2015-2016 NBA Thread

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 2, 2016 -> 07:54 AM)
I will say the Bulls team last year had some really bad runs when Dunleavy was out of lineup, much stronger with him in it.

He is one of the few players who plays within the flow of an offense. He always makes decisions quickly and keeps things moving. Love him as a player.

It isn't that Dunleavy is great, it is that Dunleavy replaces guys who consistently seem to be negative players. So the collective difference essentially rates MJD as a better player than he is. Snell, Niko, and Doug have relatively consistently been awful. They all have had there moments but from a consistent perspetcive, they are consistently poor players. Even Snell, who once plays consistent defense seems to have lost that edge too and when it comes to Niko and Doug, if they aren't scoring, they are worthless cause they are getting torched defensively. And yes, as someone else mentioned, our pick and roll d is bad.

That said, our OPP FG % is best in the league (or was...not sure if someone passed us in past couple days).

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 2, 2016 -> 08:17 AM)
A lot the team defends that way. The effort is way down in too many games.

Opp FG % is best in the league. Bulls got torched defensively against Clippers but there issues have been in pace and offensive efficiency. Defense has been there, even with the lousy pick and roll defense. That said, a lot of that was done with Noah around as well.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 2, 2016 -> 08:42 AM)
That's just it. I don't see any coaching. I don't see much effort most nights either, especially if we aren't playing a top team.

Offense is the issue and it is a major issue. Defensive intensity has been there (you wouldn't be rated from a metric perspective where they are, without that intensity). Hell, its amazing there defensive metrics are what they are considering the turnover issues they have on the offensive side. Offensively, they look terrible and it has to do with a combo of players we have out there and plays we are running. I don't know what the hell it is, but it ain't offense and its rarely pretty. MJD will solve a lot of spacing issues (if he's healthy) but the real issue is they have to figure out a system which maximizes Rose and Butlers ability to play together.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 2, 2016 -> 09:16 AM)
McD is in a much better place than he was last year. He isn't great now, but he was lost and had no confidence last year. Snell and Niko on the other hand are clearly behind where they were last year. Niko is another one who just doesn't seem interested in working hard or running a system. He snipes from distance, and that is about it.

I agree McD is better than last year. While Hoiberg gets credit for enabling him and helping him with his confidence, I still think most of his issues had nothing to do with Thibs and had everything to do with the fact that he was hurt and as a result fell out of favor. I guarantee he'd have gotten playing time with Thibs this year and probably been as good if not better. Thibs was very good at getting the most out of his guys, imo. And Thibs was behind and on board with drafting Doug (so it isn't like Gar / Pax shoved him down there throats).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 2, 2016 -> 12:25 PM)
I agree McD is better than last year. While Hoiberg gets credit for enabling him and helping him with his confidence, I still think most of his issues had nothing to do with Thibs and had everything to do with the fact that he was hurt and as a result fell out of favor. I guarantee he'd have gotten playing time with Thibs this year and probably been as good if not better. Thibs was very good at getting the most out of his guys, imo. And Thibs was behind and on board with drafting Doug (so it isn't like Gar / Pax shoved him down there throats).

And really, how much has he actually improved? His offensive game is as one dimensional as they come, his rebounding has somehow gotten worse, and he is less involved on offense when he is in the game this year than last year. Basically he has made open shots this year that he missed last year but McDermott was always a guy who was eventually going to be a solid spot up jump shooter.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 2, 2016 -> 10:42 AM)
Between that being Cowley, and the Sun Times, I am not even going to waste a click.

Cowley has been more accurate about the Bulls than any other reporter covering them. To be frank, I believed 100% of what he wrote in that article.

For those who can't deal with the Sun Times on line, Cowley basically said Gar knows he won't win a power struggle with Pax and he is letting the rest of the league know the Bulls mess has nothing to do with him just in case he gets whacked. He is also cozying up to Michael Reinsdorf. He is getting his ducks in a row. But it is Cowley.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 2, 2016 -> 02:29 PM)
For those who can't deal with the Sun Times on line, Cowley basically said Gar knows he won't win a power struggle with Pax and he is letting the rest of the league know the Bulls mess has nothing to do with him just in case he gets whacked. He is also cozying up to Michael Reinsdorf. He is getting his ducks in a row. But it is Cowley.

Thanks.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 2, 2016 -> 12:16 PM)
It's Cowley so who knows how much is made up:

http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/7/71/12...lf-preservation

I've heard similar from an athletic training type that I know. He knows some of the guys at the Bulls. Jason Goff has been talking about this as well. Seems like Forman could be done at year's end.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 2, 2016 -> 01:29 PM)

This sounds logical, however. Gar does not seem to operate in silence, so I wouldn't be surprised if Cowley is on this.

In defense of Cowley, whom I dislike, he is the only beat writer who publishes these stories for the bulls. Everything we hear usually comes from NY media.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 2, 2016 -> 04:20 PM)
This sounds logical, however. Gar does not seem to operate in silence, so I wouldn't be surprised if Cowley is on this.

In defense of Cowley, whom I dislike, he is the only beat writer who publishes these stories for the bulls. Everything we hear usually comes from NY media.

Agreed. It's basically New York Media, the Bulls own spin, or Cowley providing any insight. And as of late, Cowley has been quite strong, but that might be due to the realization of what is clearly visible onscreen.