Veteran Starting Pitchers

oldsox

Sox have 3 vet starters at Charlotte: Noesi, Penny, and Drabek. They are eating up innings that could go elsewhere, even though there is little chance of them getting promoted to White Sox. Possible exception is Drabek.

With all the young pitchers throughout the minor league system, I see no reason why these three are taking a regular turn, since so many young pitchers could use the innings.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Aug 7, 2015 -> 08:21 AM)
Sox have 3 vet starters at Charlotte: Noesi, Penny, and Drabek. They are eating up innings that could go elsewhere, even though there is little chance of them getting promoted to White Sox. Possible exception is Drabek.

With all the young pitchers throughout the minor league system, I see no reason why these three are taking a regular turn, since so many young pitchers could use the innings.

Who do you think, specifically, should get three starting slots in Charlotte? Because I see 2, max, from AA that might be ready - Jaye and Montas. I'd agree that Jaye should come up. Montas maybe too. But the other thing is, BHAM is in a playoff race, and the club tends to like keeping key guys around that as the season comes to a close.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Aug 7, 2015 -> 09:21 AM)

I would assume that there aren't any AA guys ready for AAA.

Triple-A is a league of re-treads and MLB failures; When Sept 1 happens, they'll shift guys around.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 7, 2015 -> 09:31 AM)
Who do you think, specifically, should get three starting slots in Charlotte? Because I see 2, max, from AA that might be ready - Jaye and Montas. I'd agree that Jaye should come up. Montas maybe too. But the other thing is, BHAM is in a playoff race, and the club tends to like keeping key guys around that as the season comes to a close.

I'd also like them to go easy on Montas given that he's still building up innings, but we'll see. Would be nice to get him a AA playoff start after a full season there.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Aug 7, 2015 -> 01:21 PM)

Sox have a good report with Charlotte. They deserve to have a chance to compete. No reason to rush pitchers.

QUOTE (MnSoxFan @ Aug 7, 2015 -> 08:38 AM)
Sox have a good report with Charlotte. They deserve to have a chance to compete. No reason to rush pitchers.

They also seem to get good nibbles on pitchers trying to recover their careers, which can be a life line to some cheap lottery tickets.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 7, 2015 -> 03:19 PM)
They also seem to get good nibbles on pitchers trying to recover their careers, which can be a life line to some cheap lottery tickets.

maybe at the time of getting the pitchers, the sox didn't have one that was a AAA pitcher at the time. mostly AA and single A. they need to field a team. hence the old vets.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 7, 2015 -> 07:31 AM)

Okay. Cut Penny, promote Jaye. Bring someone up to Birmingham from W-S and so on. Decisions for Ynoa and Tago have to be made this off season. I say get them as many quality innings as possible.