Sox have tried to sign Samardzija to a long term deal

Sockin

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Sep 10, 2015 -> 08:27 AM)
The person sitting to my right at the moment is wearing a Jeff Samardzija Sox jersey. Why... just why.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Sep 10, 2015 -> 08:51 AM)
Lol that jersey is an embarrassment.

I also have his jersey.

My reasoning, my cousin grew up with him and are best friends. I've got to hangout with him when we were kids (7 years older than me), so when he got traded to the Sox, I was excited as was my entire family because we know what Jeff is capable of. Just didn't pan out.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 10, 2015 -> 12:01 AM)
Let me put it this way. From what I hear the FO is relieved that Shark didn't take the deal that was on the table. That number has come and gone. If he wants a short term cheaper deal including a one year that's his only option with the white sox.

If true, then I would assume the rift between Shark and Coop does not exist. Because there is no way the FO would want Shark back on a team with so many young pitchers. Imagine Coop trying to get Rodon to make changes while he knows Shark does not trust Coop's advice. Either that or Coop is on his way out.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Sep 10, 2015 -> 10:57 AM)
I also have his jersey.

My reasoning, my cousin grew up with him and are best friends. I've got to hangout with him when we were kids (7 years older than me), so when he got traded to the Sox, I was excited as was my entire family because we know what Jeff is capable of. Just didn't pan out.

That's 100% acceptable in my book.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Sep 10, 2015 -> 11:02 PM)
If true, then I would assume the rift between Shark and Coop does not exist. Because there is no way the FO would want Shark back on a team with so many young pitchers. Imagine Coop trying to get Rodon to make changes while he knows Shark does not trust Coop's advice. Either that or Coop is on his way out.

while you do make a excellent point about coop.

i just look at Rodon and see how the sox coaches handle him. they did a great job and esp not overloading him.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Sep 11, 2015 -> 11:42 AM)
IMHO, it was park of the Sox trying to woo Samardzija into an extension. Same with giving him his own K-zone. Thankfully it did not work.

Why thankfully it did not work out? If it did work out, the Sox would have a shot right now. Just Samardzija's second half alone, if he was just average, they are probably over .500 even as poorly as they have played overall. I wish they didn't trade for him, but do wish since they did, it worked out.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 11, 2015 -> 11:50 AM)
Why thankfully it did not work out? If it did work out, the Sox would have a shot right now. Just Samardzija's second half alone, if he was just average, they are probably over .500 even as poorly as they have played overall. I wish they didn't trade for him, but do wish since they did, it worked out.

I think he meant that given Samardzija's bad season, it's a good thing the efforts to convince him to sign an extension didn't work out.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 11, 2015 -> 11:50 AM)

Thankfully in that I am happy the Sox did not work out an extension before Samardzija stunk up the south side of chicago. Samardzija's insistence on going to free agency has turned into a Sox blessing.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Sep 11, 2015 -> 11:59 AM)
Thankfully in that I am happy the Sox did not work out an extension before Samardzija stunk up the south side of chicago. Samardzija's insistence on going to free agency has turned into a Sox blessing.

JR, RH, and KW should send his agent a case of the finest champagne after every one of these starts he stinks up the joint. On the plus side, they did try to sign him and had every intention of signing him, and they knew what he turned down, so that money should be available to be allocated somewhere else.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 11, 2015 -> 12:11 PM)
JR, RH, and KW should send his agent a case of the finest champagne after every one of these starts he stinks up the joint. On the plus side, they did try to sign him and had every intention of signing him, and they knew what he turned down, so that money should be available to be allocated somewhere else.

Thankfully nothing has changed since the extension offer.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 11, 2015 -> 12:11 PM)

Absolutely agree DA and you make a great point about the money saved by Samardzija rejecting the Sox extension. Do you think this means the could extend the payroll some for next season? Imo, they should since, as you said, they had money allocated for the extension but since that money has not been spent and the Sox are in need of hitting, there should be some money available towards bringing in a positional player to help the offense. Not necessarily through FA but maybe acquire a player through trade.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Sep 11, 2015 -> 12:25 PM)
Absolutely agree DA and you make a great point about the money saved by Samardzija rejecting the Sox extension. Do you think this means the could extend the payroll some for next season? Imo, they should since, as you said, they had money allocated for the extension but since that money has not been spent and the Sox are in need of hitting, there should be some money available towards bringing in a positional player to help the offense. Not necessarily through FA but maybe acquire a player through trade.

That's what I have been saying from the beginning, if the Sox were willing to go long term on a free agent pitcher (which they rarely do), then I think they will have money to go after a hitter this off season (Upton, Heyward, Cespedes)

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Sep 11, 2015 -> 12:25 PM)

I would think yes. Maybe they were pinning everything on making the playoffs, but they did hedge it a bit and say they weren't where they wanted to be. I would think the $15-20 million a year it would have cost to sign him was coming from somewhere other than hoping the fans would show up if the Sox were close. They didn't in 2012, even in 2005, there were a couple of real clunkers attendance-wise in September. Hopefully the can make a couple of good trades, maybe get lucky with a reclamation project, maybe sign a free agent. When they fixed their defense a bit, they did start playing a better brand of baseball. The OFs aren't missing cutoff men. There is an issue with pitchers not backing up bases (Sale in particular) but that can be fixed. The dumbness seems to have gone down a bit from where it has been. Hopefully, next year it will not be a pronounced as it's been, and they can play no dumber than any other team. There are still some really good pieces here. A couple top of the line pieces.

They do need some offense, especially some on base and power.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 11, 2015 -> 12:37 PM)
I would think yes. Maybe they were pinning everything on making the playoffs, but they did hedge it a bit and say they weren't where they wanted to be. I would think the $15-20 million a year it would have cost to sign him was coming from somewhere other than hoping the fans would show up if the Sox were close. They didn't in 2012, even in 2005, there were a couple of real clunkers attendance-wise in September. Hopefully the can make a couple of good trades, maybe get lucky with a reclamation project, maybe sign a free agent. When they fixed their defense a bit, they did start playing a better brand of baseball. The OFs aren't missing cutoff men. There is an issue with pitchers not backing up bases (Sale in particular) but that can be fixed. The dumbness seems to have gone down a bit from where it has been. Hopefully, next year it will not be a pronounced as it's been, and they can play no dumber than any other team. There are still some really good pieces here. A couple top of the line pieces.

They do need some offense, especially some on base and power.

Again, great points DA. I've noticed the improvement on defense as well and the dugout seems to have more life too. There are still a few sour pusses but over all I see more players enjoying the game.

I'm not expecting the Sox to sign any of the big FA outfielders but there are some interesting free agents available. Personally, I'm really hoping for more smaller moves than fewer big moves. Fixing more holes is what's really important to me. In an effort to incur more power into the lineup I can see the Sox looking more along the lines of acquiring players like, for examples, Louis Valbuena for 3B and Pedro Alvarez for DH as the smaller but less costly moves. Maybe look into a guy like DJ LaMahieu from Colorado or sign a FA like Ian Desmond to play SS or 3B. Can alwzys look into Jason Castro to pair up with Flowers. Not necessarily these specific players but players along these lines are more affordable and would be more reasonable on the budget and allow the Sox to fill more holes with that 15-20M you spoke of.

If the Sox were close to being contenders I could see going after a big name like Heyward or Cespedes etc but with so many holes its just not reasonable, imo. Besides, signing one of them does not help the holes in the infield which should be more important.