Could White Sox trade some pitching to fill other areas in offseason

Whisox05

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Aug 28, 2015 -> 02:59 PM)
Cespedes is pretty much the perfect player for the Sox to go after, but he will probably get a 6-7 year deal, same as Heyward, and the last 2 years do you trust a 36/37 year old Cespedes in right field or a 32/33 year old Heyward?

Actually, he's the kind of player the Sox should avoid. Low OBP, pain in the ass, 30. 3 teams in a year. Cespedes won't get a 6 or 7 year deal anyway.

Edited by GreenSox

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Aug 28, 2015 -> 01:09 PM)
Cespedes has been one of the premier defensive LF (according to uzr) every year but 2012. The OBP is low but he has hit 20+ homers and doubles every year since he entered the league. I think he profiles as a .275/.320/.480 guy in the Cell with 25 homers/doubles and 10+ steals. I think he has a rep as a bad defender for some reason but stats prove he is a very good outfielder.

This is where I have to take defensive stats with a grain of salt. Not that I have ever thought much of them but Cespedes has no regard for the cutoff man whatsoever . Defensive stats have a lot to prove before they prove Cespedes is a good fielder.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Aug 28, 2015 -> 02:09 PM)
Cespedes has been one of the premier defensive LF (according to uzr) every year but 2012. The OBP is low but he has hit 20+ homers and doubles every year since he entered the league. I think he profiles as a .275/.320/.480 guy in the Cell with 25 homers/doubles and 10+ steals. I think he has a rep as a bad defender for some reason but stats prove he is a very good outfielder.

"Prove" is wrong word. They don't prove a thing in this case.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Sep 6, 2015 -> 08:08 PM)
Jose Quintana (after yesterday's win): "I'm so excited. … It’s really fun when you get runs."

That's sort of backhanded. Makes me think about whether Quintana will be traded in the offseason.

I bet he was on the trading block more than we think. I don't think he will be given away. Some scouts think trading him is a bad idea. I'd keep him before Shark. Funny how the Sox throw money at NL players who become of little value after they are a Sox. You can't even trade them back to the NL.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Sep 7, 2015 -> 07:24 PM)
Of all those guys listed I think Cespedes fits the Sox the best although he will probably demand the most money. Right now the Sox have a lineup where only one guy scares other teams, you put Cespedes behind Abreu and this lineup gets better and more powerful instantly.

Cespedes also has indicated he wants to return to Detroit for what its worth.

Mark

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Sep 7, 2015 -> 10:30 PM)
Cespedes also has indicated he wants to return to Detroit for what its worth.

Mark

Not to split hairs with ya Lip Man but Cespedes also said this.

“This is something I can’t control, I don’t know what the front office is thinking about,” Cespedes said through an interpreter before Tuesday night’s game at Marlins Park. “But, from what I have seen so far, I would love for everything to work out and I stay with the Mets for a long, long time, because I like the atmosphere.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball...ticle-1.2315013