8.5 Games

GGajewski18

Brantly & Coats both with HRs. Coats sure is pretty impressive.

Davidson 1-4, 2 RBIs, 3 Ks

Anderson/May 0-4

Delmonico 0-2 BB

Barons getting destroyed

Trey/Engel 0-4

Peter/Alvarez 1-4

Brennan left early with a hand injury. Interesting, Dykstra coming out of the pen tonight. Almonte must of bounced him from the rotation.

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ Aug 5, 2015 -> 10:47 PM)
What an incredible stat line from Matt Cooper's last 10 games: 13.2 IP, 3H, 1BB, 0ER, 31K.

If a top draft pick had those stats, there would be wet dreams all over the place. Cooper?? In nobody's Top Anything. But if there is a trade looming, the other team will want Cooper thrown into the deal.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Aug 6, 2015 -> 06:10 AM)
If a top draft pick had those stats, there would be wet dreams all over the place. Cooper?? In nobody's Top Anything. But if there is a trade looming, the other team will want Cooper thrown into the deal.

But very few top draft picks are minor league relievers.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Aug 5, 2015 -> 09:03 PM)
Brantly & Coats both with HRs. Coats sure is pretty impressive.

Davidson 1-4, 2 RBIs, 3 Ks

Anderson/May 0-4

Delmonico 0-2 BB

Barons getting destroyed

Trey/Engel 0-4

Peter/Alvarez 1-4

Brennan left early with a hand injury. Interesting, Dykstra coming out of the pen tonight. Almonte must of bounced him from the rotation.

Yikes, multiple injuries last night. Also, Brennan has been hurt every year he's been in the system.

Cooper is on the radar, and he certainly deserves a promotion. But you have to take into account the full picture.

Yes, his stats have been absurd, which is why he should be promoted and challenged. But he's also a 23-year old reliever in A-ball. And more important than that is, unless he's made significant additions to his stuff (which is certainly possible), when I saw him in May, it was clear this was a guy who could see success in the minors but likely wasn't a major leaguer. His fastball was 89-91, with some sink but no other special characteristics. His offspeed pitches were a change and curve that were both just OK, though he was able to release them and they look identical until near the plate - that's his "trick" if you will.

I've seen some reports his FB is a couple clicks faster now (unconfirmed readings of the stadium gun, which I'd be skeptical of), and apparently he now has some pitch in the upper 80s that likely is a cutter. If those are both true, then he becomes interesting, but still not T30-worth in my view. Not quite anyway. Now if he keeps doing this in A+ and AA, moving up quickly to get a little closer to age-appropriate, that changes things. More so, if we (or someone else) can get a live look at see what may have changed, that has an effect too.

While the stuff is different, the results and age-for-level are very reminiscent of Dan Remenowsky (though Rem was even more dominant in the lower levels). Rem never succeeded above AA. I was fooled on him for a few years too, until I got to know his stuff better. Even when I was ranking him probably too high in the back of the teens, he was just scraping into the 20s in what was a weaker system at the time.

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ Aug 5, 2015 -> 10:47 PM)
What an incredible stat line from Matt Cooper's last 10 games: 13.2 IP, 3H, 1BB, 0ER, 31K.

That's just ridiculous, in a good way. I think it's time to find room for Cooper on the Winston roster.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Aug 5, 2015 -> 10:55 PM)
Adolfo got hurt at a play at the plate. Holding his ankle, had to get carried off the field.

Zangari 2-3 BB

Corey Zangari's 1st 19 games: 1 BB, 24 K's. Zangari's last 11: games 6 BB, 7 K's. Right now he has an .818 OPS in AZ as an 18 year old, and is tied for 5th in HRs.

QUOTE (Sox Fan In Husker Land @ Aug 6, 2015 -> 01:42 PM)
Corey Zangari's 1st 19 games: 1 BB, 24 K's. Zangari's last 11: games 6 BB, 7 K's. Right now he has an .818 OPS in AZ as an 18 year old, and is tied for 5th in HRs.

That is quite a turnaround on the BB/K ratio

Trade? What kind of trade? Surely not mine where the Sox are jettisoning prospects.