2015-2016 NBA Thread

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 20, 2015 -> 03:29 PM)
Magic's career was anchored by the NBA's all time leading scorer, plus another Hall of Famer in Worthy. LeBron did have the four years in Miami with Bosh and Wade, but still managed to make finals with teams that literally had no one of historical note. Magic didn't win a title without those guys. He did get to the finals once without Kareem, but still had a prime Worthy.

Right. Last year was amazing. When he had shooters he would draw attention and get them open looks, when he lost literally everyone he singlehandedly dictated the pace to slow down and iso the Warriors to death, and it nearly worked. He acted as a free safety on defense and allowed his teammates to play risky, in your face D and he would clean up.

I hate that he's so good but he's soooooooooo g-d good.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 20, 2015 -> 03:29 PM)
Magic's career was anchored by the NBA's all time leading scorer, plus another Hall of Famer in Worthy. LeBron did have the four years in Miami with Bosh and Wade, but still managed to make finals with teams that literally had no one of historical note. Magic didn't win a title without those guys. He did get to the finals once without Kareem, but still had a prime Worthy.

Kareem won 5 more titles with Magic, when he was passed his prime. It was Magic leading the way, not Kareem.

Worthy's production fell off a cliff when he no longer played with Magic, again I would argue that Magic got him so many good looks with his GOAT playmaking.

LeBron is one the greatest players ever, but his playmaking skills are nowhere near Magic's. In a team, I'd rather have Magic handling the rock than LBJ. LeBron has a tendency to dribble too much whereas with Magic, the ball movement was quicker and not as stagnant. In my team, Bron better learn to play off ball because Magic is my ballhandler.

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Oct 20, 2015 -> 09:23 PM)
So the Bulls might suck without Thibbs. Who would have saw that coming?

So yeah - it's the preseason. This is a damn-talented roster that's going to wind up being a 2-4 seed.

EDIT: Not that that means they'll win anything (because LeBron), but preseason.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 21, 2015 -> 07:31 AM)
And if they don't end up a top 4 seed, their pet project should be fired after year 1. Well, garpax should be fired too but that won't happen.

Garpax should really be fired (or at least one of them) if we go through another season of 48-60 wins but not even an ECF appearance.

This team needs a trade (big man for guard/wing) but just won't do it. Look at the Cavs and their acquisitions of Smith, Mozgov, Shumpert, etc. ... midseason trades can help and they would help our issue with having too many bigs competing for minutes.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Oct 21, 2015 -> 08:06 AM)
Garpax should really be fired (or at least one of them) if we go through another season of 48-60 wins but not even an ECF appearance.

This team needs a trade (big man for guard/wing) but just won't do it. Look at the Cavs and their acquisitions of Smith, Mozgov, Shumpert, etc. ... midseason trades can help and they would help our issue with having too many bigs competing for minutes.

They should have gone before Thibs. We will see. It is really hard to take much out of preseason games, especially when they aren't playing with their entire roster, but it is interesting J G Buckets plays 37 minutes on Monday night then 32 on Tuesday in games that don't count, and not a word about the Mayor running his players into the ground.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 21, 2015 -> 08:46 AM)
They should have gone before Thibs. We will see. It is really hard to take much out of preseason games, especially when they aren't playing with their entire roster, but it is interesting J G Buckets plays 37 minutes on Monday night then 32 on Tuesday in games that don't count, and not a word about the Mayor running his players into the ground.

I don't usually believe in keeping coaches and firing GMs. Usually, it feels like the coach should go with the GM.

As far as Thibs, it's clear that wasn't working. Thibs is a defensive tactician but his offensive schemes are just too poor for the NBA. However, now the Bulls probably have the opposite.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Oct 20, 2015 -> 08:22 PM)
Kareem won 5 more titles with Magic, when he was passed his prime. It was Magic leading the way, not Kareem.

Worthy's production fell off a cliff when he no longer played with Magic, again I would argue that Magic got him so many good looks with his GOAT playmaking.

LeBron is one the greatest players ever, but his playmaking skills are nowhere near Magic's. In a team, I'd rather have Magic handling the rock than LBJ. LeBron has a tendency to dribble too much whereas with Magic, the ball movement was quicker and not as stagnant. In my team, Bron better learn to play off ball because Magic is my ballhandler.

Jabar's best scoring years were long gone by the time Magic got to LA. All four of his 30 ppg seasons were done before that point.

Worthy only played two seasons without Magic, and by that time he was already fading.

You cut any one of the 4 and you still are sitting pretty. Kobe is an obvious choice because he is now just a chucker and that Kobe is in most minds, not the guy winning titles. Even though IMO, he is the most gifted, with talent and size, I think the guy I would cut, if we are talking in their prime is Lebron. He got really passive playing with Wade and Bosh for the longest time. Kobe and the MJs would never have done that.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 21, 2015 -> 02:16 PM)
Eh, can't help it. In preseason the offense looks not very good (i.e. not built for being a heavy 3pt team since we...don't have 3 pt shooters) on offense, and really bad on defense.

Playing the corpse of Hinrich is a pretty big indicator of the limit of this team without Rose. And unfortunately I hate every combination of our bigs. I bet Taj is dealt so Portis gets some playing time but that's not going to solve the awkardness of every combo with Noah, who looks so terrible offensively.

And sadly, McDermott seems like a gigantic bust.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Oct 21, 2015 -> 07:10 PM)
Yeah, they definitely are...

Cavs

---drop off---

Bulls

---steep drop off---

Heat

Wizards

Bucks/Raptors/Hawks

I would group the Heat with the Bulls. McRoberts and Bosh back along with a full offseason with guys like Whiteside and Dragic. Justice Winslow was a steal also.