Reporter and cameraman shot/killed during live broadcast

Jake

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 26, 2015 -> 04:58 PM)
I love that argument.

If the US military ever decided to go crazy and control people, it'd be game over in about 10 seconds.

Just like the Russians controlled all those insurgents in Afganistan many years ago? If the 'military' ever decided to go crazy, you can bet a sizable chunk would disobey those orders and there would be chaos.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 26, 2015 -> 01:59 PM)
If there was no video of this event, is this even a story outside of the local broadcast area, or maybe Virginia? I mean, as someone else pointed out, 3 people were shot in Chicago just today. More will be shot tomorrow. We have no video, we just read about it, and no one really thinks twice about it.

Video is becoming more and more influential in how we take in these events. From Ray Rice to Steve Sarkisian (5 years ago that's not even a news story) and now this.

Are you dense? First, the fact that a dual homicide was conducted live on-air is obviously the story. Second of all, an alternative murder video was posted on social media just before the assailant committed suicide.

This is a completely f***ing unique, terrifying, modern crime that should be defined as part of history.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 26, 2015 -> 03:58 PM)
I love that argument.

If the US military ever decided to go crazy and control people, it'd be game over in about 10 seconds.

Nah, Cletus's 9mm can defend the government no problem.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 27, 2015 -> 04:26 AM)
Are you dense? First, the fact that a dual homicide was conducted live on-air is obviously the story. Second of all, an alternative murder video was posted on social media just before the assailant committed suicide.

This is a completely f***ing unique, terrifying, modern crime that should be defined as part of history.

man, i hate the way i think sometimes.

the irony is, the lady was being interview for tourism......

i am not making fun of this senseless crime.

Well, things just got really disgusting. The NY Daily News newspaper's front page tomorrow is a picture of the gunman's point of view shooting the woman with the caption " EXECUTED, ON LIVE TV"

Absolutely disgusting, and whoever approved of this to be the front page needs to be fired immediately.

http://www.nydailynews.com

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Aug 27, 2015 -> 03:38 AM)
Well, things just got really disgusting. The NY Daily News newspaper's front page tomorrow is a picture of the gunman's point of view shooting the woman with the caption " EXECUTED, ON LIVE TV"

Absolutely disgusting, and whoever approved of this to be the front page needs to be fired immediately.

they did it to sell papers.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Aug 26, 2015 -> 10:04 PM)
So a kid I went to school with messaged me and goes on to think this whole thing was fake.

Because, in the body cam video of the shooter, the woman is seen running after getting shot. He says that they were blanks.

What an idiot.

The only issue with that theory is the fact that three people are dead.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 26, 2015 -> 11:08 PM)
The only issue with that theory is the fact that three people are dead.

I know, he doesn't get that. He messaged me all of that on Facebook. I told him to actually put his stance as a status or tell the families what he thinks.

I don't think we'll see copycats of news crew murders, but I'm guessing cat is out of bag for Gopro during shooting sprees. If there's one thing people with guns love it's taking pictures and video of themselves using guns. Was only a matter of time.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 26, 2015 -> 04:58 PM)
I love that argument.

I got the same laugh as when people thought our local police department getting an MRAP meant that it was going to be used to declare martial law and take over the town... Because we don't have a Coast Guard installation and an Army reserve base in town that we have had for decades with real military vehicles or anything.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Aug 26, 2015 -> 11:04 PM)
So a kid I went to school with messaged me and goes on to think this whole thing was fake.

Because, in the body cam video of the shooter, the woman is seen running after getting shot. He says that they were blanks.

What an idiot.

There's always going to be conspiracy theorists that think everything is fake. There are people that think Colombine, Sandy Hook, Virginia Tech, 9/11, the JFK shooting and Elvis' death were fake too.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Aug 26, 2015 -> 11:04 PM)

What an idiot.

The internet has really enabled a lot of people with no deductive reasoning skills what-so-ever to get to a whole lot of information they would be way better off without, and makes them think they are WAY smarter then the actually are.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 27, 2015 -> 08:40 AM)
I don't think we'll see copycats of news crew murders, but I'm guessing cat is out of bag for Gopro during shooting sprees. If there's one thing people with guns love it's taking pictures and video of themselves using guns. Was only a matter of time.

Except this guy wasn't a big lover of guns. He just bought the gun he used a month ago. This was clearly a deranged fellow wanting to settle a supposed score and he wanted attention for doing it. Sadly, he got what he wanted.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 26, 2015 -> 10:26 PM)

I guess I don't see it as all that unique, except for the live broadcast factor. People have committed crimes and posted the videos online before (ISIS says welcome to the last 3 years). We've had horrific, cold blooded murders before. Obviously the live broadcast video really hooked people. but it always amazes me when X crime happens and there's a major response, but other similar crime happens elsewhere and we don't think twice about it. Case in point: the shootings in Chicago that happen on a regular basis.

I'm not saying it's not horrible or tragic. It's just interesting how video can really ramp up these events. It makes it 10000 times more "real."

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Aug 26, 2015 -> 08:38 PM)

It's the NY Daily news. That is what they do.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 27, 2015 -> 04:34 PM)
It's the NY Daily news. That is what they do.

I wonder what the NY Post did. They usually are even worse. This story is really heartbreaking. I will say the silver haired man who runs the station has really been classy in this terrible time. His news conference today exuded class.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 27, 2015 -> 10:56 PM)
The fact that this thread hasn't gotten to 100 posts and has already died shows you how much any of us believe gun control of any kind will happen.

It won't. The gun lobby in this country is strong. No to mention a lot of the people of this country would oppose this.

This is not the UK or Japan.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 27, 2015 -> 10:56 PM)
The fact that this thread hasn't gotten to 100 posts and has already died shows you how much any of us believe gun control of any kind will happen.

20+ Kindergartners were shot to death in their classroom and nothing changed. That's all you need to know about potential change in gun control.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 28, 2015 -> 10:34 AM)
20+ Kindergartners were shot to death in their classroom and nothing changed. That's all you need to know about potential change in gun control.

A handful of states, including Connecticut and New York, strengthened their gun laws. More states loosened gun laws.