Albers

harkness99

The funnest (sic) of fun facts: Matt Albers has finished 86 games in his career. He has never recorded a save. All time, this is second only to fellow active journeyman Ryan Webb, currently in the Indians pen. Webb has surged ahead this season: he has already recorded 9 games finished, bringing his career total to 96(!). Albers's time on the DL has done him no favors in this chase for history, as he's got just 3 on the year.

(Credit goes to Baseball Prospectus's "Effectively Wild" podcast for noticing this race last year)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 13, 2015 -> 10:11 AM)
Honestly the entire pen was great last night. Even Robertson got screwed because of his defense. Realistically the pen didn't give up a run from the 8th to the 13th inning if Abreu makes the right choice.

I didn't get to see the game so I wondered what happened because Robertson is making his way on my mental midget list.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Aug 13, 2015 -> 02:58 PM)
I didn't get to see the game so I wondered what happened because Robertson is making his way on my mental midget list.

He wasn't great but yeah if Abreu doesn't screw up he likely gets the save.

The first man that reached he threw a meatball on 1-2 count.

Then on a hit and run he gave up a bullet.. so two hits - first and 3rd 1 out. Gives up a line shot for the 3rd out.

But he likely should have escaped.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Aug 13, 2015 -> 11:07 AM)
Next time you give him props, try to spell his name correctly.

Well it was fixed.. Never noticed it was Albers instead of Aalbers. I've seen the name Aalbers many times in my life (including my high school quarterback).

Never knew any ALBERS.

I apologize.

• 1 month later...
QUOTE (harkness @ Aug 13, 2015 -> 01:24 PM)
He wasn't great but yeah if Abreu doesn't screw up he likely gets the save.

The first man that reached he threw a meatball on 1-2 count.

Then on a hit and run he gave up a bullet.. so two hits - first and 3rd 1 out. Gives up a line shot for the 3rd out.

But he likely should have escaped.

Do you mean Flowers? Catcher's interference and passed ball.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Sep 14, 2015 -> 10:42 PM)
Chuck Garfien ‏@ChuckGarfien 9m9 minutes ago

One of Rick Hahn's best moves as GM: signing Matt Albers. Has a 1.38 ERA. Hasn't given up an earned run since July.

We've made him a good amount of money on the free agent market since he's on a 1 year contract and we didn't make use of him at either of the trade deadlines.

Yeah, this is so familiar during Rick Hahn's tenure, the low-risk bullpen piece that works out is injured/just recovering to not be able to trade, not signed beyond one year. So, yay Albers, you helped this non-playoff team during the only months where we coulnd't flip you for longer term value.

It's an easy way to add more talent to the system without affecting the long-term goals of the club. The prospect we added for Beckham may actually make it to the big leagues, and who would have guessed. It's cool to mock something very reasonable that the club needs to be doing while rebuilding, though. You are much smarter than us.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 15, 2015 -> 11:08 AM)
It's an easy way to add more talent to the system without affecting the long-term goals of the club. The prospect we added for Beckham may actually make it to the big leagues, and who would have guessed. It's cool to mock something very reasonable that the club needs to be doing while rebuilding, though. You are much smarter than us.

Good, my goal is to look cool and smart.

Albers is pictured next to "just a guy" in the dictionary, despite his remarkable August in which he allowed 14 hits, 6 walks, and a hit batter in 13.2 innings. He's also allowed 10 inherited runners to score this year, which is tied for 35th in MLB this year behind a whole bunch of guys who've thrown more innings. The 1.38 ERA is a mirage and GM's know it. Any return for him would be a long shot to ever contribute, Gordon Beckham trade notwithstanding.

Should he have been traded? Sure.

Is it worth complaining about? No.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Sep 15, 2015 -> 11:40 AM)
Good, my goal is to look cool and smart.

Albers is pictured next to "just a guy" in the dictionary, despite his remarkable August in which he allowed 14 hits, 6 walks, and a hit batter in 13.2 innings. He's also allowed 10 inherited runners to score this year, which is tied for 35th in MLB this year behind a whole bunch of guys who've thrown more innings. The 1.38 ERA is a mirage and GM's know it. Any return for him would be a long shot to ever contribute, Gordon Beckham trade notwithstanding.

Should he have been traded? Sure.

Is it worth complaining about? No.

Yeah, the "Beckham was traded for a guy who may be decent" doesn't mean Albers would be traded for a guy who would be decent. If it was, the Sox then should get a serviceable pitcher and a starting SS for John Danks considering that's exactly what they got for Jaime Navarro.

One month of Matt Albers gets you scraps. Maybe those scraps become a decent player. Odds are, in a year, you forget exactly what the Sox received for Matt Albers. The White Sox are paying the guy. You would think if there was something offered they were even remotely intrigued with, they would have sent him packing. Obviously, there was not.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 15, 2015 -> 09:48 AM)
Yeah, the "Beckham was traded for a guy who may be decent" doesn't mean Albers would be traded for a guy who would be decent. If it was, the Sox then should get a serviceable pitcher and a starting SS for John Danks considering that's exactly what they got for Jaime Navarro.

One month of Matt Albers gets you scraps. Maybe those scraps become a decent player. Odds are, in a year, you forget exactly what the Sox received for Matt Albers. The White Sox are paying the guy. You would think if there was something offered they were even remotely intrigued with, they would have sent him packing. Obviously, there was not.

I totally forgot that we got Eldred and Jose for Navarro. What a freaking trade.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 15, 2015 -> 11:48 AM)

There is one key point being missed here.

The odds of getting a good player for Albers are zero if you keep him.

The odds of getting a good player for Albers are above zero if you trade him.

It doesn't particularly matter how good the offer was, it was SOMETHING, which is better than NOTHING.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 15, 2015 -> 11:48 AM)

No, you are right, it doesn't. But if his success happens at the right time you flip it for a lottery ticket. It will most likely fail, but the more lottery ticket talent you bring into the system the more chances you have something hits. And all you paid for it was a decent reliever in a year where you were terrible.

There is zero argument that Matt Albers not getting injured changes the trajectory of the franchise, but the white sox have been rebuilding for 3 years, and absolutely zero of their low-risk vet signings have turned into something they could sell for long-term potential. This is something other teams in similar situations have been able to do successfully, and Hahn has not. His low-risk signings have either been DFA disasters or injured around the deadline. He is either very unlucky, which is possible, or we have terrible pro scouting, which at this point seems very accurate.