Gillaspie DFA'd again

elrockinMT

Amazing how tough it is to be a baseball player. Gillaspie went from last year appearing to be a guy who might last a while to a guy who now is done. He has no real upside. He is a lousy fielder and a fair to lousy hitter with no speed.

Beckham also is done and it's time for the Sox to let him go.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 19, 2015 -> 09:05 PM)
Amazing how tough it is to be a baseball player. Gillaspie went from last year appearing to be a guy who might last a while to a guy who now is done. He has no real upside. He is a lousy fielder and a fair to lousy hitter with no speed.

Beckham also is done and it's time for the Sox to let him go.

I think this story is really one where we can all learn from as far as judging talent and success. Gillaspie came from the Giants organization where he was stalled because of Pablo Sandoval occupying third base. He did pretty good for the Sox in 2014 with the bat even though he cooled towards the end. Defense was not good but the bat made it better to swallow and folks were giddy over Conor. In 2015 it caught up with him. Beckham is a different story in my opinion. He was signed by the Sox as a role player/utility player. He can play three infield positions quite well. Conor was limited to third base and struggled defensively. Gordon has helped us with his defense. You sign people to fill roles and you can't expect them to all be .400 hitters with 100 RBI's. I do get frustrated by unrealistic comments of some posters who just seem to want to hate on someone. Who would you replace Beckham with? Leury Garcia or try Bonifacio again? The young talent should be looked at as starters not part time utility players.

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 20, 2015 -> 08:42 PM)
I think this story is really one where we can all learn from as far as judging talent and success. Gillaspie came from the Giants organization where he was stalled because of Pablo Sandoval occupying third base. He did pretty good for the Sox in 2014 with the bat even though he cooled towards the end. Defense was not good but the bat made it better to swallow and folks were giddy over Conor. In 2015 it caught up with him. Beckham is a different story in my opinion. He was signed by the Sox as a role player/utility player. He can play three infield positions quite well. Conor was limited to third base and struggled defensively. Gordon has helped us with his defense. You sign people to fill roles and you can't expect them to all be .400 hitters with 100 RBI's. I do get frustrated by unrealistic comments of some posters who just seem to want to hate on someone. Who would you replace Beckham with? Leury Garcia or try Bonifacio again? The young talent should be looked at as starters not part time utility players.

I was judging Beckham by his original draft position. That's why I said he may be one of the biggest busts in Sox history. I wasn't talking about the new once a week Beckham we acquired. I'd just as soon see him gone and give Micah his at bats.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 20, 2015 -> 02:41 PM)
I was judging Beckham by his original draft position. That's why I said he may be one of the biggest busts in Sox history. I wasn't talking about the new once a week Beckham we acquired. I'd just as soon see him gone and give Micah his at bats.

I don't think so. He's managed to stay in baseball much longer. He has value as a utility player. Unfortunately guys like him get exposed when you have a weak hitting lineup.

Edited by kitekrazy

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Aug 20, 2015 -> 11:51 PM)
I don't think so. He's managed to stay in baseball much longer. He has value as a utility player. Unfortunately guys like him get exposed when you have a weak hitting lineup.

This Six have had bigger busts in the last 10 years. Broadway, Mitchell, the guy we traded for Thornton come to mind. Beckham has stuck around although That may just be a matter of the Sox keeping him around. We'll see if he gets picked up in the open market next year. You could also argue that Mitchell and Broadway werre bad reaches and never should've been drafted where they were.

Edited by GreenSox

Kurt Brown (drafted before Bonds), Joel Skinner, Joe Borchard, Josh Fields, Brian Anderson, Jon Rauch, Daryl Boston, KW, Chris Snopek, Mike Caruso, Scott Ruffcorn, Jimmy Hurst, Jeff Abbott, Jeremy Reed, Lorenzo Barcelo, Danny Wright, Jim Parque, Jason Stumm, Kris Honel, Felix Diaz, Arnie Munoz, Miguel Gonzalez, Jerry Owens, Poreda, Royce Ring, Matt Ginter, Keenyn Walker, etc.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 21, 2015 -> 09:02 AM)
Kurt Brown (drafted before Bonds), Joel Skinner, Joe Borchard, Josh Fields, Brian Anderson, Jon Rauch, Daryl Boston, KW, Chris Snopek, Mike Caruso, Scott Ruffcorn, Jimmy Hurst, Jeff Abbott, Jeremy Reed, Lorenzo Barcelo, Danny Wright, Jim Parque, Jason Stumm, Kris Honel, Felix Diaz, Arnie Munoz, Miguel Gonzalez, Jerry Owens, Poreda, Royce Ring, Matt Ginter, Keenyn Walker, etc.

:lol:

Caulfield'd

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 21, 2015 -> 10:02 AM)

Barcelo and Caruso came over from SF in the White Flag trade, Skinner came from the Pirates, and Owens from the Expos. Felix Diaz, Arnie Munoz, and Miguel Gonzalez were foreign free agents.

Are you just talking about non-star minor leaguers that had a cup of coffee with the Sox?