2015-2016 NBA Thread

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (buhbuhburrrrlz @ Dec 20, 2015 -> 05:12 PM)
Not sure how those mistakes are being made at this level. Bulls had the ball with the game tied against Detroit. Rather than call Timeout and advance the ball to the front court, they threw it into Tony Snell for an 88 footer.

Hoiberg has been disappointing to say the least.

A 12 year old with a playstation knows to call the time out.

So I never give KC much credit, but this was an excellent, must read article on Butler calling out Thibs. A lot of facttoids in their I wasn't aware of. Early in Fred's coaching career, this is a pinnacle moment for how he'll rebound and how the Bulls are going to handle this. I see merit to what Butler is saying but their are other issues in their as well. Maybe part of what Jimmy was saying is he's testing Fred and he needs to push back, show he's in command. I get a feeling we are going to see some moves to free up time for Portis and maybe change this team. We'll see if Pax / Gar have it in them but it will be interesting what they will do.

Safest path is no change, however, they've taken that route a lot and they need to analyze what makes sense. Will be extremely interesting how they respond to this.

PS: I love Jo. Really would crush me to see him play anywhere else.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/colum...220-column.html

For those that don't have tribune coverage (like me), as always, drop that link into google search and than click and you can read for free.

On the positive side, Rose is starting to play better.

If I were going to look at this season thus far:

Biggest positive is general health + Jo's resurgence & Dougie's emergence

Biggest negative is probably Rose's play...although I might actually put Niko as a bigger negative. Dude has been horrific (and from a value perspective, entering the season, he was our most attractive trade asset outside of Jimmy).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 12:49 PM)
On the positive side, Rose is starting to play better.

If I were going to look at this season thus far:

Biggest positive is general health + Jo's resurgence & Dougie's emergence

Biggest negative is probably Rose's play...although I might actually put Niko as a bigger negative. Dude has been horrific (and from a value perspective, entering the season, he was our most attractive trade asset outside of Jimmy).

Agree on both. Honestly Niko sucking is #1 negative for me, Jo's resurgence positive #1. The defense has been pretty good.

This offense though is still iso hell.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 02:18 PM)
For you, everything is the most overblown thing ever

Fair, but in this case i'm right. What's the big deal? Because he criticized the coach? So what? He's the star of the team. He's earned that right. All the stars do it. And it's not as if he said "Hoiberg sucks, management failed us." He's asking for some accountability on a team that loses to bad teams and looks lethargic 60% of the time.

On a related note:

Zach Lowe ‏@ZachLowe_NBA 4m4 minutes ago

Another shakeup may be coming in Chicago. Hearing Bulls are thinking about starting Mirotic at SF over Snell tonight.

I don't get this at all. Niko's too slow to play the 3. If anything McDermott should be starting in Snell's spot. I don't get what Hoiberg is going for here. My line-up would be Rose-Butler-McDermott-Niko-Noah. Let Pau/Taj/Portis feast on 2nd units. As the game progresses, swap Noah/Gasol depending on whether you need offense or defense.

I don't get it. All I know is, I want more Portis and less Niko. Snell has stunk, but at least he can play defense and has hit threes (he just dissapears for long stretches) but Niko has been brutal and can't defend the 3. Good lord...maybe the plan is just hope we get lucky and one of these switches works. I'd rather freaking see Portis at the 3, lol.

I presume it would be Doug, but Doug is hurt (knee injury).

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 01:25 PM)
Fair, but in this case i'm right. What's the big deal? Because he criticized the coach? So what? He's the star of the team. He's earned that right. All the stars do it. And it's not as if he said "Hoiberg sucks, management failed us." He's asking for some accountability on a team that loses to bad teams and looks lethargic 60% of the time.

On a related note:

I don't get this at all. Niko's too slow to play the 3. If anything McDermott should be starting in Snell's spot. I don't get what Hoiberg is going for here. My line-up would be Rose-Butler-McDermott-Niko-Noah. Let Pau/Taj/Portis feast on 2nd units. As the game progresses, swap Noah/Gasol depending on whether you need offense or defense.

