2015-2016 NBA Thread

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 08:22 AM)
There shouldn't be non-MLB All-Star games. There's nothing in the All-Star game that's worth getting hurt over.

And these are the best, highest players in the game. Unless they're playing for a competitive advantage later on (an idea I DO NOT endorse), they're not going to take it seriously.

I don't particularly think the risk in the NBA is much different than baseball (in-terms of injury).

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Feb 13, 2016 -> 07:52 AM)
There's a rumor going around that the Bulls and Magic discussed a Jimmy Butler for Victor Oladipo, a 1st rounder and another player, but the Magic turned it down.

Would Bulls fans do it if it was say Oladipo, Tobias Harris, Andrew Nicholson and the Lakers pick in 2017 for Butler and Portis?

I can't even imagine why the Bulls could consider that trade for Butler. Especially the one that the Magic turned down. That is horrific for the Bulls. Butler is a top 15 player in this league who is signed to an extremely affordable contract, long term (yes, he would get far more on the open market). Basically that initial deal is so ridiculous I can't even believe it.

Now your offer isn't as ridiculous (in fact I'd do it), given the potential value of that Lakers pick (along with Dipo & Harris).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 11:58 AM)
I can't even imagine why the Bulls could consider that trade for Butler. Especially the one that the Magic turned down. That is horrific for the Bulls. Butler is a top 15 player in this league who is signed to an extremely affordable contract, long term (yes, he would get far more on the open market). Basically that initial deal is so ridiculous I can't even believe it.

Now your officer isn't as ridiculous, given the potential value of that Lakers pick (along with Dipo & Harris).

I dont know if it changes your opinion, but this morning on the score they were saying that the other player was Vucevic

That depends...will the Bulls get Durant? If so, I am on board with that Butler deal, haha. I love Buckets though. I think we need to move Rose and truly build the team around Butler and another star. Reality is that won't happen so I can only hope that somehow Rose and Butler can be humbled to make it work and actually make this a team.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 12:58 PM)

Now your offer isn't as ridiculous (in fact I'd do it), given the potential value of that Lakers pick (along with Dipo & Harris).

Unless I'm missing something the 76ers, not the Magic, own the Lakers' pick.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 12:08 PM)
That depends...will the Bulls get Durant? If so, I am on board with that Butler deal, haha. I love Buckets though. I think we need to move Rose and truly build the team around Butler and another star. Reality is that won't happen so I can only hope that somehow Rose and Butler can be humbled to make it work and actually make this a team.

Looking at what the team will be...we dont' have a compelling reason to attract Durant here.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 10:15 AM)
Unless I'm missing something the 76ers, not the Magic, own the Lakers' pick.

I agree, 76ers own the Lakers pick for this year. Dbaho mentioned the 2017 pick, but now I see that is really the 2018 pick (top 5 protected) and dates back to the Dwight Howard trade. Amazing how the Howard and Nash moves completely hampered the Lakers ability to draft players (especially if they end up losing the pick to the sixers).

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 12:17 PM)
Looking at what the team will be...we dont' have a compelling reason to attract Durant here.

If GarPax fails to sign him, it'll be another indictment on their abilities. FIRE THEM NOW.

also:

(1) Gordon should have won. Or they should have been co-winners. The hoverboard dunk was one of the coolest things i've ever seen.

(2) Pretty funny how the 3 pt contest (also amazing) was the marquee event and everyone (including me) was wondering why we even have a dunk contest. And then 30 minutes later the dunk contest was the best or second best dunk contest ever. Not only did those guys do amazing dunks, they did them OVER AND OVER again, without missing (mostly).

(3) The game sucked, I stopped after the 1st quarter, but there were still some amazing plays made by Lebron, Westbrook and Durant.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 01:19 PM)
I agree, 76ers own the Lakers pick for this year. Dbaho mentioned the 2017 pick, but now I see that is really the 2018 pick (top 5 protected) and dates back to the Dwight Howard trade. Amazing how the Howard and Nash moves completely hampered the Lakers ability to draft players (especially if they end up losing the pick to the sixers).

So that pick is conveyed 2 years after the Lakers trade the 76ers their pick. The pick to the 76ers is top 3 protected this year and next (so it may convey but no guarantee) and then unprotected in 2018. However, if the Lakers pick doesn't got to the 76ers in either of the next two drafts then you simply get 2 second round picks instead. So that pick could have a lot of value if the Lakers are out of the top 3 either of the next two years or almost no value.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 10:24 AM)
So that pick is conveyed 2 years after the Lakers trade the 76ers their pick. The pick to the 76ers is top 3 protected this year and next (so it may convey but no guarantee) and then unprotected in 2018. However, if the Lakers pick doesn't got to the 76ers in either of the next two drafts then you simply get 2 second round picks instead. So that pick could have a lot of value if the Lakers are out of the top 3 either of the next two years or almost no value.

