Cincinnati ($227m) and Toronto ($227m).

Other notables ahead of the White Sox include the large market teams of Pittsburgh and Kansas City.

Just for scale, the Yankees pulled in just over half a billion in revenue last year ($508 million), while the Dodgers pulled in $403 million.

QUOTE (LDF @ Aug 4, 2015 -> 03:30 PM)
i don't know, maybe if i was really interested, 3 / 69.

the danks situation may have me gun shy.

Then you don't get to say anything about the White Sox not bringing in any big-time free agents this offseason because you're not anywhere close, ok?

There's nothing wrong with that, avoiding major free agents can be a smart move if done correctly. Just don't complain this offseason about the lack of impact moves.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Aug 4, 2015 -> 02:24 PM)
And he'll probably get an opt-out halfway through so if he's really good, he's gone, and if he's not, you're stuck with the contract. I like Heyward but doubt the Sox will come anywhere near the ludicrous contract it will take to sign him.

I think you're correct. I was thinking more along the lines of a shorter contract of 3 or 4 yrs and then hitting the FA market again at 29 or 30 yrs of age. The way things today seem to be, are the opt-out deals. I would love to have him but like you I doubt the Sox will sign him. If they do by chance sign him I can't see them signing anyone else or taking on any other bigger contracts such as Shark or any of our other needs.

I think it would make sense to give Shark a deal similar to what Danks got, though obviously more money now as inflation has taken off in the contract market. Something like 4/$66M would make sense. That allows you to look at moving another SP to try and upgrade the offense. There are not a lot of moves that can be made in free agency to help out this offense so it will take some work in the trade market. Most likely it will mean a Quntana trade to try and fill in the holes in RF and at 3B.

QUOTE (AlSoxfan @ Aug 4, 2015 -> 03:37 PM)
I think you're correct. I was thinking more along the lines of a shorter contract of 3 or 4 yrs and then hitting the FA market again at 29 or 30 yrs of age. The way things today seem to be, are the opt-out deals. I would love to have him but like you I doubt the Sox will sign him. If they do by chance sign him I can't see them signing anyone else or taking on any other bigger contracts such as Shark or any of our other needs.

If the Sox do anything in free agency I think it will be Cespedes. The term of the deal won't be as long and no draft pick compensation attached make him a solid match. Upton and Heyward will be out of the realm of possibility for the Sox.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Aug 4, 2015 -> 03:43 PM)
If the Sox do anything in free agency I think it will be Cespedes. The term of the deal won't be as long and no draft pick compensation attached make him a solid match. Upton and Heyward will be out of the realm of possibility for the Sox.

out of curiosity, what other teams are in the market for guys like Cespedes and Upton?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 4, 2015 -> 03:42 PM)
3/45, 3/69, and 4/66 would get laughed out the room.

The guy already turned down 5/85 from the Cubs, so you know that anything below that isn't worth offering. If the Sox really plan on that, they should just not make an offer so as not to insult the guy.

That's assuming a whole bunch of things though.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Aug 4, 2015 -> 01:43 PM)

I think Upton will be a bad idea. Teams are too enamored with his skill set and his one season and tend to ignore his actual production, which will good, is nowhere near as good as the contract he'll get. The same might happen with Heyward and the real question is how his defensive value will trend as he ages and whether you bet on his bat continuing to improve or not. Guy is loaded with talent and should be a much better hitter then he is. Cespedes would seem like the guy who would be the best value signing...how will he age is a question but if you can get him 3 years, 4 max, then it might not be so bad. Part of it depends on what he does in the post-season (if he gets to the post-season) as that could inflate his value if he gets all hot.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Aug 4, 2015 -> 03:44 PM)
That's assuming a whole bunch of things though.

The big assumptions are that Samardjiza keeps pitching like he has, and that the market for baseball players doesn't completely collapse before November.

In 2015, a pitcher like Jeff Samardjiza is a $100 million pitcher.