2015-2016 NBA Thread

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 14, 2016 -> 11:51 AM)
Or just watch basketball. The dude's a genius and innovator when it comes to defense, but his offensive philosophy/abilities were garbage. And frankly his substitution/roster management wasn't very good either. I don't know how many times he'd put in Hinrich over Moore in the 4th as the lead was slipping away. He was too loyal and/or afraid of change.

I think the guy's a really good NBA coach. Maybe top 10-15. But with this roster and franchise, it just wasn't working anymore. I still have zero problem with the decision. It was the execution that deserves criticism.

Yeah, while Hoiberg isn't proving to be a good hire, there was zero way to go into this season with Thibs as this teams coach. That bridge was burned in a manner that would make ISIS step back and go DAYUM!

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 14, 2016 -> 04:51 PM)
Or just watch basketball. The dude's a genius and innovator when it comes to defense, but his offensive philosophy/abilities were garbage. And frankly his substitution/roster management wasn't very good either. I don't know how many times he'd put in Hinrich over Moore in the 4th as the lead was slipping away. He was too loyal and/or afraid of change.

I think the guy's a really good NBA coach. Maybe top 10-15. But with this roster and franchise, it just wasn't working anymore. I still have zero problem with the decision. It was the execution that deserves criticism.

didn't thib's have a really good asst who was the offensive coach, while he dealt with the defense??

i may be wrong on this.

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 14, 2016 -> 12:06 PM)
didn't thib's have a really good asst who was the offensive coach, while he dealt with the defense??

i may be wrong on this.

Yes, Ron Adams. He is now Steve Kerrs assistant

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 14, 2016 -> 05:06 PM)
Yeah, while Hoiberg isn't proving to be a good hire, there was zero way to go into this season with Thibs as this teams coach. That bridge was burned in a manner that would make ISIS step back and go DAYUM!

this is me..... but i know, hoiberg can not hold water for thibs in a comparison, but i still think it is too early to grade him .

also remember i never did like how the FO screwed thibs.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Mar 14, 2016 -> 12:12 PM)
Jerry simply made the wrong move. Thibs was doing his job the FO was not.

Thibs blew it by having his dirty laundry aired in public. That never ends well. He was never going to return as Bulls coach after that.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 14, 2016 -> 12:06 PM)

My sentiment exactly. Hoiberg was not a good hire, but firing Thibs was imperative.

My concern is inaction by the Bulls ownership. The fact is, Hoiberg should be Gar Forman's last hire, and it is definitely not working. If I'm Reinsdorf, I full Virginia McCaskey this thing. Everybody should go from Pax down.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 14, 2016 -> 12:14 PM)
Thibs blew it by having his dirty laundry aired in public. That never ends well. He was never going to return as Bulls coach after that.

He didn't go about things the right way either but I felt the FO drew first blood on Thibs.

and let me be clear, I don't condone eye for and eye s***.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Mar 14, 2016 -> 11:38 AM)
If he were the coach you thought he was, he wouldn't be unemployed this year. If he were that good of a coach, the Kings would have already made a move.

"Execs" actions speak louder than their words. No top 5 coach would remain unemployed for an entire season. The fact is, they're scared of his awful minute management. Turn off ESPN for a while and use your brain.

Phil Jackson won 3 consecutive titles with the Bulls and 6 out of 8 before he sat out a season. I guess he wasn't a top 5 coach.

Take your own advise.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 14, 2016 -> 12:14 PM)

What do you mean by this? Forman was the one undermining him very publicly. Since Thibs left he has not said a word, while Forman very aggressively pushed the "Players all thrilled Thibs gone" stories.

Yeah, the JVG stuff, but it always felt reactive starting with the Ron Adams stuff.

Pretty sure the Bulls record this year will prove to everyone that he is a top 5 coach.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 14, 2016 -> 01:24 PM)
What do you mean by this? Forman was the one undermining him very publicly. Since Thibs left he has not said a word, while Forman very aggressively pushed the "Players all thrilled Thibs gone" stories.

Yeah, the JVG stuff, but it always felt reactive starting with the Ron Adams stuff.

Pretty sure the Bulls record this year will prove to everyone that he is a top 5 coach.

