2015-2016 NBA Thread

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Mar 30, 2016 -> 03:14 PM)
f*** and no. Noah has been/was so incredibly dreadful on the offensive end. He couldn't shoot. He couldn't get put backs. He couldn't shoot FT's. You brought in a guy to change up the offense and score points. Playing Noah and Gasol together wasn't going to achieve that goal. I backed Hoiberg on that decision 100% and I still do. Noah could have been an anchor on the defensive unit that played down the stretch when the Bulls had a solid lead. That would have been perfect. Expecting him to play the 4 with Gasol and actually contribute anything meaningful was a pipe dream.

Of all the things to complain about with the front office and Hoiberg, this issue is not on the list.

while i will respect your opinion, i am just posting what sports writers are talking about. the other thing, no-one except some fans are defending the bulls FO and / or Fred H.

if there was a huge outcry, then i may chg my opinion. however any lack of an encouraging tweet, there is really not a over whelming support.

Edited by LDF

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really have no idea if Hoiberg will be a good coach. He was totally set up to fail this year. They gave him the same injury plagued roster that has failed in the past. Spun it as the reason they haven't won was because of the coach. Started with Dunleavy sidelined with back surgery, like he would be absolutely fine in a week or two. Noah got hurt. General Soreness missed some games, just not as many as in the past. Butler missed games like he has the past couple of years. Taj actually was more healthy than normal. Pau is getting close to 40, he is going to miss games. The injuries should have surprised no one. The fact is they made a big deal of their "depth" that in the past did cover for these injuries until playoff time, when they can't be overcome.

The GarPax team needs to be split up. At least one has to go. Someone else needs to look at these guys. The Bulls have fallen in love with their good, just not good enough to win players for years. They need an outsider to stop this. Is Jimmy Butler or Derrick Rose, even if he's 100%, really the best player on a championship team?

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 30, 2016 -> 02:47 PM)
I really have no idea if Hoiberg will be a good coach. He was totally set up to fail this year. They gave him the same injury plagued roster that has failed in the past. Spun it as the reason they haven't won was because of the coach. Started with Dunleavy sidelined with back surgery, like he would be absolutely fine in a week or two.

The GarPax team needs to be split up. At least one has to go. Someone else needs to look at these guys. The Bulls have fallen in love with their good, just not good enough to win players for years. They need an outsider to stop this. Is Jimmy Butler or Derrick Rose, even if he's 100%, really the best player on a championship team?

i have a tendency to agree with the bold.

but the one thing i notice, first with the sox and kw, and now with the bulls and gar, the owners are in love with the Fo people who can kiss major booty.... maybe they perfected it with some experience tongue action and feathers.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 30, 2016 -> 09:31 AM)
Doing it and how he handled it are two completely separate issues. He told everyone that Noah came to him and suggested that he come off the bench, all of the media went to Noah immediately and asked him about it and he had no idea what they were talking about. In his misguided attempt to "protect" Noah he inadvertently embarrassed him AND revealed to him that he was coming off the bench through the media.

The decision was correct, the follow through was college level bulls***

I think that was all overblown. Noah didn't deny having the talk, he just didn't want it to seem like he had offered to play a lesser role, which is what Hoiberg said. In that talk he knew that he was coming off the bench. He didn't learn that through the media.

Still, again, that's a non-issue when it comes to evaluating what went wrong with this team. A professional like Noah could (and really, did) brush that off as a rookie-coach mistake.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Mar 30, 2016 -> 10:18 AM)
I think that was all overblown. Noah didn't deny having the talk, he just didn't want it to seem like he had offered to play a lesser role, which is what Hoiberg said. In that talk he knew that he was coming off the bench. He didn't learn that through the media.

Still, again, that's a non-issue when it comes to evaluating what went wrong with this team. A professional like Noah could (and really, did) brush that off as a rookie-coach mistake.

Seriously man, everything is overblown when you disagree with it

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Mar 30, 2016 -> 03:18 PM)

no offense.... if you look at opinions thru the ages, let alone within sports and the chi bulls, all msg are overblown, to the other person. it is all based on a perspective of that person and what that person wants to put out there..... good theater.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 30, 2016 -> 10:25 AM)
Seriously man, everything is overblown when you disagree with it

I don't think that's true. I'm responding to a statement that the Noah benching (not the way it was done) was the WORST mistake Hoiberg has made this season. Of all the things that happened this year, the Noah benching was the first, but also one of the least important.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Mar 30, 2016 -> 10:37 AM)
I don't think that's true. I'm responding to a statement that the Noah benching (not the way it was done) was the WORST mistake Hoiberg has made this season. Of all the things that happened this year, the Noah benching was the first, but also one of the least important.

It started a cascade, it is up there with a bunch of tremendously bad decisions. Like it or not Noah has been viewed as a leader on this team for years, and Hoiberg cut his nuts off in front of the team, and all season there has been zero leadership visible. But hey, Niko started. Awesome move Fred, lost team unity and leadership in favor of starting a guy who clearly was not ready

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 30, 2016 -> 03:41 PM)
It started a cascade, it is up there with a bunch of tremendously bad decisions. Like it or not Noah has been viewed as a leader on this team for years, and Hoiberg cut his nuts off in front of the team, and all season there has been zero leadership visible. But hey, Niko started. Awesome move Fred, lost team unity and leadership in favor of starting a guy who clearly was not ready

excellent post.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 30, 2016 -> 10:41 AM)

They were like 12 games over .500 when Noah hurt his shoulder in mid-Jan, beating a slew of championship contenders in the process. They kept losing to s***ty teams, otherwise that record would have been even better. Even with Noah's injury, the eventual downfall to what we have now wasn't even on the radar.

