The Sox should maybe trade for Hanley Ramirez

Vance Law

Sox need of offensive upgrades wherever we can get them and particularly at 3rd. But there are no good free agent options unless maybe Ben Zobrist could be an everyday 3rd basemen despite having only ever played 6 games there. The other problem with bidding on Zobrist is that literally every single team could use him somewhere.

Red Sox have 1 million outfielders and both Pablo Sandoval and Hanley Ramirez signed for multiple years. Ramirez has been completely brutal in the outfield and I can't imagine a scenario where they start next year with him as left fielder again. Sandoval has been brutal defensively at third, subpar with the bat, and has an additional year on his contract. He's presumably a lot harder to move unless they eat some of that salary (yes those were fat jokes).

Red Sox need pitching, we've got arms in the minors. They should be motivated by the fact that they're paying Ramirez a lot of money to make them a worse team than with Bradley Jr. in the outfield. $68 million is a lot and maybe they'd kick in $$, but I don't see too many other avenues for White Sox to make a significant offensive improvement unless you're talking about a complicated overhaul with multiple trades. Perhaps something structured around Eric Johnson? Call me crazy. Do your worst.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Aug 18, 2015 -> 04:50 AM)
Sox need of offensive upgrades wherever we can get them and particularly at 3rd. But there are no good free agent options unless maybe Ben Zobrist could be an everyday 3rd basemen despite having only ever played 6 games there. The other problem with bidding on Zobrist is that literally every single team could use him somewhere.

Red Sox have 1 million outfielders and both Pablo Sandoval and Hanley Ramirez signed for multiple years. Ramirez has been completely brutal in the outfield and I can't imagine a scenario where they start next year with him as left fielder again. Sandoval has been brutal defensively at third, subpar with the bat, and has an additional year on his contract. He's presumably a lot harder to move unless they eat some of that salary (yes those were fat jokes).

Red Sox need pitching, we've got arms in the minors. They should be motivated by the fact that they're paying Ramirez a lot of money to make them a worse team than with Bradley Jr. in the outfield. $68 million is a lot and maybe they'd kick in $$, but I don't see too many other avenues for White Sox to make a significant offensive improvement unless you're talking about a complicated overhaul with multiple trades. Perhaps something structured around Eric Johnson? Call me crazy. Do your worst.

They would want a major league arm not Johnson. They have a bunch of Johnson types. My gut is it would take Q and I would rather have a younger player w more versatility in the field than Ramirez. I have posted several times I would want Bradley and a young catcher + for Q

I've always hated Hanley so I'm automatically opposed to this. The Red Sox would get laughed off the phone if they asked for Q, by the way.

Hanley is obviously a good hitter but he's so up-and-down, and such a malcontent, that this is the sort of thing I know wouldn't work out (I don't literally know it, but it's just got bad vibes). Plus he hasn't played third since 2012 and we don't know if he still can.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Aug 18, 2015 -> 08:31 AM)
I've always hated Hanley so I'm automatically opposed to this. The Red Sox would get laughed off the phone if they asked for Q, by the way.

Hanley is obviously a good hitter but he's so up-and-down, and such a malcontent, that this is the sort of thing I know wouldn't work out (I don't literally know it, but it's just got bad vibes). Plus he hasn't played third since 2012 and we don't know if he still can.

I think perhaps the Sox need to stop worrying about having nice guys on there team, and focus on getting some guys who can actually play baseball. While I'm sure Saladino is a great guy to be around, he is not very good.

Ramirez would be a solid upgrade offensively, and we desperately need offense. And I'm sure if the Sox took on the contract, it would not take much to get him. Or if the Sox threw in something of value, they might send some cash.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 18, 2015 -> 10:15 AM)
Hanley is a DH. He's more than capable of playing a decent LF, he's not doing it because he doesn't give a s***. I don't see any reason to believe that would change if he was moved to 3B.

For the park he's playing in, his mid-.700s OPS wouldn't be particularly impressive for a DH. Upgrade from LaRoche but not saying much.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 18, 2015 -> 09:17 AM)
For the park he's playing in, his mid-.700s OPS wouldn't be particularly impressive for a DH. Upgrade from LaRoche but not saying much.

The bat has been essentially league average so far (101 wRC+) and projects to be a bit better going forward (111 - 125 wRC+ depending on the system). If you thought what he's doing now is what he's going to do going forward, you;d be insane to acquire him. But yeah, a ~120 wRC+ isn't worth $20m per year anyway.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Aug 18, 2015 -> 03:50 AM)
Red Sox need pitching, we've got arms in the minors.

1) This is the same approach the Sox have been doing. Get the "proven veteran" - he's elite. He's a hero.

2)Henley is a lousy defender.

3)Why should the Sox give up value for him and his contract...something anyone could have gotten for free a season ago?

If it fails for 6 straight years, let's do it for a 7th.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Aug 18, 2015 -> 10:05 AM)
Another guy in his 30's, had some injuries, has issues attitude-wise. I think Hahn is trying to get away from that as much as he is allowed to. I'll pass on this one.

Mark

Next is realizing NL veterans and veteran players from consistently losing organizations have not helped.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 18, 2015 -> 09:31 AM)
The bat has been essentially league average so far (101 wRC+) and projects to be a bit better going forward (111 - 125 wRC+ depending on the system). If you thought what he's doing now is what he's going to do going forward, you;d be insane to acquire him. But yeah, a ~120 wRC+ isn't worth $20m per year anyway.

.907 OPS for 2013-2014. 8.4 fWAR in a season and a quarter (216 games) with decent defense all at shortstop. There is some price in $$ and prospects at which it is a good idea to acquire him. I don't know what that is. If not him, who, to improve at 3rd base? If not 3rd base, improvement from where? Throw infinity dollars at Matt Wieters and his 104 wRC+ (career 99 wRC+)?

My observation on this is that we are developing players in our system for a reason and that is to have young, home grown and contract/cost controlled players for some years to come. Many of us have called for building from within. Saladino isn't real strong with the bat, but he has been outstanding with the glove and I am guessing will improve. Plus we still have Davidson. I think at some point you have to see whether Davidson can produce or not. I don't think we got him just to hold down a AAA spot

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 18, 2015 -> 04:10 PM)
My observation on this is that we are developing players in our system for a reason and that is to have young, home grown and contract/cost controlled players for some years to come. Many of us have called for building from within. Saladino isn't real strong with the bat, but he has been outstanding with the glove and I am guessing will improve. Plus we still have Davidson. I think at some point you have to see whether Davidson can produce or not. I don't think we got him just to hold down a AAA spot

Well that wasnt the idea when they acquired him but that looks like where he is destined to be.

Hanley Sure . Hey Boston please pay all of his salary and then pay the Sox more to make him not your problem anymore. Literally the worst type of player to get for every reason all the previous posters have stated. There is nothing positive he could contribute that wouldn't be completely and utterly destroyed by the jumbo jet full of baggage on board.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 18, 2015 -> 05:48 PM)
Hanley Sure . Hey Boston please pay all of his salary and then pay the Sox more to make him not your problem anymore. Literally the worst type of player to get for every reason all the previous posters have stated. There is nothing positive he could contribute that wouldn't be completely and utterly destroyed by the jumbo jet full of baggage on board.

The Dodgers didn't mind his baseball hitting.