Adam Eaton's defense

ron883

QUOTE (credezcrew24 @ Aug 17, 2015 -> 11:12 PM)
Eaton reminds me of Johnny Knox. He makes highlight plays because he takes bad routes on catches that should be fairly routine.

Regardless if Eaton moves to the corner I think Avi should be sent down to the minors and left there for all of 2016.

Lol just no

Eaton sucks, Avi sucks, Melky is horrible defensively, Saladino is a utility guy, Alexei should be in a retirement home, Sanchez is a utility guy on a good team, Abreu needs to be a DH, LaRoche and Flowers should be selling insurance.

Why when the White Sox lose is it almost always on the coaches and manager?

There are several options on this front.

First and foremost is waiting. Adam Eaton graded out as a plus CF last year and a negative CF this year. As of right now, his track record isn't consistently bad enough that I'm ready to move him out of the CF spot. An additional half year of playing poor CF defense and then you can start considering moving him to LF, but for now it's too soon.

Should Eaton need to be moved out of CF, the obvious initial option is moving him to LF and moving Cabrera to the DH spot. That was potentially an option anyway once LaRoche's contract ended. Waiting until next season thus creates opportunities to see if LaRoche can have a final recovery year and it gives Eaton a chance to return to his 2014 defensive form.

Should doubleT hit well enough to earn a starting chance, then rotating him in should work, but giving him time to come off the bench might not be the worst thing ever. He's been raw at every step and struggled for several years in the minors, we shouldn't get too seduced by a few hits falling early in his career. He's likely still to be a project offensively.

On the other topic that is brought up, if the White Sox are serious about being competitive in 2016 then the posters above are correct and Avi Garcia is a big enough problem that he has to be moved out of the way. However, Cabrera-TT-Eaton isn't an obviously competitive OF unless Trayce is one of the best fielders in the big leagues. That would still leave the Sox with a pretty weak OF. A FA upgrade would still seem like a better option than that OF if the White Sox insist they are going to be competitive next year.

Should the White Sox be willing to take some time next year and work to develop what they have rather than attempting win-now moves as they did this year, an OF of Melky-Eaton-Avi with TT as the main backup (and heck, possibly Shuck thrown in as well) on opening day gives some time for several guys to grow up and gives us more time to evaluate whether Eaton's defense truly cannot handle CF while also working to open up money and the DH spot.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Aug 18, 2015 -> 09:05 AM)
I think putting Trayce in RF permanently will positively effect Eaton's defensive metrics

If Trayce's bat is questionable in CF, and I think it is, then his bat would be even more questionable in RF and he'd also be getting fewer defensive chances there.

Advanced fielding stats currently take ab out three years of data before they are reliably predictive. Also, at least last year, there was significant disagreement between UZR and DRS, with the latter grading him out as above average.

Right now, I think he most likely grades out as "just fine" defensively. He's not a problem out there, and he's hitting well, so we should just leave it alone.

QUOTE (credezcrew24 @ Aug 17, 2015 -> 11:12 PM)
Eaton reminds me of Johnny Knox. He makes highlight plays because he takes bad routes on catches that should be fairly routine.

Regardless if Eaton moves to the corner I think Avi should be sent down to the minors and left there for all of 2016.

Jim Edmonds won multiple Gold Gloves playing that way

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 18, 2015 -> 08:33 AM)
Advanced fielding stats currently take ab out three years of data before they are reliably predictive. Also, at least last year, there was significant disagreement between UZR and DRS, with the latter grading him out as above average.

Right now, I think he most likely grades out as "just fine" defensively. He's not a problem out there, and he's hitting well, so we should just leave it alone.

I agree. He has been prone to an occasional colossal blunder, but for the most part, defense has not been an issue in CF for the White Sox.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 18, 2015 -> 07:58 AM)
Adam Eaton graded out as a plus CF last year and a negative CF this year. As of right now, his track record isn't consistently bad enough that I'm ready to move him out of the CF spot.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 18, 2015 -> 08:33 AM)

Correct. Eaton appears to be a capable enough center fielder. If you have a guy who can be described that way, you let him play center.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 18, 2015 -> 07:57 AM)
Eaton sucks, Avi sucks, Melky is horrible defensively, Saladino is a utility guy, Alexei should be in a retirement home, Sanchez is a utility guy on a good team, Abreu needs to be a DH, LaRoche and Flowers should be selling insurance.

Why when the White Sox lose is it almost always on the coaches and manager?

Take a bunch of things that dozens of distinct people have said, aggregate them all as if they represent the giant stupid collective opinion, somehow defend Robin in a thread that had nothing to do with him. You could give me a thousand tries and I'd never guess this was a Dick Allen post.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Aug 18, 2015 -> 08:42 AM)
Correct. Eaton appears to be a capable enough center fielder. If you have a guy who can be described that way, you let him play center.

Take a bunch of things that dozens of distinct people have said, aggregate them all as if they represent the giant stupid collective opinion, somehow defend Robin in a thread that had nothing to do with him. You could give me a thousand tries and I'd never guess this was a Dick Allen post.

It's the recurring theme with every thread how so and so is so bad, yet if you get in a gamethread, if Joe Maddon is managing the Sox, they might be 80 games over .500 right now.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 18, 2015 -> 08:46 AM)
It's the recurring theme with every thread how so and so is so bad, yet if you get in a gamethread, if Joe Maddon is managing the Sox, they might be 80 games over .500 right now.

I'm with you on the RV thing, but seriously why do you have to make EVERY thread into an argument about it?

QUOTE (shysocks @ Aug 18, 2015 -> 08:42 AM)

I'd put him on the market - see the offers. If Trayce is good enough or other replacements are available.

The Sox want to win next year? C, 3b,SS, and 2B are as big an issue as Avi in RF. LF isn't the best either. They don't need to improve all of those, but at least some.

No more than one "proven veteran" need apply.

My general take is that we don't need to be rushing to replace him out there, but I wouldn't decide to avoid an opportunity to get an excellent defensive CF just because we have Adam. He could potentially be a really good LF and definitely has the bat to play a corner.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 18, 2015 -> 12:43 PM)
Suddenly Trayce is a can't miss prospect.

I never said he'd be a great offensive player. Right now we have 2 lousy ass outfielders (in terms of fielding). You move one to DH, move Eaton to the corner, and put Trayce in CF. You have an elite defensive CF, and most likely an above average corner outfielder. You also get to bench LaRoche. This the best in house move to make if you want to win more games IMO.