I'm not sure I feel the same way about Thibs, but I completely agree that the Bulls media under Forman has been appalling and has made the whole situation a lot worse. I would also agree that the Adams firing was first blood, but I get the feeling the animosity privately had gone back some time.

it all went into the crapper when Rose first got hurt, and this is not hang the whole blame on rose. this is the truth and all the incidentals that goes with it. the frustration, from both sides of management, the FO vs the coaching staff.

bottom line, the FO did not do its job. by getting a player who can fill in when rose was hurt. forcing the coach to get creative, and he did.

ref to airing the dirty laundry, that is FO and Gar, if i remember correctly. granted when thibs was asked about not getting a player that he needed, he told the reporters to talk to the bosses.

still, what else was he suppose to say???? btw, the rumor of Hoiberg coming to chi started several yrs earlier..... by whom???

it is all frustration and finger pointing. Thibs is a great coach, they should have blew up the team 3 or 4 yrs ago, before Noah got hurt. as long as rose contract is hanging around their neck, they were doomed.

QUOTE (buhbuhburrrrlz @ Mar 14, 2016 -> 10:12 PM)
nice win for the Hoiberg era (no DROSE, Gasol, or Dunleavy)

tho they almost blew it at the end lol

So many times down the stretch it was in Nikos hands. So many times bad things happened

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Mar 14, 2016 -> 11:18 AM)
He didn't go about things the right way either but I felt the FO drew first blood on Thibs.

and let me be clear, I don't condone eye for and eye s***.

They did. And I like how AustinIllini dodged the question of why the Bulls are a whole lot worse than last year with Thibs. And how the minutes haven't changed under Hoiberg, the injuries are as bad if not worse and the only thing that has changed is the team is worse on offense, defense, point differential and wins. How'd they go from the only threat to Cleveland to not knowing if they'll make the playoffs. He tried to implement the Spurs offense and the players couldn't pick it up or wouldn't pick it up. Same with Hoiball. Thibs became a victim of his own success. He constantly overachieved.

Here's some analysis from FiveThirty8 for ya'll.

Of course, there have been grumblings about Chicago’s playoff performance under Thibodeau after the team failed to advance past the second round of the postseason for the fourth straight season. But just as we looked at the Atlanta Hawks’ 2015 playoff run relative to expectations Wednesday, we can judge the Bulls’ dynasty points accrued relative to what would be expected from their preseason projections.

And Thibodeau’s Bulls teams have, on balance, gone further in the playoffs than they were projected to. During his tenure as Chicago’s coach, the Bulls have accumulated 625 dynasty points — 13.1 points more than would have been expected from the talent levels of his teams. (In 2015 alone, he racked up 40 more dynasty points than expected.)

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/the-bul...in-nba-history/

There's a reason why Golden State and San Antonio are asking him for consultations. Also, the Nets tried to offer him the job after Lionel and King were fired, but he didn't want to make a decision right now and he wants to coach either the Knicks, Lakers or wait until a better opening is available. Let us not forget how the Bulls dicked around with his firing too. Waiting waiting and more waiting.

And whether Thibs was right or wrong about leaking stuff to JVG messed up his relationship with Jerry. It's funny how GarPax are always about not leaking stuff yet they let Butler and Noah run rampant. And they always leak stuff to the media about how Derrick is cleared to play when he wasn't mentally ready, how they say he's out for general soreness or how Deng is cleared to play, but it's up to his pain threshold when the guy had a broken foot.

The basis of Thibs getting fired and that relationship turning sour was all Gar Forman. The guy was pissed because he wasn't getting enough credit for 2010 (how anyone can complain about not getting enough credit when you got backdoor swept in the ECF is anyone's guess) and after that, Gar started trying to consolidate power. The whole Ron Adams thing was a power play that Gar won. Funny how Adams is coaching for the defending champs, is a basketball lifer, and never had any issues with anyone in basketball but Gar. He was named Assistant Coach of the Year last year. And Boston sang his praises when hiring him. Also, Adams was the coach that Rose trusted the most.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2013/10/...?event=event12#

That's when the leaking really started about how Thibs is stubborn, didn't want to change, didn't want to adjust the offense and he was the reason for losing as if the roster makeup and the constant bs injuries his and now Hoiberg's team is dealing with. Thibs tried different things. Getting the offense to run through Noah and getting Taj to shoot the corner 3(yes, and this was in Zach Lowe's podcast with him too).

And last, but not least, was the undermining of him by installing Jen Swanson, making it the worst known secret that Hoiberg would be the next coach of the Bulls a full summer before Thibs was let go and by putting unrealistic expectations on Thibs. Tell me how Jen Swanson is doing now. Tell me how Hoiberg is managing the minutes soooo much better than Thibs and is preventing injuries and keeping guys fresh.

