Robertson Claimed by Yankees, pulled back by WS

Dunt

This all goes back to the White Sox thinking they are a contender (or can be) in 2016 (and beyond). They claim to be thinking of this team as a contender year to year, and perhaps they should with Sale on the roster, but they haven't shown they can actually put that quality of team on the roster.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Aug 31, 2015 -> 03:32 PM)
I thought Hahn said the sox were going to make a waiver trade or 2. Still got till eastern time midnight to maybe dump someone lol

He didn't say that. That was just a SoxTalk poster who misinterpreted an interview.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Aug 31, 2015 -> 09:40 PM)
Sorry...I don't. We'll see.

Mark

that is kool and i respect your opinion.

let me explain my thought.... with a very quiet trading deadline, esp when some of the poster if there was a struggle, so to speak if to trade or not. at least i am seeing some freaking life in this arse backward of an org.

QUOTE (LDF @ Aug 31, 2015 -> 02:40 PM)
well at least the sox may had some iron in the fire.

as i said, i really believe this is going to be a fun off season.

I don't get why you, and other posters here, think that. It's not like we have that much money to spend, and the FA market (outside of starting pitching, which we don't really need) is unattractive.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Aug 31, 2015 -> 09:45 PM)
I don't get why you, and other posters here, think that. It's not like we have that much money to spend, and the FA market (outside of starting pitching, which we don't really need) is unattractive.

the point is.... there is some kind of a pulse in the fo.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Aug 31, 2015 -> 03:44 PM)
He didn't say that. That was just a SoxTalk poster who misinterpreted an interview.

Lot of good stuff from #WhiteSox GM Rick Hahn today. Didn't come out and say it but don't be surprised if he makes waiver trade or two

https://twitter.com/scotgregor/status/630852559427772416

So Ya he didn't say it but we shouldn't be surprised nothing is going to happen.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Aug 31, 2015 -> 03:45 PM)

Waving goodbye to Samardzija saves 9.8M right of the bat. Looking at the contracts, there is potential for the Sox to save a few bucks here and there which can add up. I agree with LDF that this off season will be a very interesting one. The Sox will have some room to work with.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/compensa...cago-white-sox/

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Aug 31, 2015 -> 05:43 PM)
Waving goodbye to Samardzija saves 9.8M right of the bat. Looking at the contracts, there is potential for the Sox to save a few bucks here and there which can add up. I agree with LDF that this off season will be a very interesting one. The Sox will have some room to work with.

We'll free up nearly $10M by getting rid of Bonifacio, Beckham, & the ghost of Jeff Keppinger. Throw in Shark & Alexei and we could be looking at a good $30M in savings. Obviously there will be raises that offsets a portion of this money, but we should be able to add some pieces in free agency this offseason.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 31, 2015 -> 11:07 PM)
We'll free up nearly $10M by getting rid of Bonifacio, Beckham, & the ghost of Jeff Keppinger. Throw in Shark & Alexei and we could be looking at a good $30M in savings. Obviously there will be raises that offsets a portion of this money, but we should be able to add some pieces in free agency this offseason.

the FA rt is not the answer to all questions.

the sox needs help at 3b, cat even possibility at pitcher.

to to speak of a no hitting SS. i am not even going to touch the DH.

so with all due respect, we fix those holes via FA???? how or whom??

there is going to a need to make some trades.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 31, 2015 -> 12:24 PM)
It's the Sox season of inactivity so I don't expect anything to happen however... .

1) The Sox might secretly admit they blew it not getting anything for Shark and try to save a little face getting something for Robertson .

2) Having seen what Jones can do even though he's a good candidate to be reinjured , they might just have to take that chance.

3) The Yankees have seen how the Jays made up a lot of ground and now might be considered the favorites in the AL. Although the Yanks BP is good, it is not elite and with their starting pitching being so so the BP if upgraded give the Yanks a much better shot at a title.

4) Yankees have some interesting prospects . At catcher their is Sanchez who's work ethic and defensive skills are both highly questionable . Has a powerful bat but never sure where his head is at. John Ryan Murphy ( the current Yankees backup catcher ) doesn't have the upside of Sanchez especially when its power we're talking about) but he's hit for decent average and had a positive WAR for 2 seasons with the Yanks in limited AB's. Both are RH.

Luis Severino RH P tearing up the minors. Yanks #1 prospect no chance for him.

Jorge Mateo if the Yanks offer him the Sox should jump at the chance . RH SS speed to burn . Still rough with the glove much like Tim Anderson but has a good hit tool and its been coming quickly. Still just 20 ,he's at A+ now.

