#KennyWatch begins; aka M's fire Jack Z

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 28, 2015 -> 12:34 PM)
But KW got him. Every candidate has warts. One thing KW has is a shiny ring. I know, he got lucky one year and everything worked out, but even if that was true, why doesn't it happen to every dope with a GM title? I am no fan of KW, but you have to give him a world title and he has brought many good players to Chicago. If you are going to remember everything that went wrong, you have to remember everything that went right. Not every team has won a WS since KW's reign began. That said, I think this is much ado about nothing. Why would he go to Seattle and leave his new wife in Chicago?

I'm not sure KW is going anywhere either. Lots of GMs being fired lately and Kenny has more power than he ever has. GM's are lower on the pecking order than they have been in a while.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 28, 2015 -> 02:34 PM)
But KW got him. Every candidate has warts. One thing KW has is a shiny ring. I know, he got lucky one year and everything worked out, but even if that was true, why doesn't it happen to every dope with a GM title? I am no fan of KW, but you have to give him a world title and he has brought many good players to Chicago. If you are going to remember everything that went wrong, you have to remember everything that went right. Not every team has won a WS since KW's reign began. That said, I think this is much ado about nothing. Why would he go to Seattle and leave his new wife in Chicago?

That is the problem with the Sox, one title equals lifetime employment. It is not working no playoffs since 2008. Losers and cowards live in the past.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 28, 2015 -> 02:17 PM)
So one position player in 10 years justifies KW sticking around?

This. KW has made more bad moves than good ones over the past 10 seasons. Its time for him to go. I was once a big time KW supporter but its time for a change. Things are way too stale around here.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 28, 2015 -> 01:53 PM)
Now that is irony. It is hindsight bias one way, but not the other apparently.

You're KW fanboi we get it. What's his overall record since 2008 my friend? You are what your record says you are. Who hired Wilder? Who put him in a position of authority and then from many indications failed to see the red flags because he was a friend?

KW hasn't done jack squat in over 6 years for this franchise. He ran the MLB talent into the ground and he ran the MiLB talent into the ground as well. There is no defending him. Unless you believe you get a lifetime pass for from what is looking more and more like a complete fluke of a championship.

Ask Ben Cherington how that works out for a franchise that doesn't overvalue loyalty to the point of absurdity time and time again.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Aug 28, 2015 -> 02:50 PM)
This. KW has made more bad moves than good ones over the past 10 seasons. Its time for him to go. I was once a big time KW supporter but its time for a change. Things are way too stale around here.

Ding, ding, ding. I loved the man, I thought he was a very good GM. Not elite, but very good. Now? I have done a 180. He is a bad GM, possibly a very bad one.

I would love to see Kenny leave for the following reasons:

1. It would eliminate all talk, rumors about who actually is calling the shots in the organization. (Since I don't think JR would hire 'another' VP or promote Buddy Bell)

2. Change in my opinion is DESPERATELY needed in the front office. It has grown stale, set in their ways, and I suspect tend to look at problems from the same viewpoint. New talent, new blood is needed to shake that up and to look at the issues in new ways. No guarantees anybody else would leave after Kenny but to me it's a start.

I'd thank him for what he brought to the franchise and wish him well as he walked out the door.

But I'd be shocked if it happened. JR doesn't like change (or winning apparently either over the last decade...)

Mark

Edited by Lip Man 1

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Aug 28, 2015 -> 02:47 PM)
That is the problem with the Sox, one title equals lifetime employment. It is not working no playoffs since 2008. Losers and cowards live in the past.

Personally I would be more worried about someone who took fan input seriously about how a professional baseball team should be managed and built.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Aug 28, 2015 -> 03:11 PM)
You're KW fanboi we get it. What's his overall record since 2008 my friend? You are what your record says you are. Who hired Wilder? Who put him in a position of authority and then from many indications failed to see the red flags because he was a friend?

KW hasn't done jack squat in over 6 years for this franchise. He ran the MLB talent into the ground and he ran the MiLB talent into the ground as well. There is no defending him. Unless you believe you get a lifetime pass for from what is looking more and more like a complete fluke of a championship.

Ask Ben Cherington how that works out for a franchise that doesn't overvalue loyalty to the point of absurdity time and time again.

I suppose that makes you the meatball fan h8r if we are doing 13 year old boy name calling?

