2015-2016 NBA Thread

QUOTE (Boogua @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 02:51 PM)
Do you think Jimmy Butler could be the best player on a championship team? Hard to imagine.

Well I mean Kawhi Leonard could be the best player on a championship team this season.

Not that I'm saying Butler is at Leonard's level though (Leonard is argubly top 5 now if you consider how good he is defensively).

EDIT: This is why you shouldn't quote things 2 pages earlier, when you read through all the subsequent responses. Oh well......

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zach Lowe is a fantastic writer as well, always has fantastic insight (good to see he's still plugging along after the Grantland collapse).

One point he made was how Gasol's not really a good fit in this offense that Hoiberg wanted to implement, he wants more ball movement, and Gasol wants the ball more in the post.

I could see him get moved to a team like Toronto at the deadline for some future picks, if the Bulls were willing to go down that route.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 10:58 PM)
Zach Lowe is a fantastic writer as well, always has fantastic insight (good to see he's still plugging along after the Grantland collapse).

One point he made was how Gasol's not really a good fit in this offense that Hoiberg wanted to implement, he wants more ball movement, and Gasol wants the ball more in the post.

I could see him get moved to a team like Toronto at the deadline for some future picks, if the Bulls were willing to go down that route.

He has a no trade.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 09:48 PM)
I'm no mathematician, i never mentioned anything about per and I couldn't break it down. All I know is Leonard has been a far better player on a far better team for his career, and when I read about Leonard functioning within the Spurs he gets nothing but high praise.

Butler had a great year last year and has done nothing but improve since he got into the NBA, but Leonard is next level when I watch them play, he knows his role on his team and excels within his team.

But thanks for calling me to the carpet, you can explain per if you would like to.

And that's find. Don't explain PER, but don't just say what everyone else did. "Butler's not as good as Leonard." Four others said it. Why do you have to?

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 05:58 AM)
And that's find. Don't explain PER, but don't just say what everyone else did. "Butler's not as good as Leonard." Four others said it. Why do you have to?

Im sorry, next time I will consult you about what I am allowed to comment about. Anything else across the board that you have a problem with? Im taking notes

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 03:48 PM)
What is the status of Noah? Does he need surgery or is it a week to week thing? I got sad last night wondering whether I saw his last game with the Bulls (as I know sometimes dislocated shoulders can be season ending).

Last i saw was a shoulder sprain and will be evaluated again in 2 weeks.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 10:03 AM)
Wondering if he'd waive that though to move to a contender if the Bulls are around the .500 mark come February.

IMO the best sign he might waive that is that it took him what, 2 weeks of the season to complain about not getting the ball enough?

He's playing for his last contract in the season right before the cap explodes. If someone wants to get him the ball more, he'll go.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 09:16 AM)
IMO the best sign he might waive that is that it took him what, 2 weeks of the season to complain about not getting the ball enough?

He's playing for his last contract in the season right before the cap explodes. If someone wants to get him the ball more, he'll go.

Oh he will waive it. He said after the last game that "My career is winding down and I want to play for a team that wants to win a championship"

The guy has already told media he is opting out after this season, he sees that this is pretty toxic and isnt looking promising.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 09:16 AM)

Possibly, although I think he originally took less money to play with the Bulls because he wanted to play for a contender. I believe he pushed for the no-trade clause because he didn't want to get traded to a non-contender.

You could be right, but I'm not sure how much money means to him at this point in his career.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 09:22 AM)
Possibly, although I think he originally took less money to play with the Bulls because he wanted to play for a contender. I believe he pushed for the no-trade clause because he didn't want to get traded to a non-contender.

You could be right, but I'm not sure how much money means to him at this point in his career.

He left at least $5 million on the table to come to the Bulls. Toronto is 1 game better than the Bulls. I don't see where going there, trying to fit into a new system is going to actually be desirable. Maybe a team with a really legit shot of winning it all, but does anyone really think the Raptors are a Pau Gasol away from an NBA title? I don't even think Pau would buy that.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 07:03 AM)
Wondering if he'd waive that though to move to a contender if the Bulls are around the .500 mark come February.

