OF Michael Choice

GGajewski18

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Aug 19, 2015 -> 11:33 AM)
I thought that he only had to go on the 40 man roster, not the 25 man. I thought the only way he would have to pass through waivers would be if he is out of options.

That was my thought as well. I'm pretty sure he still has options as well

Cleveland, Seattle, Oakland, and Boston all have priority over the Sox. He's a guy that I'd definitely claim though. Even if he needs to be on the 25, I'd just send down Trayce to make room and bring him back in September. Choice was the 10th overall pick in the draft and has put up decent offensive numbers in the minors. Those are guys that I love getting for free. This org loves former 1st rounders as well.

From what I can find, it looks like he wasn't added to the 40 man until September of 2013 when he was called up the Athletics. He would have then used an option in each of 2014 and 2015. He should have one option year left. He already spent more than 20 days in the minors this year so his option for this year was used and he should be able to be sent down. Not sure why they would DFA him.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 19, 2015 -> 12:17 PM)
If you are correct that he has options, then this is a pretty rare occurrence. Almost all DFA's are guys who don't have options.

I believe this year was his last option year. So not sure how that works when changing teams, but he was optioned earlier this year without being exposed to waivers, so presumably he can be claimed and optioned to AAA again. He would have to be one 25-man next year, though.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Aug 19, 2015 -> 12:28 PM)
From what I can find, it looks like he wasn't added to the 40 man until September of 2013 when he was called up the Athletics. He would have then used an option in each of 2014 and 2015. He should have one option year left. He already spent more than 20 days in the minors this year so his option for this year was used and he should be able to be sent down. Not sure why they would DFA him.

Clearly they needed a spot on the 40 man and they weren't concerned with losing him.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Aug 19, 2015 -> 12:28 PM)

It looks like he has only appeared in one game and logged three innings at the ML level this season. That being said, he is not very good looking at the numbers he has put up the last couple of seasons. No reason to bring a guy like that in when we really dont have a good track record of fixing hitters.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Aug 19, 2015 -> 12:32 PM)
It looks like he has only appeared in one game and logged three innings at the ML level this season. That being said, he is not very good looking at the numbers he has put up the last couple of seasons. No reason to bring a guy like that in when we really dont have a good track record of fixing hitters.

Just because the organization hasn't had much successful fixing hitters, it doesn't mean you stop trying when the cost is virtually nothing.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Aug 19, 2015 -> 12:33 PM)
Just because the organization hasn't had much successful fixing hitters, it doesn't mean you stop trying when the cost is virtually nothing.

Exactly, he was highly regarded, he just hasn't quite figured it out yet. Change of scenery could help him.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Aug 19, 2015 -> 12:33 PM)

I am not sure he is better than anyone on the current 40 man roster, I am all for taking on flyers on guys with potential, but Choice is not good. He is in Davidson territory.