2015-2016 NBA Thread

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 28, 2016 -> 09:40 AM)
Phil Jackson rode Jordan and Pippen harder than Thibs ever ran anyone. Check out Tim Duncan's minutes early in his career. No need to wait. Gar/Pax rules. The reason the team doesn't win championships is because of the coaches THEY HIRE. That is clearly not their fault.

And before you tell me I don't know how the NBA runs, I do. I know it's not like baseball. Making the playoffs and losing in the first couple of rounds, even if you do it 10 years in a row, isn't so special in the NBA.

Yeah, but Jordan and Pippen were taking steroids.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So did anyone else yesterday see the tweets that D'Angelo Russell could be had because they like Clarkson better as a long term PG option?

Firstly, they're probably kicking themselves they didn't take Porzingis at #2.

Secondly, and this would never happen, the Bulls should dangle Rose, the Lakers want stars, and to get one in free agency they probably need to trade for one first. Interesting to speculate about though I suppose...

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jan 29, 2016 -> 11:17 AM)
So did anyone else yesterday see the tweets that D'Angelo Russell could be had because they like Clarkson better as a long term PG option?

Firstly, they're probably kicking themselves they didn't take Porzingis at #2.

Secondly, and this would never happen, the Bulls should dangle Rose, the Lakers want stars, and to get one in free agency they probably need to trade for one first. Interesting to speculate about though I suppose...

Enter PHF dumbass trade idea.

Lakers get: Rose + Portis + 1st round pick

Bulls get: Russell + Hibbert

Lakers get a potential star, and a couple of young assets.

Bulls get a young potential star, and bigtime salary relief a year early with Hibbert coming off the books, and keep lottery pick.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jan 29, 2016 -> 11:35 AM)

Bulls get a young potential star, and bigtime salary relief a year early with Hibbert coming off the books, and keep lottery pick.

No thanks on Hibbert. Not like this trade would be accepted anyway, but Hibbert struggles in LA, just imagine how he'd struggle on a half-way competent ballclub.

I don't think Russell is the problem in LA, it's the fact that his coach has completely asinine reasons for benching him/it seeming like they're not really sure how to develop him.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Jan 29, 2016 -> 01:22 PM)
No thanks on Hibbert. Not like this trade would be accepted anyway, but Hibbert struggles in LA, just imagine how he'd struggle on a half-way competent ballclub.

I don't think Russell is the problem in LA, it's the fact that his coach has completely asinine reasons for benching him/it seeming like they're not really sure how to develop him.

Hibbert has 15.5M coming off the books after this season. He can either help the club, or go pound sand for the rest of the year.

Expiring contracts aren't really that valuable anymore given the huge jump in the cap that's coming.

Plus there's no shot the Bulls blow this up when there's a small chance of beating the Cavs and getting to the Finals.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 29, 2016 -> 01:39 PM)
Expiring contracts aren't really that valuable anymore given the huge jump in the cap that's coming.

Plus there's no shot the Bulls blow this up when there's a small chance of beating the Cavs and getting to the Finals.

If the Bulls thought they could sign Durant, it would be valuable. Given I don't think they are going that path, than I agree, the benefit of cap space is reduced (given a relatively weak FA class).

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jan 29, 2016 -> 11:35 AM)

Russell needs out of LA while Scott is still coaching. He's stunting his development and has some sort of problem with him. Whoever they drafted would have been in the same spot. I'd love to get him on the Bulls.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 29, 2016 -> 03:39 PM)

There's a 0 percent chance the Bulls are getting to the finals. I agree that they're not blowing anything up but they're not getting to the finals either.

i haven't followed the bulls at all this yr, partly b/c i think that the twin GM screwed this team up, but i may be wrong in my looking at it.

can someone post a somewhat grade card on the team, esp the coach ....

pls.... :pray

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 29, 2016 -> 03:39 PM)

Was there a bus accident I haven't heard about? The Bulls have no shot at beating the Cavs. I can already see the Bulls offseason now: 2 year deal for Gasol at big $$ and a max deal for Harrison Barnes. Championship.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 30, 2016 -> 07:34 AM)
i haven't followed the bulls at all this yr, partly b/c i think that the twin GM screwed this team up, but i may be wrong in my looking at it.

can someone post a somewhat grade card on the team, esp the coach ....

pls.... :pray

Bulls were never in the race for a championship this season and they weren't going to miss the playoffs.

