2015-2016 NBA Thread

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 11:08 AM)
McDermott sucked and then got hurt. Now you are saying Thibs won too many games? Were they trying to win a championship or not?

For a guy who tells everyone how wrong they are, reading your fiction time and time again is beyond hysterical.

Blaming injuries on Thibs is a joke. They were hurt before he came, they keep getting hurt after he left. You think Gar has to go, but you fell for his Thibs narrative hook, line and sinker. There would have been no reason to fire Thibs if the Bulls did the correct thing and launched Gar instead. The team would be better off.

Well stated. And even Deng admitted that they were an injury prone bunch before this came.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 02:45 PM)
and i would like to reiterate most of the opinion on here, even tho it was express in different way, the bulls were still competitive, and as you said, with their main superstar being hurt.

the person responsible for that, it was not the FO, it was thibs and how he manage to bring the whole team together.

~~~ edit

Yep, and it really went awry once the Bulls FO basically told the players they could act insubordinate and to answer to Jen Swanson when it came to minutes and not Thibs. The FO basically told the players its OK to undermine him because he wouldn't be there past the year anyway. What they didn't account for is that you can't tell players its OK to undermine a coach, then immediately respect the next one.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 02:00 PM)
here's the thing on the bolded - I'm genuinely not sure that's true. I look at a team like the 2013-2014 Bulls, with Deng still around, Noah at DPOY level, quality depth, Butler starting to develop into an all around threat, and I can't figure out how you could give Thibs a more perfect roster than that one...with the exception of the all star PG who is missing. About the same thing in 2012-2013 although Hamilton/Butler there is maybe a bit weaker. Those teams were built perfectly for Thibs, with the exception of Rose's injury.

The Timberwolves could become incredible under Thibs. Legit finals contenders in two years IMO.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 04:26 PM)
The Timberwolves could become incredible under Thibs. Legit finals contenders in two years IMO.

I think there are a lot of teams that can be scary under Thibs. Orlando, Minny, Sacramento has some building blocks, and I think Philly would be crazy good under him. Thibs is definitely a top 5 coach. Only guys ahead are Popovich, Carlisle and Stevens IMO

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 06:08 PM)
McDermott sucked and then got hurt. Now you are saying Thibs won too many games? Were they trying to win a championship or not?

For a guy who tells everyone how wrong they are, reading your fiction time and time again is beyond hysterical.

Blaming injuries on Thibs is a joke. They were hurt before he came, they keep getting hurt after he left. You think Gar has to go, but you fell for his Thibs narrative hook, line and sinker. There would have been no reason to fire Thibs if the Bulls did the correct thing and launched Gar instead. The team would be better off.

question on mcdermott, has he developed as hope or was this a bad trade that the bulls FO made???

follow up, if this was a bad trade, whom could the have drafted with the 2 picks that they gave up that would be helping now???

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 07:20 PM)
question on mcdermott, has he developed as hope or was this a bad trade that the bulls FO made???

follow up, if this was a bad trade, whom could the have drafted with the 2 picks that they gave up that would be helping now???

Zach LaVine or TJ Warren if they made the trade, but drafted someone else.

Jusuf Nurkic

Rodney Hood

Nikola Jokic

KJ McDaniels

Jordan Clarkson

Last 3 were available in the 2nd round.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 04:09 AM)
Zach LaVine or TJ Warren if they made the trade, but drafted someone else.

Jusuf Nurkic

Rodney Hood

Nikola Jokic

KJ McDaniels

Jordan Clarkson

Last 3 were available in the 2nd round.

thanks.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 05:24 PM)
Yep, and it really went awry once the Bulls FO basically told the players they could act insubordinate and to answer to Jen Swanson when it came to minutes and not Thibs. The FO basically told the players its OK to undermine him because he wouldn't be there past the year anyway. What they didn't account for is that you can't tell players its OK to undermine a coach, then immediately respect the next one.

I 100% agreed on the minutes move by the front office. Those are your assets. I'm sure they told Thibs repeatedly to stop, and he didn't, so they had to move. Who remembers Noah playing like 45 minutes in a meaningless, final regular season game? It was that s*** that drove the FO crazy and something Thibs never EVER bent on. That whole situation was a two way street and few people acknowledge Thibs' role in it.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 05:41 PM)
I think there are a lot of teams that can be scary under Thibs. Orlando, Minny, Sacramento has some building blocks, and I think Philly would be crazy good under him. Thibs is definitely a top 5 coach. Only guys ahead are Popovich, Carlisle and Stevens IMO

Rick Carlisle and Brad Stevens?

Are you serious?

Brad Stevens may not be a top 5 coach but nobody can dispute the job he is doing in Boston. They're the #3 seed, yes in the East, with a roster where most fans probably can't name their starting 5. Jae Crowder has developed into a really good NBA player.

Don't just look past him.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 10:01 AM)
