2015-2016 NBA Thread

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 2, 2016 -> 09:28 AM)
They don't even run his system though. It's all iso's and guys taking turns getting theirs.

So you are telling me players that ran the most strict, structured system for defense and offense under last years coach are suddenly now refusing to run the coaches system, but its not an indictment of the coach.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 2, 2016 -> 09:29 AM)
Blame Jimmy for that.

Didn't Gar/Pax leak that the players didn't want Thibs back, including Jimmy? Now it's Jimmy's fault if they aren't running the system they deemed to be the best fit? That is a big indictment of Hoiberg and the people who hired him and made sure to make the old coach look as bad as possible out the door.

The Bulls are just lost right now. There is some sort of a battle going on in the lockerroom that isn't very clear right now, but what it looks like from my point of view is the Bulls hired the college equal of Marc Trestman, and the lockerroom is divided between guys who are taking advantage, and the guys who want that structure of Thibs back.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 2, 2016 -> 09:40 AM)
Didn't Gar/Pax leak that the players didn't want Thibs back, including Jimmy? Now it's Jimmy's fault if they aren't running the system they deemed to be the best fit? That is a big indictment of Hoiberg and the people who hired him and made sure to make the old coach look as bad as possible out the door.

No argument from me. It's also an idictment on the players on this team as well. Look, there's so many issues on this team and I happen to think Fred is the least of the problems though it seems I'm in the minority on that one. All starts with Gar/Pax for me.

One thing that seems to be much different to me:

-Under Hoiberg, when players have lost confidence, it seems like they are encouraged to go out and try and shoot more and create to get out of the slump. Play more individual.

-Under Thibs, if you lost it, you earned your PT by focusing on the little things, playing d and rebounding and playing within your role, to then get time to shoot out of it.

I think that plays a part of it. There's a "I need to shoot out of my struggles" we see more on this team, like Jimmy doing stepbacks galore yesterday.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 2, 2016 -> 09:40 AM)
The Bulls are just lost right now. There is some sort of a battle going on in the lockerroom that isn't very clear right now, but what it looks like from my point of view is the Bulls hired the college equal of Marc Trestman, and the lockerroom is divided between guys who are taking advantage, and the guys who want that structure of Thibs back.

I haven't been impressed with Hoiberg, but I haven't really seen the Trestman level screw ups either. I think he's a guy that inherited a team with expectations and then immediately got hit with really tough injuries. Not having Dunleavy is a huge missing component to this team. People say he's old, but he's a very smart player, a very good shooter, and a guy that moves without the ball. One of the few on the roster that does that well and that's really what this team is missing.

He's also lost Noah and Rose for some games. Moore and Hinrich here and there. And now Mirotic. That's not easy.

This team is probably a lost cause, but getting the 3 position solidified with Dunleavy is going to help immensely IMO, assuming he's 100%. That's all that really matters at this point. Either they reach their peak at the end of the year heading into the playoffs, or they continue to play .500 ball and bow out early. No sense in getting all worked up over it before the All-Star break.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 2, 2016 -> 09:45 AM)
I haven't been impressed with Hoiberg, but I haven't really seen the Trestman level screw ups either. I think he's a guy that inherited a team with expectations and then immediately got hit with really tough injuries. Not having Dunleavy is a huge missing component to this team. People say he's old, but he's a very smart player, a very good shooter, and a guy that moves without the ball. One of the few on the roster that does that well and that's really what this team is missing.

He's also lost Noah and Rose for some games. Moore and Hinrich here and there. And now Mirotic. That's not easy.

This team is probably a lost cause, but getting the 3 position solidified with Dunleavy is going to help immensely IMO, assuming he's 100%. That's all that really matters at this point. Either they reach their peak at the end of the year heading into the playoffs, or they continue to play .500 ball and bow out early. No sense in getting all worked up over it before the All-Star break.

Yeah, I don't think the Mayor is anywhere near Trestman level. Gar really set his "friend" up for failure.

It is crazy Dunleavy is now suddenly Michael Jeffrey Dunleavy, savior, to many Bulls fans. He's 35 with a bad back.

As for injuries, that is nothing new to this franchise. I mentioned it before, Thibs won games through a ton of injuries, and many wanted to blame the injuries on him. The fact is, the Bulls are loaded with injury prone players.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 2, 2016 -> 09:51 AM)
Yeah, I don't think the Mayor is anywhere near Trestman level. Gar really set his "friend" up for failure.

It is crazy Dunleavy is now suddenly Michael Jeffrey Dunleavy, savior, to many Bulls fans. He's 35 with a bad back.

I will say the Bulls team last year had some really bad runs when Dunleavy was out of lineup, much stronger with him in it.