D-

Hoiberg just strikes me as a puppet for GarPax. Doesn't really seem to have any strong opinions, and will do whatever they want.

QUOTE (buhbuhburrrrlz @ Jan 31, 2016 -> 03:15 AM)
Bulls were never in the race for a championship this season and they weren't going to miss the playoffs.

D-

Hoiberg just strikes me as a puppet for GarPax. Doesn't really seem to have any strong opinions, and will do whatever they want.

many thanks. that is what i was looking for..

Despite the loss, at times yesterday, Rose was absolutely filthy. So athletic. He also had a span of a ton of turnovers which turned a close game into the eventual route. Reality is the Bulls are giving a lot of minutes to guys who absolutely can't contribute (especially with Niko out and even he can't contribute).

If you take out the 2 games he left early, Rose has averaged 20.1 ppg on 54.2% TS in his last 13 games. It's certainly his best month scoring-wise since the ACL injury. It seems sustainable, too - it's not like he's been on fire from outside. His turnovers have been ugly but a lot of them have been partly due to him moving much quicker and being more aggressive (which I would hope get cleaned up with time). Very promising as a whole. I'd also argue that he should start to get some more calls (not like normal calls cause Rose has never gotten calls, but this season has been ridiculous on how little calls he gets).

The past two weeks has been the best I've seen Rose look (from a consistency perspective as well) since his injury. He still has tons of flaws to correct, but the other big thing is, his game has passed the eye test. He's had a lot of really terrific finishes around the basket and has even started to use his a variation of his jump stop (not near as aggressive / violent as his pre-injury jump stop, but still a jump stop either way). Some of Rose's finishes last night with Jordan in the vicinity were vintage Rose. The real question is whether his health will continue to be a positive and if it is, I see no reason to think Rose won't continue to get better (and I also see no reason that this is a mirage). Everything I've seen thus far during this stretch is sustainable (excluding injuries) and there are quite a few things that could still be better, imo.

Now clearly Rose still needs to do more when he doens't have the basket and the offense has to figure s*** out cause it looks so ugly at times, but I'm also more and more convinced that has a lot to do with the fact that we have a lot of really s***ty role players too (the days of this being a deep team are over and it is a myth). On any given night we could have 4 or 5 just horrendous players who get significant minutes (Brooks / Snell / McD / Mirotic / Moore are all so inconsistent that they can all be absolute black hole awful...Hinrich probably should fit in this camp but so little is expected of him and he's still such a stable passer / defender).

Prediction: I think the Bulls will hit there best streak of basketball about 3 weeks after Dunleavy is back. I do wonder if they acquire someone like Deng.

One other point on yesterday's game. There must have been 7 or 8 situations in the first three quarters (I didn't bother with the 4th quarter) where the Butler was down in the post with Paul on him and the Bulls would swing by ball to the complete opposite side of the court and take an awful shot (often times with a combination of our bench unit out there). Why the hell isn't Butler given the ball every time in that situation. Pretty simple mismatch and yet they don't use it to there advantage. Everything should play off of Butler in that situation.

Roster is obviously flawed (magnified from injures to MJD / Noah / Niko), but I also don't exhude confidence from what we are doing on the court, in addition to the development struggles from Niko and Snell (they have both regressed significantly). Doug is playing better but dude was hurt and missed a ton of time last season so I don't think it was hard to say he'd get better.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 1, 2016 -> 01:50 PM)
Now clearly Rose still needs to do more when he doens't have the basket and the offense has to figure s*** out cause it looks so ugly at times, but I'm also more and more convinced that has a lot to do with the fact that we have a lot of really s***ty role players too (the days of this being a deep team are over and it is a myth). On any given night we could have 4 or 5 just horrendous players who get significant minutes (Brooks / Snell / McD / Mirotic / Moore are all so inconsistent that they can all be absolute black hole awful...Hinrich probably should fit in this camp but so little is expected of him and he's still such a stable passer / defender).

Your constant defense of Hinrich always cracks me up. Hinrich is awful and has been for a long time. And what makes him a stable passer? His assist rate is ridiculously low. The only reason he doesn't turn the ball over much is because he literally does nothing on offense. You can find plenty of guards that wouldn't turn the ball over if you told them to never dribble or try to create for anyone else.