Trayce Thompson

Dunt

In 16 ABs, Trayce has already been worth 0.5 WAR. His defense, along with the potential of his bat, should make him an every day start from here on out. Give some of the other OFs rest and rotate him at DH.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 18, 2015 -> 07:50 AM)
We are a 1-15 or a 2-20 away from 7 or 8 posts telling us he can be fine as a 4th OF, but that is what he is. That he isn't a starting OF on a White Sox playoff team.

He's been great so far, but he will slow down and as just about every rookie does, struggle.

Im not expecting him to hit .500 for the rest of the season, but the value is plainly there. He looks like he's squaring a lot of stuff up nicely so far and he never makes any defensive play look like a circus.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 18, 2015 -> 07:50 AM)
We are a 1-15 or a 2-20 away from 7 or 8 posts telling us he can be fine as a 4th OF, but that is what he is. That he isn't a starting OF on a White Sox playoff team.

He's been great so far, but he will slow down and as just about every rookie does, struggle.

Don't forget Trayce also still have loads of potential. He was always being regarded as raw, and is still only 24. There is no reason to think he cannot improve and become an everyday starting OF with experience in the MLB.

QUOTE (staxx @ Aug 18, 2015 -> 08:19 AM)
Don't forget Trayce also still have loads of potential. He was always being regarded as raw, and is still only 24. There is no reason to think he cannot improve and become an everyday starting OF with experience in the MLB.

The one thing I really like about him in addition to his athletic ability is he seems to have a decent baseball IQ. I think that could make a huge difference in his development. He is actually 3 months older than Avi Garcia.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Aug 18, 2015 -> 07:54 AM)
Im not expecting him to hit .500 for the rest of the season, but the value is plainly there. He looks like he's squaring a lot of stuff up nicely so far and he never makes any defensive play look like a circus.

No matter what, he's better than LaRoche. In fact, anyone is better than LaRoche. He should start in OF, and we should tell Avi to focus on hitting at DH.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Aug 18, 2015 -> 07:43 AM)
In 16 ABs, Trayce has already been worth 0.5 WAR. His defense, along with the potential of his bat, should make him an every day start from here on out. Give some of the other OFs rest and rotate him at DH.

That number could easily go down to 0 in the next 16 ABs.

I agree he deserves a look and we should play him while he's hitting, but I don't think we should get too excited. It's too early and his minor league numbers weren't exactly stellar.

Considering where he was considered at the end of last year, I'm very excited that it looks like we have at the very least a defensive replacement (an excellent one) with some pop.

Favorite thing about watching Trayce so far, he looks like he has a clue on the basepaths. He's also fast with crazy reactions. Him being able to get back to 1st on a pickoff move after he'd started to run to second was crazy.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 18, 2015 -> 11:46 AM)
He's likely a 4th OF, and a pretty good one. But in this lost season, I think you play him every day or nearly so.

Exactly. Why not see what he is exactly? You already know what you have in the other 3 OFers, let the kid get some real, meaningful playing time. If he is ultimately a 4th OFer, atleast we can get that figured out now instead of next year.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 18, 2015 -> 11:46 AM)
He's likely a 4th OF, and a pretty good one. But in this lost season, I think you play him every day or nearly so.

Cant afford it. We are 5 1/2 games out and every game is crucial.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Aug 18, 2015 -> 07:43 AM)

Just as long as you pinch hit for him in late innings.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Aug 18, 2015 -> 12:53 PM)
Exactly. Why not see what he is exactly? You already know what you have in the other 3 OFers, let the kid get some real, meaningful playing time. If he is ultimately a 4th OFer, atleast we can get that figured out now instead of next year.

If he hits .050 the rest of the way does that prove he's a failure and can't handle it as a 4th OF? If he hits .500 does that prove he's 100% ready to go? I don't think either of those is the case.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Aug 18, 2015 -> 05:43 AM)

Sample size.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 18, 2015 -> 10:09 AM)
If he hits .050 the rest of the way does that prove he's a failure and can't handle it as a 4th OF? If he hits .500 does that prove he's 100% ready to go? I don't think either of those is the case.

If he hits .500 from here to the end of the season, yes, I am okay handing him a starting job. If he hits .300 from here on out and you like the progress you see and he is as good as advertised defensively, then again, I am okay going that route. If he sucks, then we evaluate that when it happens, but for the time being, he should get a lot of at bats and experience this season.

I wouldn't mind putting him in CF and switching Eaton to right while having Avi only DH. If he can't negate his bat's value on the field he is actually a useful piece and maybe his fielding comes to the plate with him and makes him press and try too hard. From what I've seen he is batting better out of the DH spot.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 18, 2015 -> 04:12 PM)
I think we have the three starting OF spots filled. But, Thompson might be a good 4th OF option. Now if we make a change at the DH things might be different and spots open up

Filled in what sense? To win a division? Doubtful.

They need to play Thompson - see what they have.

They could get a nice return for Eaton, if Thompson could replace him. Don't think they can afford not to have power at the 2 corner spots, esp with nothing from C, 2B and 3B (although that will obviously have to change to contend).

They're stuck with Melky although I guess he can DH. Much bigger anchor than Avi.

Edited by GreenSox

Trayce has also been great on the bases according to Fangraphs. This kid needs to play. He could be one of those guys whose athletic skills just translate better in MLB for whatever reason. The parks are bigger, the balls are hit harder and a gifted natural athlete like Trayce might be able to make it work.

It doesn't hurt anyone to play garcia at DH the rest of the way and let Trayce see 150 PA before the season is over.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Aug 19, 2015 -> 02:12 PM)
Filled in what sense? To win a division? Doubtful.

They need to play Thompson - see what they have.

They could get a nice return for Eaton, if Thompson could replace him. Don't think they can afford not to have power at the 2 corner spots, esp with nothing from C, 2B and 3B (although that will obviously have to change to contend).

They're stuck with Melky although I guess he can DH. Much bigger anchor than Avi.

Why would we trade Adam Eaton? He is one of the top 3 bats on the team and an above average offensive CF signed cheap

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Aug 19, 2015 -> 04:16 PM)
Why would we trade Adam Eaton? He is one of the top 3 bats on the team and an above average offensive CF signed cheap

This is like the problem I run into on OOTP -- how do I improve the team without gutting it? I can tell you that when you try and trade the guys that have trade value it usually means you're making the team worse in the short term for no guarantee of long term improvement.

Guys like Q and Eaton shouldn't just be thrown out as "trade assets" because hell, those are two of the best players in the team. Without either, they'd really be in trouble and there's no guarantee what they'd get back would amount to anything. Especially given that KW is likely to be the final say.

Q I could stomach trading IF we got a deal worthy of his value, because I feel the pitching depth in the organization could justify adding 2 quality, young, controlled regulars; however, we are in literally 0 position to trade a guy like Eaton just because Trayce Thompson (who I like) is beating lefties 12 AB's into his career. Trayce should be starting against every lefty we see and I wouldn't mind seeing him in 80-120 games next year giving guys off days, starting against lefties and coming in late as a defensive replacement/pinch hitter, but suggesting we trade Eaton and just start TT isn't a path I would want to go down.

Now if he does play that many games next year and continues beating lefties and shows some success against righties, then we are talking about a guy we should play 155 games in RF/CF.

Edited by Knackattack