That move may have started the tenure of Hoiberg off on a weird way, but it didn't affect the Bulls play. Injuries, lack of desire, crappy defense (and offense), shoddy rotations, etc. did them in.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Mar 30, 2016 -> 04:53 PM)
They were like 12 games over .500 when Noah hurt his shoulder in mid-Jan, beating a slew of championship contenders in the process. They kept losing to s***ty teams, otherwise that record would have been even better. Even with Noah's injury, the eventual downfall to what we have now wasn't even on the radar.

That move may have started the tenure of Hoiberg off on a weird way, but it didn't affect the Bulls play. Injuries, lack of desire, crappy defense (and offense), shoddy rotations, etc. did them in.

i really do not totally agree.... we are talking about pro coaches and they should have been able to over come the obstacles you mention. a great coach would have,

a inexperience or lousy coach would not have been able too. hence the cliche of "being over his head not able to recognize and overcome the obvious."

well the players knows this as well and they will judge the coach as everyone else would.

the FO did not help, esp in getting a better asst coaches who can help.

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 30, 2016 -> 10:59 AM)
i really do not totally agree.... we are talking about pro coaches and they should have been able to over come the obstacles you mention. a great coach would have,

a inexperience or lousy coach would not have been able too. hence the cliche of "being over his head not able to recognize and overcome the obvious."

well the players knows this as well and they will judge the coach as everyone else would.

the FO did not help, esp in getting a better asst coaches who can help.

I'm not suggesting the FO or Hoiberg are without fault here. I just think it's too early to call Hoiberg a bust. He was given a bad roster, he was given a roster ready to implode on itself (Gasol sulking, Butler/Rose not being able to play together given Butler's rise to fame, Noah accepting he's terrible on offense and not the player he was 2-3 seasons prior, etc), and he had to deal with a lot of injuries. Not a recipe for success, even for a good coach.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 29, 2016 -> 11:52 AM)
If I were the Bulls front office I would play on the fact that the Lakers are getting kind of desperate to get some names on the floor and that Derrick likes being in LA. Maybe steal Russell from them since Scott seems dead set on gluing him to the bench

Still wanting to do this? Is Rose now too much considering what went down?

Russell is still just 19 right? I would chalk it up to boys will be boys and hope he learns from it.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Mar 30, 2016 -> 05:03 PM)
I'm not suggesting the FO or Hoiberg are without fault here. I just think it's too early to call Hoiberg a bust. He was given a bad roster, he was given a roster ready to implode on itself (Gasol sulking, Butler/Rose not being able to play together given Butler's rise to fame, Noah accepting he's terrible on offense and not the player he was 2-3 seasons prior, etc), and he had to deal with a lot of injuries. Not a recipe for success, even for a good coach.

pls don't take what i am or have been suggesting as in indictment on Fred H or whether he will be a good coach in the nba.

what i am saying or hinting at is, the bulls FO did no favors for him. he may not have been ready to assume the mantles of an nba coach, a properly prepared candidate.

yeah Fred H is doing rookies mistakes, but this team did not need that kind of a coach. maybe blowing up the team except for the younger impressionable players and build around this core. with frad h at the helm. let the team learn together.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Mar 30, 2016 -> 11:05 AM)

Russell is still just 19 right? I would chalk it up to boys will be boys and hope he learns from it.

I seriously couldn't care less what the Lakers think about him, they have f***ed with him all season long. Who gives a s*** that a guy who nicknames himself swaggy p is upset, that team is a dumpster fire

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 30, 2016 -> 10:11 AM)
I seriously couldn't care less what the Lakers think about him, they have f***ed with him all season long. Who gives a s*** that a guy who nicknames himself swaggy p is upset, that team is a dumpster fire

Yeah, Rose for Russell seems to be a no brainer for the Bulls as far as I'm concerned.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Mar 30, 2016 -> 11:05 AM)

Rose and Russell are no where near each other in terms of salary. The Lakers would have to figure out a way to package up enough salary to make it work. The one salary that makes Rose and Russell work together in a deal is Roy Hibbert. Other than that it gets difficult because besides Kobe, the Lakers have no one else making over $7 million a year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 30, 2016 -> 11:54 AM)
Rose and Russell are no where near each other in terms of salary. The Lakers would have to figure out a way to package up enough salary to make it work. The one salary that makes Rose and Russell work together in a deal is Roy Hibbert. Other than that it gets difficult because besides Kobe, the Lakers have no one else making over $7 million a year.

It doesn't matter if the Lakers have the cap space. The cap is going up almost Rose's salary. Kobe is coming off their books. I would imagine LA will have a lot of space this summer. I have read estimates of between $55 million on the low end and $75 million on the high end.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 30, 2016 -> 05:14 PM)
It doesn't matter if the Lakers have the cap space. The cap is going up almost Rose's salary. Kobe is coming off their books. I would imagine LA will have a lot of space this summer.

you know i would really love to have the draft pick of the 2016 both the 1 and 2 round, if it is not #1 overall pick.

rose plus a spare player.