Nick Hostetler Promoted to Director of Amateur Scouting

Y2Jimmy0

QUOTE (LDF @ Aug 4, 2015 -> 06:30 AM)
the main philosophy is between college vs hs. kids. i think there has to be a happy medium between the 2. however the sox like college in the 1 round, b/c that person will be closest to the majors.

i will admit high ceiling vs high floor, well, i guess i will need to really think out that difference in order to make any semblance of an informed answer.

let me asked this of those who can answer. to me, i always assumed that the sox picked, esp in the 1 round, prospects who were easy to sign and can make the majors quickly, as oppose to players who were more talented. was that how any saw it???

This is an interesting question. LDF, I believe that it used to be this way. There was a period where the Sox neglected the draft badly and signed "quick to the majors" low upside starters in the 1st round. the Lance Broadways and Chris McCulloughs of the world. It was a terrible time. Then it seemed like Kenny Williams wanted to infuse the system with athletic tools type guys. At the same time, Jerry Reinsdorf didn't want to spend $$ on the amateur draft. Because of this, they used high picks on guys like Jared Mitchell (fine pick at the time), Trayce Thompson and Keenyn Walker. In 2011, Chris Sale kind of fell in their lap and they rightfully chose him. I feel like 2012 is the year in which it flipped though. The draft bonus system changed and kind of leveled the playing field for the White Sox. In 2012, there were rumors of Marcus Stroman and Michael Wacha. College pitchers which have been a typical staple of the White Sox. This time, they took athletic HS OF Courtney Hawkins. In the comp round, they took Keon Barnum. 2013 was similar, there were rumors about the Sox taking college pitching and then they took Tim Anderson from JUCO and Tyler Danish from HS. We all know about 2014. The White Sox spent the 2nd most money in the entire draft and landed Rodon and Adams. Bottom line, the drafts have been much better but it's ridiculous that they weren't always taken seriously prior to the rules being changed.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Aug 4, 2015 -> 02:13 PM)
You always take the BPA no matter what, and he said that in the same interview.

i guess you and i had this discussion before. but it all depends for me.

that is all i will say.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 4, 2015 -> 09:26 AM)
This is an interesting question. LDF, I believe that it used to be this way. There was a period where the Sox neglected the draft badly and signed "quick to the majors" low upside starters in the 1st round. the Lance Broadways and Chris McCulloughs of the world. It was a terrible time. Then it seemed like Kenny Williams wanted to infuse the system with athletic tools type guys. At the same time, Jerry Reinsdorf didn't want to spend $$ on the amateur draft. Because of this, they used high picks on guys like Jared Mitchell (fine pick at the time), Trayce Thompson and Keenyn Walker. In 2011, Chris Sale kind of fell in their lap and they rightfully chose him. I feel like 2012 is the year in which it flipped though. The draft bonus system changed and kind of leveled the playing field for the White Sox. In 2012, there were rumors of Marcus Stroman and Michael Wacha. College pitchers which have been a typical staple of the White Sox. This time, they took athletic HS OF Courtney Hawkins. In the comp round, they took Keon Barnum. 2013 was similar, there were rumors about the Sox taking college pitching and then they took Tim Anderson from JUCO and Tyler Danish from HS. We all know about 2014. The White Sox spent the 2nd most money in the entire draft and landed Rodon and Adams. Bottom line, the drafts have been much better but it's ridiculous that they weren't always taken seriously prior to the rules being changed.

I don't think that it wasn't taken seriously at all. I think it was an organized philosophy of chasing the ring for many years which led them to put resources into the major league team instead of the draft. The number from a few years back about the Sox having a long period of time when they were last in draft spending proved that out to me. They would have rather drafted lower players, and pay them less, and instead used the money to put back into the major league team.

That has definitely changed over the last five years or so, along with a re-emergence of working hard in Latin American with Marco Paddy's arrival.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 4, 2015 -> 02:26 PM)

all i have to say is wow, this is most excellent explanation of what i needed.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 4, 2015 -> 09:31 AM)
I don't think that it wasn't taken seriously at all. I think it was an organized philosophy of chasing the ring for many years which led them to put resources into the major league team instead of the draft. The number from a few years back about the Sox having a long period of time when they were last in draft spending proved that out to me. They would have rather drafted lower players, and pay them less, and instead used the money to put back into the major league team.