Thibs will never be an employee of the Chicago Bulls because Jerry Reinsdorf who originally hired Thibs when GarPax wanted Mike Brown, Lawrence Frank and Doug Collins, saw things Gar's way as he muddied the waters and made Jerry see things his way. He's the ultimate suck up.

PS, wanna know why the Bulls don't make trades? It's because of Gar Forman's smug ass. And if Paul Shirley never took down his post on Gar Forman, you'd see how much of a jagoff the guy is.

Edited by nitetrain8601

It was reported over the weekend that in a surprising development, the Bulls had 'cut ties' with Thibodeau's lead Assistant Coach Ron Adams. In that original story, KC Johnson remarked on the peculiarity of the move: given Adams credentials and reputation, as well as the coach's personal relationship with Thibs (and according to Ric Bucher, Adams was also really close with Derrick Rose). Johnson further reported this was a power-play from GM Gar Forman.

http://www.celticsblog.com/2013/7/15/45268...eltics-coaching

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 01:20 AM)
They did. And I like how AustinIllini dodged the question of why the Bulls are a whole lot worse than last year with Thibs. And how the minutes haven't changed under Hoiberg, the injuries are as bad if not worse and the only thing that has changed is the team is worse on offense, defense, point differential and wins. How'd they go from the only threat to Cleveland to not knowing if they'll make the playoffs. He tried to implement the Spurs offense and the players couldn't pick it up or wouldn't pick it up. Same with Hoiball. Thibs became a victim of his own success. He constantly overachieved.

Here's some analysis from FiveThirty8 for ya'll.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/the-bul...in-nba-history/

There's a reason why Golden State and San Antonio are asking him for consultations. Also, the Nets tried to offer him the job after Lionel and King were fired, but he didn't want to make a decision right now and he wants to coach either the Knicks, Lakers or wait until a better opening is available. Let us not forget how the Bulls dicked around with his firing too. Waiting waiting and more waiting.

And whether Thibs was right or wrong about leaking stuff to JVG messed up his relationship with Jerry. It's funny how GarPax are always about not leaking stuff yet they let Butler and Noah run rampant. And they always leak stuff to the media about how Derrick is cleared to play when he wasn't mentally ready, how they say he's out for general soreness or how Deng is cleared to play, but it's up to his pain threshold when the guy had a broken foot.

The basis of Thibs getting fired and that relationship turning sour was all Gar Forman. The guy was pissed because he wasn't getting enough credit for 2010 (how anyone can complain about not getting enough credit when you got backdoor swept in the ECF is anyone's guess) and after that, Gar started trying to consolidate power. The whole Ron Adams thing was a power play that Gar won. Funny how Adams is coaching for the defending champs, is a basketball lifer, and never had any issues with anyone in basketball but Gar. He was named Assistant Coach of the Year last year. And Boston sang his praises when hiring him. Also, Adams was the coach that Rose trusted the most.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2013/10/...?event=event12#

That's when the leaking really started about how Thibs is stubborn, didn't want to change, didn't want to adjust the offense and he was the reason for losing as if the roster makeup and the constant bs injuries his and now Hoiberg's team is dealing with. Thibs tried different things. Getting the offense to run through Noah and getting Taj to shoot the corner 3(yes, and this was in Zach Lowe's podcast with him too).

And last, but not least, was the undermining of him by installing Jen Swanson, making it the worst known secret that Hoiberg would be the next coach of the Bulls a full summer before Thibs was let go and by putting unrealistic expectations on Thibs. Tell me how Jen Swanson is doing now. Tell me how Hoiberg is managing the minutes soooo much better than Thibs and is preventing injuries and keeping guys fresh.

Thibs will never be an employee of the Chicago Bulls because Jerry Reinsdorf who originally hired Thibs when GarPax wanted Mike Brown, Lawrence Frank and Doug Collins, saw things Gar's way as he muddied the waters and made Jerry see things his way. He's the ultimate suck up.

PS, wanna know why the Bulls don't make trades? It's because of Gar Forman's smug ass. And if Paul Shirley never took down his post on Gar Forman, you'd see how much of a jagoff the guy is.

I'll +1 this.

Still like Paxson. He wasn't gun shy at making trades.

Just wish that the damn JVG debacle hadn't happened.