He is one of the few players who plays within the flow of an offense. He always makes decisions quickly and keeps things moving. Love him as a player.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 2, 2016 -> 09:51 AM)

As for injuries, that is nothing new to this franchise. I mentioned it before, Thibs won games through a ton of injuries, and many wanted to blame the injuries on him. The fact is, the Bulls are loaded with injury prone players.

I think we all just want to see Snell fade away, and Dunleavy provides that opportunity

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 2, 2016 -> 09:54 AM)
I will say the Bulls team last year had some really bad runs when Dunleavy was out of lineup, much stronger with him in it.

He is one of the few players who plays within the flow of an offense. He always makes decisions quickly and keeps things moving. Love him as a player.

Yep, I think he's going to change how the offense runs just by his decision making and movement.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 2, 2016 -> 09:54 AM)

He's a nice player, especially at his price level. I just don't think things are going to change much when he returns.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 2, 2016 -> 10:00 AM)
He's a nice player, especially at his price level. I just don't think things are going to change much when he returns.

They'll be a little bit better but in the big picture he does nothing for them.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 2, 2016 -> 09:45 AM)

I get there has been injuries, but watch 10 seconds of Gasol playing "defense" and you can see the difference between this year and last year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 2, 2016 -> 10:04 AM)
I get there has been injuries, but watch 10 seconds of Gasol playing "defense" and you can see the difference between this year and last year.

Out of everything this is a super weird thing to blame Hoiberg for. Pau has been lost defensively his whole career.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 2, 2016 -> 11:17 AM)
A lot the team defends that way. The effort is way down in too many games.

I just don't agree with this. This team plays hard on defense and has been pretty consistent on that. You are always going to have some poor performances on the defensive end over the course of the season but defense really hasn't been an issue. And while there are some bad defenders on this team (Mirotic, Brooks and McDermott) I don't feel any of those guys lack effort on that end very often.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 2, 2016 -> 10:28 AM)
I don't think Pau's problem is effort. He's a 7 foot, 35 year old player. He was never nimble. his reaction times and agility are just gone. A good coach could try and hide Pau, though.

That's just it. I don't see any coaching. I don't see much effort most nights either, especially if we aren't playing a top team.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 2, 2016 -> 11:12 AM)
Kendall Gill blasted how they defend pick and rolls. He said if they defended it the way he thinks they should defend it, they would have 10 more wins.

Well that is just dumb considering they have been a top 10 defensive team all year and they don't have the personnel to rival a team the Spurs defensively which is what they would need to do to have 10 more wins.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 2, 2016 -> 07:44 AM)
One thing that seems to be much different to me:

-Under Hoiberg, when players have lost confidence, it seems like they are encouraged to go out and try and shoot more and create to get out of the slump. Play more individual.

-Under Thibs, if you lost it, you earned your PT by focusing on the little things, playing d and rebounding and playing within your role, to then get time to shoot out of it.

I think that plays a part of it. There's a "I need to shoot out of my struggles" we see more on this team, like Jimmy doing stepbacks galore yesterday.

Yeah...I am totally sick of Hoiberg. He's young and I want to give him the benefit of the doubt but this team looks lost and yes, players should be blamed, and the front office deserves a lot of that blame, but Hoiberg's coaching leaves a lot to be desired. Yesterdays game was just absolutely frustrating to watch. I think you hit the nail on the head regarding the difference of the two players and I look at everyone whose taken steps back and while I'm not blaming Hoiberg entirely for that regression, I do think this team would absolutely be better with Thibs.

I will give Pax the benefit of the doubt but Gar is absolutely done. Now I do hope Hoiberg somehow learns and pulls it out (by all accounts he's a good guy and he isn't Trestman...Trestman never played the game and was never near as successful as Hoiberg was). But things are a mess right now and I think Hoiberg's laid back style is hurting things at this point.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 2, 2016 -> 07:45 AM)

Good post. My big thing I struggle with is Snell / Niko / Dougie and collectively where they have been this year. Gar deserves a lot of blame and this situation is very difficult for a first year coach and injuries absolutely have played a factor but as I said, I'm confident this would be a better team with Thibs (than again, I'd say that about almost any team in the league cause I think Thibs is the man).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 2, 2016 -> 11:13 AM)
Good post. My big thing I struggle with is Snell / Niko / Dougie and collectively where they have been this year. Gar deserves a lot of blame and this situation is very difficult for a first year coach and injuries absolutely have played a factor but as I said, I'm confident this would be a better team with Thibs (than again, I'd say that about almost any team in the league cause I think Thibs is the man).

McD is in a much better place than he was last year. He isn't great now, but he was lost and had no confidence last year. Snell and Niko on the other hand are clearly behind where they were last year. Niko is another one who just doesn't seem interested in working hard or running a system. He snipes from distance, and that is about it.