That has definitely changed over the last five years or so, along with a re-emergence of working hard in Latin American with Marco Paddy's arrival.

I agree with your points but that philosophy is ridiculous. It's a franchise in Chicago. There was no excuse to not spend on the big league team and on the draft at the same time. It has been much better.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Aug 4, 2015 -> 09:25 AM)
He is only there as a source of information, Hostetler is in complete control of his department and his people. That means he doesn't have to take Laumann's advice, so chill out

Why even keep him around? God forbid someone loses their job for the lack of success this franchise has had.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 4, 2015 -> 09:31 AM)

They still can't escape this philosophy with the major league roster though.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 4, 2015 -> 09:35 AM)
I like how you were mad when you thought Laumann was promoted, and then stayed mad even after you learned he was basically pushed aside into a smaller role, and are still mad.

I had a lot more anger for White Sox scouting until the numbers and information started to trickle in, and after the new CBA, our farm system has done a 180. The talent for growth and scouting is there, we just hadn't utilized it properly on a management level. For that I blame JR and KW for making the decision to spend where they did, and not on guys like Laumman.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 4, 2015 -> 02:46 PM)
They still can't escape this philosophy with the major league roster though.

but that philosophy only goes so far, then the $$$ takes over. do the minimum of a modest to even lower budget and expect the best.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 4, 2015 -> 09:51 AM)
As long as it isn't hurting spending on the draft and internationally, it isn't hurting anything.

Well, i'd argue the Melky/Robertson signings did do just that.

I had a lot more anger for White Sox scouting until the numbers and information started to trickle in, and after the new CBA, our farm system has done a 180. The talent for growth and scouting is there, we just hadn't utilized it properly on a management level. For that I blame JR and KW for making the decision to spend where they did, and not on guys like Laumman.

That's a fair point. Unfortunately those two are the most untouchable.

As long as it isn't hurting spending on the draft and internationally, it isn't hurting anything.

It's handcuffing your general manager's ability to build the roster in the way he sees fit, because the owner/president want to try to win now, every year.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 4, 2015 -> 09:56 AM)
It's handcuffing your general manager's ability to build the roster in the way he sees fit, because the owner/president want to try to win now, every year.

Honestly, I think it has been better for our system, because fewer guys are being rushed to the majors before they are ready.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 4, 2015 -> 08:56 AM)

And/or the philosophical belief that draft spending was out of control and they weren't going to play that game without caps and slotting...therefore it was the responsibility of the White Sox to toe the line and follow JR's cue (with the notable exception of Borchard) until the playing field was finally equalized.

That wasn't KW's doing. He was given an edict from above and had to follow it.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 4, 2015 -> 10:01 AM)
Technically winning is going to hurt the system more as well, I am guessing most aren't opposed to that.

Not as much as losing 2 early round picks and the affects it has on the pool.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 4, 2015 -> 10:21 AM)
JD Martinez would have looked nice in RF or LF and wouldn't have cost us a thing other than a waiver claim.

We passed. Detroit didn't. Thirty bombs this year already.

Seeing as he got to a first place team, that means the entire NL passed, as did almost all of the AL. Something like 25 teams passed on JD.

JD Martinez would have looked nice in RF or LF and wouldn't have cost us a thing other than a waiver claim.

You're right, caulfield. If the Sox made better moves and got all the good players when they were available, they'd be much better off right now. I wonder why they haven't tried that strategy yet.

Good lord, is there anything you won't complain about?

Jose Quintana would look pretty good in just about every rotation. Anyone could have had him.

Guys fall through the cracks. JD Martinez would be a better RF than Alex Rios, and Q would look pretty good in the rotation for your KC Royals.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 4, 2015 -> 03:02 PM)
And/or the philosophical belief that draft spending was out of control and they weren't going to play that game without caps and slotting...therefore it was the responsibility of the White Sox to toe the line and follow JR's cue (with the notable exception of Borchard) until the playing field was finally equalized.

That wasn't KW's doing. He was given an edict from above and had to follow it.

and as a result of the owners stand, the system went down the tubes for how long??

just to prove a point???

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 4, 2015 -> 03:21 PM)

how is the waiver list order is judge??

i always thought it was on the win / lost record like the draft order.