KW leaving would be a start in the right direction, but let's remember that he, and Hahn, and Bell, and all of the others are just the symptoms of this organization's problems when it comes to fielding a sustainable winning ball club. The root cause of the problem continues to be the strategic vision coming from the top, from Jerry Reinsdorf himself. The rest of these characters are simply carrying out his wishes and executing according to his orders. That part, doing what the boss tells you to do, is fine. That happens in every organization. But if what you are executing is flawed, if the vision and strategies are not designed well, then that's where the problem lies. And the record over the past 35 years executing Mr. Reinsdorf plans clearly show his shortcomings in that dept., because the Sox have been very deficient when it comes to winning over the past several decades - 2005 or no 2005.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Aug 28, 2015 -> 06:06 PM)
KW leaving would be a start in the right direction, but let's remember that he, and Hahn, and Bell, and all of the others are just the symptoms of this organization's problems when it comes to fielding a sustainable winning ball club. The root cause of the problem continues to be the strategic vision coming from the top, from Jerry Reinsdorf himself. The rest of these characters are simply carrying out his wishes and executing according to his orders. That part, doing what the boss tells you to do, is fine. That happens in every organization. But if what you are executing is flawed, if the vision and strategies are not designed well, then that's where the problem lies. And the record over the past 35 years executing Mr. Reinsdorf plans clearly show his shortcomings in that dept., because the Sox have been very deficient when it comes to winning over the past several decades - 2005 or no 2005.

Yes and no on the Reinsdorf thing. While I understand that he has a certain way of running things, I don't think organizationally he's overbearing on the ways the GM and VP of Baseball Operations run the team. At the end of the day, this garbage is on Kenny and Hahn. If Kenny walks to Seattle, the joke is on them.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Aug 28, 2015 -> 05:10 PM)
Yes and no on the Reinsdorf thing. While I understand that he has a certain way of running things, I don't think organizationally he's overbearing on the ways the GM and VP of Baseball Operations run the team. At the end of the day, this garbage is on Kenny and Hahn. If Kenny walks to Seattle, the joke is on them.

Austin:

You make a valid point to be sure however I've been told from sources for years that JR is more "hands-on" than you may think.

I was told for example that one more than one occasion he has interjecting himself into the draft process and 'recommended" who the team should take.

That puts the scouting director and his staff in a bind. Put it this way, how comfortable would you be going against the 'recommendations' of the guy who signs your pay check?

Mark

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Aug 28, 2015 -> 09:56 PM)
JR has fired many coaches and executives of the past 35 years.

Just seems to have a thing for Williams though.

He promised his parents when he personally went out to California to sign him that he'd "always" take care of their son.

True story. And everyone knows how JR values loyalty.

Mark

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Aug 29, 2015 -> 05:02 AM)
He promised his parents when he personally went out to California to sign him that he'd "always" take care of their son.

True story. And everyone knows how JR values loyalty.

Mark

good story...

let me ask, at what point does that promise is considered fulfill.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Aug 29, 2015 -> 04:52 AM)
Austin:

You make a valid point to be sure however I've been told from sources for years that JR is more "hands-on" than you may think.

I was told for example that one more than one occasion he has interjecting himself into the draft process and 'recommended" who the team should take.

That puts the scouting director and his staff in a bind. Put it this way, how comfortable would you be going against the 'recommendations' of the guy who signs your pay check?

Mark

that is a great point.

and i think this might also explains alot more. if the team owner dictate on how much they have to maneuver in order to spend on the fa market.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 28, 2015 -> 05:33 PM)
Personally I would be more worried about someone who took fan input seriously about how a professional baseball team should be managed and built.

Well, we couldn't be worse than what they have done over the last few years.

Edited by Saufley

QUOTE (Saufley @ Aug 29, 2015 -> 05:11 PM)
Well, we couldn't be worse than what they have done over the last few years.

We drafted Sale and Rodon and Fullmer. We stole Quintana for nothing. We unloaded Jake Peavy for something in return. We got rid of Alex Rios. We signed Jose Abreu on a very reasonable contract. We extended Sale and Quintana on very team-friendly deals.

There are a lot of things the Sox have done right.

The worst move in my mind was hiring Robin Ventura, then extending him. And it's fair to hang that on Kenny Williams.

I used to like KW, and was glad we had him. Now I would tend to agree with those who would be fine if he left. But for my money I'd rather the team lose Ventura and get a real manager. I think that will have more impact on the field than what Williams does.