I think Gasol is going to get dealt.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 02:14 PM)
Going to play in Memphis with his brother may hold some appeal.

Yep. Plus, I just want to see your reaction to Zbo on the Bulls, haha. On a sidenote, what is the Bulls benefit for this swap? Are we getting another asset? I'd think straight up Pau is the better player (and both are old). Is it purely because Zbo is around for longer (thus extending the window)? I'd have thought if we move Pau it would be to get a younger wing player (or draft picks).

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 04:35 PM)
Moving Pau without getting wing help doesn't make sense to me. It's at best a wash.

I agree, but I think it also clears the log jam and allows Noah to be the #1 option at center, with Taj, Niko and Portis rotating in at 4/5 where needed.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 04:42 PM)
I agree, but I think it also clears the log jam and allows Noah to be the #1 option at center, with Taj, Niko and Portis rotating in at 4/5 where needed.

How does it clear a logjam when you are talking about a return of Zbo?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 02:43 PM)
And i'm not sure a wing is necessary if McDermott is the future. I'd rather get a better PG than a wing.

Personally, I don't think Doug is a starter on a championship caliber team. He is too awful defensively. Plus you are swapping bigs so I'm not sure how it clears a log jam.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 04:45 PM)
How does it clear a logjam when you are talking about a return of Zbo?

Because I think with Pau you're stuck with the only good lineup being him with Taj. He and Noah are terrible together and he and Niko are really bad defensively and offensively if Niko is worthless with his shot, which is been a frequent problem. Zbo, IMO, is more interchangeable, like Taj. Noah is your true 5, can play 30-35 minutes, and then you play Zbo/Niko at the 4, and Taj at the 5 or 4 where necessary. That gives you the point-center/defensive/energy big (Noah), the stretch 4 (theoretically, in Niko), and then 3 guys that can bang and get rebounds or hit 15 foot jumpshots. Though Portis is more the energy/clean-up guy at this point, but still, interchangeable.

I mean it's not some amazing, problem-solving move. But the Bulls have too many bigs and the combos don't work IMO.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 02:57 PM)
Because I think with Pau you're stuck with the only good lineup being him with Taj. He and Noah are terrible together and he and Niko are really bad defensively and offensively if Niko is worthless with his shot, which is been a frequent problem. Zbo, IMO, is more interchangeable, like Taj. Noah is your true 5, can play 30-35 minutes, and then you play Zbo/Niko at the 4, and Taj at the 5 or 4 where necessary. That gives you the point-center/defensive/energy big (Noah), the stretch 4 (theoretically, in Niko), and then 3 guys that can bang and get rebounds or hit 15 foot jumpshots. Though Portis is more the energy/clean-up guy at this point, but still, interchangeable.

I mean it's not some amazing, problem-solving move. But the Bulls have too many bigs and the combos don't work IMO.

Okay...so it isn't really "too many bigs" rather than a guy who fits better with our team needs / skillsets.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 04:58 PM)
Okay...so it isn't really "too many bigs" rather than a guy who fits better with our team needs / skillsets.

Yes.

And i'm not saying that's THE deal to make. I think PG is their biggest problem right now. 2 is all-star quality. 5 is all-star quality. Your 3 and 4's are good enough for a run. It's your 1 that's holding the team back.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 03:00 PM)
Yes.

Personally, only way I move Pau is for something that is better for this team long term. It is an asset we might lose after this year (and the way things are going, we will lose him), so we need to not lose that value. I want a larger deal that nets the Bulls Boogie :)

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 05:01 PM)
Personally, only way I move Pau is for something that is better for this team long term. It is an asset we might lose after this year (and the way things are going, we will lose him), so we need to not lose that value. I want a larger deal that nets the Bulls Boogie :)

Vlade has already said he's off the table, unfortunately.