Brad Stevens may not be a top 5 coach but nobody can dispute the job he is doing in Boston. They're the #3 seed, yes in the East, with a roster where most fans probably can't name their starting 5. Jae Crowder has developed into a really good NBA player.

Don't just look past him.

He gets good reviews from veteran players too. I would put Stevens in my top 5.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 10:00 AM)
Losing 3/5th's of your starting line-up (plus your 6th man) is more difficult than 1/5th, IMO.

1/5? Come on man, Noah was on one leg, Taj was out for long periods of time for his ankle, Dunleavy was out for like 3 months, Butler hyperextended his elbow and missed more than a month

Your argument is tired, bad, and wrong

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 10:09 AM)
1/5? Come on man, Noah was on one leg, Taj was out for long periods of time for his ankle, Dunleavy was out for like 3 months, Butler hyperextended his elbow and missed more than a month

Your argument is tired, bad, and wrong

And this year you've had no Noah, Dunleavy out for months, Butler out for an extended period (and now with residual issues potentially), Gasol, Rose and Taj out here and there, Niko out a month. They're relying on guys like Moore and Holiday. How many times has Hoiberg had the expected starting 5 going into the season? A handful?

Thibs got wins because he ground it out. Fine, i'm not arguing that. But was that team any better? No. Did he do some amazing coaching job? No. Did he deserve to be fired? Yes.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 10:30 AM)
And this year you've had no Noah, Dunleavy out for months, Butler out for an extended period (and now with residual issues potentially), Gasol, Rose and Taj out here and there, Niko out a month. They're relying on guys like Moore and Holiday. How many times has Hoiberg had the expected starting 5 going into the season? A handful?

Thibs got wins because he ground it out. Fine, i'm not arguing that. But was that team any better? No. Did he do some amazing coaching job? No. Did he deserve to be fired? Yes.

The Bulls have had injuries before, but this year has been the worst for them.

Here are the games played for the starting 5 plus Taj

Gibson 62 Games

Rose 51 Games

Dunleavy 63 Games

BUtler 65 Games

Noah 67 Games

Gasol 78 Games

So outside of Gasol, the starting 5 averaged about 20 games missed, not a game here and there, plus the guy who was supposed to be the new scoring threat in McDermott missing pretty much the entire year with a bad knee. Thibs had such great reserves as Nazr, Moore, and Snell to put in there with a few awesome starts from the Australian when Noah and Taj went down at the same time.

Did Thibs have the same injury issues? Yes. Did he get forced out for a lesser coach who would do what the FO told him? Yes. Have the minutes changed at all since Hoiberg took over? No.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 10:37 AM)
The Bulls have had injuries before, but this year has been the worst for them.

No, when Joakim Noah is the focus point of your entire offense and Nate Robinson is your scoring threat, that is the worst of it.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 10:41 AM)
Here are the games played for the starting 5 plus Taj

Gibson 62 Games

Rose 51 Games

Dunleavy 63 Games

BUtler 65 Games

Noah 67 Games

Gasol 78 Games

So outside of Gasol, the starting 5 averaged about 20 games missed, not a game here and there, plus the guy who was supposed to be the new scoring threat in McDermott missing pretty much the entire year with a bad knee. Thibs had such great reserves as Nazr, Moore, and Snell to put in there with a few awesome starts from the Australian when Noah and Taj went down at the same time.

Did Thibs have the same injury issues? Yes. Did he get forced out for a lesser coach who would do what the FO told him? Yes. Have the minutes changed at all since Hoiberg took over? No.

Noah has missed 36 games, and counting. It will be nearly 50 by the time the season is done.

Dunleavy has missed 50 games.

Mirotic missed 15 games, after missing none the year before.

Rose is about the only guy that has actually been healthier than normal. There have been times this year where they were running one or two starters out there, while missing 4 or 5 key guys. Thibs never had it that bad all at once.

It isn't the whole story, but it has been a large part of the story.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 03:00 PM)
Losing 3/5th's of your starting line-up (plus your 6th man) is more difficult than 1/5th, IMO.

and it is hard when your key players, whom you are counting on gets hurt,..\

i can see how the FO can suspect it was thibs way of coaching that lead or pave the way for players getting hurt. but not now.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 09:39 AM)
I 100% agreed on the minutes move by the front office. Those are your assets. I'm sure they told Thibs repeatedly to stop, and he didn't, so they had to move. Who remembers Noah playing like 45 minutes in a meaningless, final regular season game? It was that s*** that drove the FO crazy and something Thibs never EVER bent on. That whole situation was a two way street and few people acknowledge Thibs' role in it.

What about Butler and Gasol playing 50 minutes in a meaningless triple OT regular season game?? Oh, that didn't happen under Thibs.

And how is that different than the team having to sign DJ Augustin or playing Marquis Teage at PG? Or signing Nate Robinson off the scrapheap.

Anything you think Hoiberg has dealt with, Thibs already went through and proved he was a lot better at dealing with it. Again, I suggest reading the 538 article I posted a page or two earlier. Thibs constantly overachieved with his teams.