Anyone thinking this team will hover around .500 is delirious. Unless they blow it up, this team will still be a top 3 seed in the East when all is said and done.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 07:21 AM)
Oh he will waive it. He said after the last game that "My career is winding down and I want to play for a team that wants to win a championship"

The guy has already told media he is opting out after this season, he sees that this is pretty toxic and isnt looking promising.

I actually think he might be part of the problem at this point.

at this point I dont really blame the players for not caring. last year was a front office/coach divorce that was extremely public, and they put in what looks like a puppet figurehead who is starting to look out of his league.

Im not gonna say it cannot get better, but this is a s*** show right now

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 08:16 AM)
at this point I dont really blame the players for not caring. last year was a front office/coach divorce that was extremely public, and they put in what looks like a puppet figurehead who is starting to look out of his league.

Im not gonna say it cannot get better, but this is a s*** show right now

It is absolutely a pivotal moment for the organization.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 10:13 AM)
Anyone thinking this team will hover around .500 is delirious. Unless they blow it up, this team will still be a top 3 seed in the East when all is said and done.

I dont know. Under the Thibs years I would have agreed with you every time but this year is different. It actually feels like it is on the verge of being an absolute full out disaster where they may be under .500.

Not only is it the losses that they are taking but they look totally confused. They all have their own agendas out there on the court. Rose thinks he is someone he is not. Butler actually thinks he is the superstar which he is not. They dont play together. They dont play for each other. They dont buy into the new coach. They arent a happy team. They are all looking to the future when they are not a part of the Bulls other than Jimmy. Hoiberg is in over his head. This is a bad situation that I unfortunately only see it getting worse. This is Trestman 2.0 NBA version.

QUOTE (shipps @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 12:07 PM)
I dont know. Under the Thibs years I would have agreed with you every time but this year is different. It actually feels like it is on the verge of being an absolute full out disaster where they may be under .500.

Not only is it the losses that they are taking but they look totally confused. They all have their own agendas out there on the court. Rose thinks he is someone he is not. Butler actually thinks he is the superstar which he is not. They dont play together. They dont play for each other. They dont buy into the new coach. They arent a happy team. They are all looking to the future when they are not a part of the Bulls other than Jimmy. Hoiberg is in over his head. This is a bad situation that I unfortunately only see it getting worse. This is Trestman 2.0 NBA version.

The other part of this to not ignore though is...with Butler under contract and the young guys the Bulls do have, plus the general weakness in the East that will keep them in the playoffs yearly, they're going to be able to convince themselves that they're only 1 piece away and that they don't need to do a major overhaul. They might not be wrong either, but then they'll just keep trying to acquire that "one last piece" and whiffing on it or having it not be enough. (Which does sound vaguely familiar).

QUOTE (shipps @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 09:07 AM)

I agree that it could turn into that, but I don't really think Hoiberg is Trestman 2.0. That said, time will tell. This team has had its no shows, but it has also beaten some of the best teams in the league. It should have a much better record than it does, but it can't figure out how to play a complete game of basketball. That said, that problem isn't necessarily new to them as they had this issue last year. In many ways, they are the same team as last years team, except offensive efficiency has taken a huge hit, probably largely due to Rose being absolutely horrendous (as well as impacts from transitioning to a new system, which may or may not work).

That said, the east is still awful and they could sleep walk to an above .500 record. A week ago they were the 2 seed in the East (IIRC). They than had a 4 OT game they lost and no shock they lost the 2nd part of the back-to-back after that game (which shouldn't be a shock). The game against the Nets was pathetic but it could also serve as yet another wake-up call.

One thing for certain, someone needs to lock these guys in a room for Christmas and all the other holidays and bust out some kooombaayhaaa's. Winning solves a lot though and this team is capable of putting a streak together and than building off that. I do expect some changes to be made personnel wise though. Getting MJD back at some point would be huge as well.