And that's a Whire Sox Winner !!

CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Jose Quintana actually received run support with a 5 run outburst in the 5th inning that had its share of bad play by the Angels and bad umpiring.

Up until that point the Sox had hit a few barely foul rockets so when Jose Abreu hit another one down the left field line that was called foul it was just Sox luck continuing to be bad. But luckily instant replay showed the ball hit the line and the foul ball became a 2 RBI double since men were on 1st and 3rd .

Saladino was allowed to score from 1st because he was running on the pitch and the umps determined he would 've scored given the jump he had and his speed.

Quintana went 6 innings allowing 8 hits 2 walks 3 K's and 2 earned runs. He always had men on base but much like Samardzija the day before, he escaped a few jams.

Other good things: Soto had a 2 strike bunt base hit after he had hit a barely foul rocket down the right field line. Angel's handling of the bunt wasn't the best either.

Eaton stole a base.

Avisail Garcia gunned down Giovatella attempting to stretch a single into a double.

With the Sox ahead 6-2 Adam LaRoche hit a 2 run bomb to right center field and was 2-4.

3 Sox relievers ( Jones, Petricka , Jennings) pitched an inning apiece of no hit ball. Only a Jones walk sullied the 3 innings of near perfection.

Final White Sox 8 Angels 2

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 21, 2015 -> 02:37 PM)
Hopefully the LaRoche thing ends up being a big deal. That might be more important for 2016 then any of the others.

As much as I hate watching him play and as much as I wish it was Thompson getting his at bats, I totally agree with you that a strong finish to LaRoche's season would be big.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 21, 2015 -> 09:49 AM)
If LaRoche goes crazy and hits 9 hrs thru end of season for 20...how will we look back on his year?

Horrid, unless a few of those lead to victories and a playoff berth. For everyone's sake, especially his, it would be nice if he can show he can still play, instead of hoping next spring he bounces back.

I will say one thing...Jose Abreu is a really bad defensive 1B. He has zero mobility and is just not good with the glove. I hope LaRoche has a nice off-season and comes back much closer to the guy he was for the past few years vs. the guy he was this year. What are his splits playing the field vs. dhing?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 21, 2015 -> 11:52 AM)
I will say one thing...Jose Abreu is a really bad defensive 1B. He has zero mobility and is just not good with the glove. I hope LaRoche has a nice off-season and comes back much closer to the guy he was for the past few years vs. the guy he was this year. What are his splits playing the field vs. dhing?

.740 OPS as a 1b, .585 as a DH, but I think that reflects much more the fact that his games at 1b are heavily weighted towards games that have RH starters on the mound & where they're comfortable giving Jose the day off.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 21, 2015 -> 02:10 PM)
Jose Quintana actually received run support with a 5 run outburst in the 5th inning that had its share of bad play by the Angels and bad umpiring.

Up until that point the Sox had hit a few barely foul rockets so when Jose Abreu hit another one down the left field line that was called foul it was just Sox luck continuing to be bad. But luckily instant replay showed the ball hit the line and the foul ball became a 2 RBI double since men were on 1st and 3rd .

Saladino was allowed to score from 1st because he was running on the pitch and the umps determined he would 've scored given the jump he had and his speed.

Quintana went 6 innings allowing 8 hits 2 walks 3 K's and 2 earned runs. He always had men on base but much like Samardzija the day before, he escaped a few jams.

Other good things: Soto had a 2 strike bunt base hit after he had hit a barely foul rocket down the right field line. Angel's handling of the bunt wasn't the best either.

Eaton stole a base.

Avisail Garcia gunned down Giovatella attempting to stretch a single into a double.

With the Sox ahead 6-2 Adam LaRoche hit a 2 run bomb to right center field and was 2-4.

3 Sox relievers ( Jones, Petricka , Jennings) pitched an inning apiece of no hit ball. Only a Jones walk sullied the 3 innings of near perfection.

Final White Sox 8 Angels 2

Got to see the final three innings as bonus coverage on MLB Network. I liked the Angel announcers. They were all starry eyed for their own team and really were fair in their announcing and even liked Hawk and Stone. They really were impressed with the defense of Carlos Sanchez. Good relief pitching by the Sox and I loved Laroche's homer.

I read another recap of the game and this part of it didn't make sense.

Abreu, who leads the White Sox with 73 RBIs, then lined a ball past third base that appeared to hit the line and was ruled foul by umpire Dana DeMuth. Manager Robin Ventura challenged the call, which was overturned after a video review, and Abreu was awarded a two-run double that made it 6-1.

Ball hit down the line and called foul. Replay overturns call.

One inning earlier, the White Sox had a runner at second with one out when Melky Cabrera hit a hard grounder past first baseman C.J. Cron and down the line. Umpire Ed Hickox ruled the ball foul and Ventura came out to argue, but to no avail because that type of play is not reviewable by video replay.

Ball hit down the line and called foul. Not reviewable? What? Does the writer just not know what he's talking about or was it somehow different than the other play?

Edited by Iwritecode

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Aug 21, 2015 -> 05:34 PM)
Ball hit down the line and called foul. Not reviewable? What? Does the writer just not know what he's talking about?

I believe you can challenge fair/foul if ball lands in the air past the bag. Anything before the first/third base is umpire's judgment