You would have to think at some point Lakers get out of the top 3, but agree there is volatility to that. I still couldn't believe the Suns dealt that Laker pick.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 12:22 PM)
If GarPax fails to sign him, it'll be another indictment on their abilities. FIRE THEM NOW.

also:

(1) Gordon should have won. Or they should have been co-winners. The hoverboard dunk was one of the coolest things i've ever seen.

(2) Pretty funny how the 3 pt contest (also amazing) was the marquee event and everyone (including me) was wondering why we even have a dunk contest. And then 30 minutes later the dunk contest was the best or second best dunk contest ever. Not only did those guys do amazing dunks, they did them OVER AND OVER again, without missing (mostly).

(3) The game sucked, I stopped after the 1st quarter, but there were still some amazing plays made by Lebron, Westbrook and Durant.

Realistically, how should the Bulls be able to beat out the rest of the NBA for Durant? I don't see it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 01:47 PM)
Realistically, how should the Bulls be able to beat out the rest of the NBA for Durant? I don't see it.

Who is likely to have max contract cap space this offseason?

Also, playing again in 2017, when Westbrook and Curry are on the market, is also not the worst thing in the world.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 01:52 PM)
The Warriors keep getting mentioned too, but I have no idea how realistic that is.

Again, out of that list, how do the Bulls win that? The answer is, they don't.

Right. Especially as we appear to be rebuilding. We will have no true center.

Washington - hometown

LA - Durant loves limelight and media, it seems

NY - no idea, but NY

GS - best team in world

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 02:22 PM)
For the record i'm 100% kidding about the Bulls getting Durant or that GarPax should be criticized for not getting him. That's in direct response to the ridiculous position that Ozzfest and others have maintained in this thread and the other thread.

:cheers

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 12:30 PM)
Right. Especially as we appear to be rebuilding. We will have no true center.

Washington - hometown

LA - Durant loves limelight and media, it seems

NY - no idea, but NY

GS - best team in world

If it were LA, I'm thinking Clippers before Lakers. I don't think any of you realize how negative the general perception of the Lakers is right now. Turmoil at the top, a mess at head coach, and literally zero talent. If I were the Bulls, I'd be doing everything I could to try and acquire the little talent they have, since they appear incompetent of using it correctly (looking at you, Russel & Randal).

You all say the Bulls are a mess, geeze, you haven't seen the Lakers operations since Jerry Buss passed away. I can't ignore Phil and NY, although it would seemingly feel like a disaster for Durant and Melo to be on the same team. Butler and Durant isn't ideal but works a lot better, imo. Wall and the Wizards is solid, although do they truly have the cap space (or do they have to make pretty drastic maneuvers for that to happen.

I personally think Heat are the sleepers in the whole deal. Are the Mavs going to have the cap space? You know Cuban would go all out and hard to beat (and its a major market and his college state). If the Bulls were going to do it, they'd obviously have to tweak the pieces, but on paper, Bulls aren't near as bad as everyone says. They have stuff to fix though, absolutely, and I keep hoping Gar is shown the door.

Oh, not saying Lakers are an attractive situation but I know they will have room to offer max and will pursue hard. You are right if Clips get rid of Blake they may make offer.

I think it's between OKC and WAS personally. But who knows, wouldn't be surprised if Dallas/Houston do crazy stuff to offload assets and are in mix, as they always seem to be.

If I was NoLa, I'd do everything possible to shed what I can to offer max to him. That would be filthy.

Why would Durant go anywhere when he can (1) still play with Westbrook and Ibaka and be a top team in the West...no other roster gives him that kind of talent to start with, and (2) sign a one year deal and cash in the following season with a max contract under the new cap system.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 01:21 PM)
Oh, not saying Lakers are an attractive situation but I know they will have room to offer max and will pursue hard. You are right if Clips get rid of Blake they may make offer.

I think it's between OKC and WAS personally. But who knows, wouldn't be surprised if Dallas/Houston do crazy stuff to offload assets and are in mix, as they always seem to be.

If I was NoLa, I'd do everything possible to shed what I can to offer max to him. That would be filthy.

If I were the Bulls, I'd have Butler attend every single Anthony Davis event (same with Rose). Whisper in his ear and eventually get him to force a trade back home. Hell, build the franchise around Davis and trade Buckets and whatever for him. Somehow some birdies have to get him to force a move out of New Orleans. He'll never win anything there, imo.