2015-2016 NBA Thread

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 13, 2016 -> 09:46 PM)
Lavine was awesome, Gordon had 2 of the best dunks I've ever seen though. Good god.

Gordon should have definitely won. That was the best dunk contest of my lifetime and probably ever though. Jesus.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 14, 2016 -> 03:46 AM)
Lavine was awesome, Gordon had 2 of the best dunks I've ever seen though. Good god.

b/c of this post, i went and look it up on youtube.

wow, gordon dunks were the best i have ever seen. you are correct in that statement. it was funny watching the judges expression on a couple of those dunks.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 14, 2016 -> 07:09 AM)
DRose giving Jimmy advice about how to handle his injury. Perfect.

Kind of like fans on a message board determining if a pro athlete is too injured to play or not.

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 14, 2016 -> 08:48 AM)
Kind of like fans on a message board determining if a pro athlete is too injured to play or not.

I hope you aren't referring to General Soreness. The guy wasn't even on the injury report. He was so hurt he said he would be good to go 2 days later. I can understand him taking a day off here and there, but not when your team is reeling and the best player on the team is out vs, a team you could be battling for a playoff spot.

QUOTE (LDF @ Feb 14, 2016 -> 07:41 AM)
b/c of this post, i went and look it up on youtube.

wow, gordon dunks were the best i have ever seen. you are correct in that statement. it was funny watching the judges expression on a couple of those dunks.

LaVine had this guilty look on his face after he won. He even knew Gordon should've won (or at least should've tied).

Next year's contest:

Gordon

Lavine

Who cares

Who cares

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 14, 2016 -> 07:06 AM)
LaVine had this guilty look on his face after he won. He even knew Gordon should've won (or at least should've tied).

Next year's contest:

Gordon

Lavine

Who cares

Who cares

So I went back and watched Lavine and Gordon's dunks.

Incredible athleticism.

I'll stick with Jordan's artistry though.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 14, 2016 -> 08:10 AM)
Not sure what this means. But I saw at least 4 dunks last night that were better than any of Jordan's best dunks.

Well if you are voting strictly on athleticism, it's hard to say these guys aren't topping those dunks of their predecessors.

But if you go back and watch Jordan's dunks, he displays a level of artistry or style about most of his classic dunks that these guys don't have. Watch Jordan's last dunk in the '88 contest. Watch it in slo-mo and notice the subtle position of his feet, how he pumps his arm, etc. On his dunks from the side, he elevates and hangs, he'll rock the ball in his arm, etc. It's not just this explosion where he's merely trying to pull off an athletic feat...he's doing it with a style and artistry and these guys just don't match, IMHO.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 14, 2016 -> 10:16 AM)
Well if you are voting strictly on athleticism, it's hard to say these guys aren't topping those dunks of their predecessors.

But if you go back and watch Jordan's dunks, he displays a level of artistry or style about most of his classic dunks that these guys don't have. Watch Jordan's last dunk in the '88 contest. Watch it in slo-mo and notice the subtle position of his feet, how he pumps his arm, etc. On his dunks from the side, he elevates and hangs, he'll rock the ball in his arm, etc. It's not just this explosion where he's merely trying to pull off an athletic feat...he's doing it with a style and artistry and these guys just don't match, IMHO.

So are you saying that Lavine/Gordon's dunks were more impressive/better but Jordan's "artistry", not the actual dunks themselves, sets him apart? I'm kinda confused. Me personally, I don't give a s*** about artistry in this case. Gordon was practically sitting down mid-air with his head at the damn rim and went under his legs. I'm sorry. No amount of "artistry" measures up to that.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 14, 2016 -> 08:33 AM)
So are you saying that Lavine/Gordon's dunks were more impressive/better but Jordan's "artistry", not the actual dunks themselves, sets him apart? I'm kinda confused. Me personally, I don't give a s*** about artistry in this case. Gordon was practically sitting down mid-air with his head at the damn rim and went under his legs. I'm sorry. No amount of "artistry" measures up to that.

If that's your thing, yeah, hard to argue.

Me, I'll take Dr J and Mike.

Maybe I'm just old.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 14, 2016 -> 10:34 AM)
If that's your thing, yeah, hard to argue.

Me, I'll take Dr J and Mike.

Maybe I'm just old.

haha. That's fine. I'll be 33 in August. This is certainly not "my generation." But i'm sorry. Athletically, what these kids do today dwarfs past generations. I don't know if there's steroids or something in the food/water or whatever. But it's not even close.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 14, 2016 -> 08:38 AM)
haha. That's fine. I'll be 33 in August. This is certainly not "my generation." But i'm sorry. Athletically, what these kids do today dwarfs past generations. I don't know if there's steroids or something in the food/water or whatever. But it's not even close.

Well, part of it is they've had the benefit of having Jordan and Wilkins and Dr J and Vince Carter come before them. They've grown up practicing dunks that Jordan and Wilkins popularized 30 years ago. I'm sure the next generation will see what went on last night and practice those dunks and find ways to improve on them.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 14, 2016 -> 10:48 AM)
Well, part of it is they've had the benefit of having Jordan and Wilkins and Dr J and Vince Carter come before them. They've grown up practicing dunks that Jordan and Wilkins popularized 30 years ago. I'm sure the next generation will see what went on last night and practice those dunks and find ways to improve on them.

Fair enough. I'll stop here. I don't want to get into another internet war with Boogua/Mex on 80's/90's vs today.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Feb 14, 2016 -> 10:19 AM)
Rewatched the 2000 contest and while last night was amazing, 2000 was unreal.

If Gordon and LaVine return next year, add a few more people like Super Mario and it might dethrone it.

Uh...'85? '87? '88?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 14, 2016 -> 07:20 PM)
Uh...'85? '87? '88?

i will say this, up until i saw gordon dunks, no one did it better than MJ and Dr. J.

now i am saying what i saw was b/c of MJ. it has evolve b/c MJ started it.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Feb 14, 2016 -> 12:19 PM)
Rewatched the 2000 contest and while last night was amazing, 2000 was unreal.

If Gordon and LaVine return next year, add a few more people like Super Mario and it might dethrone it.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 14, 2016 -> 12:20 PM)
Uh...'85? '87? '88?

Just went back and watched all of these. 2000 was great but I'll take last night over it. The 80's ones don't hold up at all imo.