Sox have tried to sign Samardzija to a long term deal

Sockin

I know the QO is based on the average salary of the top 125 salaries so maybe Levine has been doing some math in his free time. If so, I have to give Levine some credit but it would have been nice if he had mentioned how he came up with the number. 17.1M does not sound like too big of a stretch.

I think what's important is that Samardzija is still likely to reject the QO which is good news. Time for the Sox and Samardzija to part ways. Hopefully Erik Johnson continues to pitch well during the rest of the season and makes it easier for the SOX to move on.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Sep 9, 2015 -> 03:28 PM)
I know the QO is based on the average salary of the top 125 salaries so maybe Levine has been doing some math in his free time. If so, I have to give Levine some credit but it would have been nice if he had mentioned how he came up with the number. 17.1M does not sound like too big of a stretch.

I think what's important is that Samardzija is still likely to reject the QO which is good news. Time for the Sox and Samardzija to part ways. Hopefully Erik Johnson continues to pitch well during the rest of the season and makes it easier for the SOX to move on.

The 4 years 70 million is about what I figured and I also figured Shark would bet on himself (because he's Shark!...) and turn those offers down. Now, if someone gives him 2 years 40 million, he'll probably take it because he can rehab his value and get that "lifetime" 6-8 year deal he no doubt thinks he's worth and covets.

Personally I will be pretty miffed if we see Shark next year at 17.1 million. They have other holes that many could go to. Insert Johnson into the rotation he'll give you 3/4 the production most likely at 1/10th the cost.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Sep 9, 2015 -> 02:37 PM)
The 4 years 70 million is about what I figured and I also figured Shark would bet on himself (because he's Shark!...) and turn those offers down. Now, if someone gives him 2 years 40 million, he'll probably take it because he can rehab his value and get that "lifetime" 6-8 year deal he no doubt thinks he's worth and covets.

Personally I will be pretty miffed if we see Shark next year at 17.1 million. They have other holes that many could go to. Insert Johnson into the rotation he'll give you 3/4 the production most likely at 1/10th the cost.

I would be more than miffed! ;)

Even if the QO is 17.1M I still don't see Samardzija accepting it. Pitchers his age are looking for the long term security that comes with long term contracts. Plus it seems the Sox and Samardzija have soured on one another so I think Shark bait is as good as gone.

One thing I noticed in last night's game was when Rodon got back into the dugout after he finished the 7th, every Sox player was standing up to congratulate Rodon except one. Samardzija was the only SOX player I could see that remained sitting on the bench. Samardzija did offer a fist to which Rodon met with an open right hand but again, Samardzija was the only sitting on his ass. Every other Sox player was on their feet and lined up congratulating Rodon. Maybe I'm looking too much into it but the look on Samardzija's face was less than enthusiastic. To me it was very telling.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Sep 9, 2015 -> 02:37 PM)

I don't want to know what 3/4 the production of a 4.87 ERA is, but I hope Johnson can do much better than that.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Sep 9, 2015 -> 03:08 PM)
I don't want to know what 3/4 the production of a 4.87 ERA is, but I hope Johnson can do much better than that.

Well according to the batted ball stats Sharks' been a little unlucky on his HR/FB rate and strand rate. That said, his xFIP is still a very pedestrian 4.22.

I reconsider. Johnson can give you 100% of 2015 Shark at 1/10 or less of the cost.

Shark has been s***. He's really a symbol of the failed offseason and season.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Sep 9, 2015 -> 03:13 PM)
Well according to the batted ball stats Sharks' been a little unlucky on his HR/FB rate and strand rate. That said, his xFIP is still a very pedestrian 4.22.

I reconsider. Johnson can give you 100% of 2015 Shark at 1/10 or less of the cost.

Shark has been s***. He's really a symbol of the failed offseason and season.

I'm a huge advanced stats guy and while Samardzija may have been a tad bit unlucky (though as you say his FIP still isn't good), that only really matters in projecting his future production, which hopefully won't be with us. Unlucky or not, he gave up all those runs, and so EJ doesn't really have that high of a bar to reach for next season if he wants to replace that "production".

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Sep 9, 2015 -> 03:19 PM)
I'm a huge advanced stats guy and while Samardzija may have been a tad bit unlucky (though as you say his FIP still isn't good), that only really matters in projecting his future production, which hopefully won't be with us. Unlucky or not, he gave up all those runs, and so EJ doesn't really have that high of a bar to reach for next season if he wants to replace that "production".

Yep good point. Those runs count whether they were lucky or not. Well put Omar you brought the shutgun :D.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Sep 9, 2015 -> 03:20 PM)
Shark taking the QO and the White Sox trading Quintana as a result is not the worst thing in the world.

Sale/Shark/Rodon/Johnson/Danks is a nice rotation

Unless they nail that trade that would be one of the most fan murdering things ever. And does anyone think they will "get right" a trade for position players? I certainly don't. Ugh, no Q and Shark at 17-18 million. That would be hard to f***ing stomach. I view Shark as a bum. Q is not a bum. Q is worth cheering for. Shark is not imo.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Sep 9, 2015 -> 11:15 AM)
What's interesting in there is that he calculates a qualifying offer at $17.1 million. That's the first I've seen of somebody putting an exact number on it.

I came up with $15.5 million. :huh:

Salary info if anyone else wants to check the math.

Edited by Iwritecode

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Sep 9, 2015 -> 03:23 PM)
Unless they nail that trade that would be one of the most fan murdering things ever. And does anyone think they will "get right" a trade for position players? I certainly don't. Ugh, no Q and Shark at 17-18 million. That would be hard to f***ing stomach. I view Shark as a bum. Q is not a bum. Q is worth cheering for. Shark is not imo.

It's also baseball stupid regrading Shark. I never got the hype. I guess Billy Beane didn't either.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Sep 10, 2015 -> 01:35 AM)
Just move on Sox FO. It was worth the shot IMO. Didn't work out. That's baseball. Let's stick to our "retooling" plan. Got some nice young prospects. Let's move Q for the right young cost controlled bat.

I agree that is was the right move (or at least a positive one) and that it's now time to move on. It happens. It's like making a move in Risk with 2x the armies of your opponent. Hey, sometimes the roll of the dice f*** you. Time to move on. Don't offer him the QO. He'll take it imo.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 9, 2015 -> 11:02 PM)
I think he can. Johnsons stock is very important and his performance was huge.

Rock do you have any insight into the Hahn KW dynamic? Thanks for any info you might have even if it's a no comment or no info. I respect your info even if I often disagree with what you have to report. thanks man.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Sep 9, 2015 -> 09:20 PM)
Shark taking the QO and the White Sox trading Quintana as a result is not the worst thing in the world.

Sale/Shark/Rodon/Johnson/Danks is a nice rotation

if shark bait take the QO, then shark bait becomes trade bait.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 9, 2015 -> 11:01 PM)
Let me put it this way. From what I hear the FO is relieved that Shark didn't take the deal that was on the table. That number has come and gone. If he wants a short term cheaper deal including a one year that's his only option with the white sox.

Don't let the door hit you in the @ss ...

Edited by La Marr Hoyt HOF

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 10, 2015 -> 05:01 AM)
Let me put it this way. From what I hear the FO is relieved that Shark didn't take the deal that was on the table. That number has come and gone. If he wants a short term cheaper deal including a one year that's his only option with the white sox.

i know i'm sure as hell relieved.