Robertson Claimed by Yankees, pulled back by WS

Dunt

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 31, 2015 -> 09:06 AM)
Yeah Robertson is too good to do that. The White Sox also don't need the payroll flexibility. I'd consider it for a package of young players including Gary Sanchez though.

I guess that's the main thing, if they don't need the payroll flexibility. It just seems silly for a non-competing team to owe a closer $35 million for 3 years.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess that's the main thing, if they don't need the payroll flexibility. It just seems silly for a non-competing team to owe a closer $35 million for 3 years.

As bad as they have been this year, this team has too much going for it to believe they will be a non-competing team for the entire length of that contract.

in the course of building for next yr, i believe that the yanks may start acquiring players for next yr run, or supposed run. investing to that goal, i can see the yanks spending. look at how important a closer can help.

the yanks usually don't have to worry about a salary restraintants.

with his salary off the books and hopefully some nice rtns in prospects, i can see Nate Jones being a valid part of the team next yr.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 31, 2015 -> 07:25 AM)
Nothing will happen. Robertson will be the White Sox closer next year.

This. He's more valuable than his contract to the Sox, but the Yankees don't need him enough to give up talent. So Cashman will offer some garbage and to take the contract, but the Sox won't do it, so he'll be pulled back.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/jon-he...-seems-unlikely

While the Yankees have indeed won the claim, sources say, it's now up to White Sox to decide if they would consider trading Robertson or -- less likely – even letting him go to the Yankees. At this point, though, there isn't strong evidence to suggest the White Sox have any intention to let Robertson leave by any means.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 31, 2015 -> 09:12 AM)

That's the issue though; the White Sox don't believe in full-on rebuilding so they will likely try and patch together a contending team next year. If they move Robertson, they potentially open a new hole up even if they are confident in their in-house options like Jones.

I do think the payroll flexibility would allow them to pursue other options; if they let Ramirez and/or Robertson go, doesn't that allow them a few moves that would potentially help the offense, etc.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Aug 31, 2015 -> 10:06 AM)
I'm sure the White Sox would probably ask for too much, which is fine. I would rather they keep him than give him away.

Even if the White Sox had interest in moving him, I don't know that they could expect much more than payroll relief.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 31, 2015 -> 09:12 AM)

They clearly wanted him for four years. That's why they signed him for four years

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Aug 31, 2015 -> 10:44 AM)
I wonder why he wasn't placed on waivers earlier in the month.

Also, I wonder who else has been put on waivers?

Most players go through waivers at some point, I believe.

Is there a timing/strategy as to when players on put on waivers? That question is one I'm not sure of.

White Sox rebuilding issues, or any teams, starts with a nucleus of players to fill important spots on the roster. Robertson as closer and Jones as the 8th inning guy are two real strong positions. I can't see Robertson being traded. Of course it's always a poibility if the Yankees take his salary and give us two or three major prospects

Considering the Sox depth in relievers and not knowing what the Yanks might offer, can't say I agree with Rosenthal. Trading Robertson would not be a sign of the Sox rebuilding.

I don't expect Robertson to be traded but I'd sure as hell be interested if the Yanks were willing to offer up Mateo like they did for Kimbrel.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 31, 2015 -> 10:55 AM)
That's not how free agency works. The market decides how many years you sign a player to, not what a team wants.

Agreed. Assuming that the Sox wanted him for four years implies no compromises are made between players and teams.