Potential Ventura replacements

Buehrle>Wood

Let's hear some names. I'll start with some obvious ones that'll get tossed around:

1. Ozzie Guillen- His .524 winning percentage with the Sox is a lot better than Ventura's. Left on bad terms though.

2. Dave Martinez- The next great manager according to everyone but the 30 GMs running teams. Worrisome that he hasn't been hired yet, particularly by the Rays.

3. Joe McEwing- Perennial managerial and been with the Sox awhile now. Good 3rd base coach outside whatever the f*** 2 nights ago was.

4. Sandy Alomar Jr- The coveted catcher to manager move. Being groomed as a manager by the Indians. Obvious Sox ties.

5. Joey Cora- Key part of the Guillen "glory days" but without the shenanigans. Vanderbilt educated.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 5, 2015 -> 08:16 AM)
Let's hear some names. I'll start with some obvious ones that'll get tossed around:

1. Ozzie Guillen- His .524 winning percentage with the Sox is a lot better than Ventura's. Left on bad terms though.

2. Dave Martinez- The next great manager according to everyone but the 30 GMs running teams. Worrisome that he hasn't been hired yet, particularly by the Rays.

3. Joe McEwing- Perennial managerial and been with the Sox awhile now. Good 3rd base coach outside whatever the f*** 2 nights ago was.

4. Sandy Alomar Jr- The coveted catcher to manager move. Being groomed as a manager by the Indians. Obvious Sox ties.

5. Joey Cora- Key part of the Guillen "glory days" but without the shenanigans. Vanderbilt educated.

The only one on that list I would entertain would be Sany Alomar Jr. He would be an interesting hire. Cora maybe. But the rest no.

I want to see someone who actually has some experience. If they hire another ex-sox player with zero experience I would be very disappointed. No Thome, no Thomas, no AJ. I want an actual guy with some experience.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 5, 2015 -> 01:16 PM)

and as southsideirish71 said, and he brought up some interesting points.

i really like

1. Roger McDowell

2. Dave Martinez

3. fred gonzalez

honorable mention cora and ivan pudge rodriguez asst coach somehow.

``` edit - oh crap i forgot the internal options. -- jose bautista --

Edited by LDF

Ron Gardenhire.

It will be very interesting to see what happens if KW departs for Toronto. If so, I think JR's first call is to Tony LaRussa to try and get him back in the org. If LaRussa is in charge, you would think that McEwing has the inside track. Other than that, it will depend on who is brought in to fill that role.

Perhaps JR would make a run at Dombrowski to fill the president role and bring him back to Chicago, that is if he doesn't end up taking Lucchinos job in Boston in the mean time. If Dombrowski is your guy, then you have a much different pool of candidates than you would with KW or LaRussa.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Aug 5, 2015 -> 08:16 AM)
It will be very interesting to see what happens if KW departs for Toronto. If so, I think JR's first call is to Tony LaRussa to try and get him back in the org. If LaRussa is in charge, you would think that McEwing has the inside track. Other than that, it will depend on who is brought in to fill that role.

Perhaps JR would make a run at Dombrowski to fill the president role and bring him back to Chicago, that is if he doesn't end up taking Lucchinos job in Boston in the mean time. If Dombrowski is your guy, then you have a much different pool of candidates than you would with KW or LaRussa.

The White Sox won't pay a front office exec $10 million per season until around say 2030...

1, 3 and 5 are ridiculous.

No gardenhire either. Modern thinking and ideas please.

Edited by GreenSox

It's too bad Williams will likely have the biggest say in Ventura's potential replacement. In any other organization, Williams, likely Hahn, and Ventura would be long gone.

However, my number one is Dave Martinez. I think the Ozzie thing is still over. He's a good diplomat for the team, but I don't want the circus again.

Edited by AustinIllini

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Aug 5, 2015 -> 02:16 PM)

i think DD will be a hot commodity in the off season, LAA, Tor Bos for starters.

QUOTE (LDF @ Aug 5, 2015 -> 09:24 AM)
i think DD will be a hot commodity in the off season, LAA, Tor Bos for starters.

I dont think the Angels are a fit, he is going somewhere to be the President, not GM. Toronto and Boston are the two most likely teams. It really kills the Sox if he goes to Toronto as that is probably our only shot at getting rid of KW for good.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Aug 5, 2015 -> 02:41 PM)
I dont think the Angels are a fit, he is going somewhere to be the President, not GM. Toronto and Boston are the two most likely teams. It really kills the Sox if he goes to Toronto as that is probably our only shot at getting rid of KW for good.

i know, that was what i was thinking yesterday when he announcement came out.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 5, 2015 -> 09:20 AM)
The White Sox won't pay a front office exec $10 million per season until around say 2030...

Seeing as Dombrowski was supposedly one of the highest paid front office guys in baseball, and he was making $3 million a year, I think your numbers are off.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Aug 5, 2015 -> 09:20 AM)
1, 3 and 5 are ridiculous.

No gardenhire either. Modern thinking and ideas please.

I dont understand what this means? The manager that has done the most with least talent in this division over the last two decades all of a sudden doesn't know how to manage? The guy that played the way the game is played now throughout the steroid era because he didn't have the bats can't fit into todays game? I am not particularly fond of the idea of Gardenhire but really don't get the "modern" comments related to him.

The point is likely moot, we all know the next manager is going to be PK, hell he was almost the current manager.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 5, 2015 -> 08:44 AM)
Seeing as Dombrowski was supposedly one of the highest paid front office guys in baseball, and he was making $3 million a year, I think your numbers are off.

Friedman is making $7 million.

Passan and I are crazy people.

The Dodgers lured Andrew Friedman away from the Rays by making him the highest-paid front office executive in baseball, with a $35 million contract over five years to be the Dodgers president of baseball operations, according to Buster Olney of ESPN.

Epstein is at $18 million for five years, or $3.6 million per season. Brian Cashman, $3 million.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 5, 2015 -> 09:50 AM)
Friedman is making $7 million.

Passan and I are crazy people.

The Dodgers lured Andrew Friedman away from the Rays by making him the highest-paid front office executive in baseball, with a $35 million contract over five years to be the Dodgers president of baseball operations, according to Buster Olney of ESPN.

Epstein is at $18 million for five years, or $3.6 million per season. Brian Cashman, $3 million.

So Dombrowski is going to make $10 million a year? Here's a wager you won't take. If he gets $10 million a year, I will take a year off this site. If he doesn't you take a year off this site. Deal?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 5, 2015 -> 08:56 AM)
So Dombrowski is going to make $10 million a year? Here's a wager you won't take. If he gets $10 million a year, I will take a year off this site. If he doesn't you take a year off this site. Deal?

Including ownership interest/shares or equity as part of the president's position, sure.