Other position players to look up Aaron Judge (OF), Greg Bird (1b), Eric Jagielo (3b).

Robertson has trade value especially to the Yanks since they know him well. To those suggesting a salary dump giving JR up for nothing , not a chance in hell.

I'd say 60/40 chance nothing happens but the Yankees want a quality reliever bad.

Sounds like the perfect White Sox. They will somehow think they can fix this and evidence points more to them taking it to a higher level.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 31, 2015 -> 07:07 PM)

If you go to the Baseball-Reference version, they've got just under $90 million committed to 9 players in 2016. They have 2 guys, possibly up to 4, who are likely to be offered arbitration: Jones, Garcia, Jennings, and Flowers. The first 3 guys all probably would come in around under $2 million while Flowers probably would be close to $4 million. If all 4 of those are offered arbitration that's close to $10 million, maybe a tiny bit less but close enough.

Offering arbitration to those 4 thus puts the White Sox at $100 million.

If, as some have noted, the White Sox pick up the option on Alexei Ramirez, which I think they will personally, that's $110 million for 14 players. Filling out the roster with minimum salary guys takes the roster up to $115-million ish with 0 additions, which is almost exactly where the total payroll was this year.

If the White Sox decline Alexei's option, they will have about $9 million to play with to get back to this year's payroll-ish.

Could they go beyond this year's payroll? The suggested offers of extensions to Samardzija suggests they might be able to, but they also made statements saying that they were able to afford Cabrera because of increased season ticket sales after the trade for Samardzija and signings of LaRoche, Robertson. I believe based on their attendence figures that they saw roughly 2000 extra season ticket packages sold this year, in addition probably to a number of smaller packages. Based on the 2015 season I find it difficult to believe that many of them will renew and they will likely also lose some of the old ones, so my expectation remains a revenue decrease rather than increase. They were expecting that being competitive in 2015 would give them the gradually growing ticket sales base to extend Samardzija; a failed season = a much bigger revenue drop than anticipated.

Given that, I think it's optimistic to see them keeping the payroll roughly steady this year, but that's also basically where they've committed to be. I still find it unlikely that we will see payroll growth this year, but can't rule out other revenue stream growth such as streaming/MLB general revenue growth.

My guess is they have Alexei's contract to play with. If Alexei's picked up, then you see some minor, Beckham-level additions to fill out the roster. Other than that, they will have to use the trade market and move payroll in order to take payroll on.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 31, 2015 -> 11:19 PM)
If you go to the Baseball-Reference version, they've got just under $90 million committed to 9 players in 2016. They have 2 guys, possibly up to 4, who are likely to be offered arbitration: Jones, Garcia, Jennings, and Flowers. The first 3 guys all probably would come in around under $2 million while Flowers probably would be close to $4 million. If all 4 of those are offered arbitration that's close to $10 million, maybe a tiny bit less but close enough.

Offering arbitration to those 4 thus puts the White Sox at $100 million.

If, as some have noted, the White Sox pick up the option on Alexei Ramirez, which I think they will personally, that's $110 million for 14 players. Filling out the roster with minimum salary guys takes the roster up to $115-million ish with 0 additions, which is almost exactly where the total payroll was this year.

If the White Sox decline Alexei's option, they will have about $9 million to play with to get back to this year's payroll-ish.

Could they go beyond this year's payroll? The suggested offers of extensions to Samardzija suggests they might be able to, but they also made statements saying that they were able to afford Cabrera because of increased season ticket sales after the trade for Samardzija and signings of LaRoche, Robertson. I believe based on their attendence figures that they saw roughly 2000 extra season ticket packages sold this year, in addition probably to a number of smaller packages. Based on the 2015 season I find it difficult to believe that many of them will renew and they will likely also lose some of the old ones, so my expectation remains a revenue decrease rather than increase. They were expecting that being competitive in 2015 would give them the gradually growing ticket sales base to extend Samardzija; a failed season = a much bigger revenue drop than anticipated.

Given that, I think it's optimistic to see them keeping the payroll roughly steady this year, but that's also basically where they've committed to be. I still find it unlikely that we will see payroll growth this year, but can't rule out other revenue stream growth such as streaming/MLB general revenue growth.

My guess is they have Alexei's contract to play with. If Alexei's picked up, then you see some minor, Beckham-level additions to fill out the roster. Other than that, they will have to use the trade market and move payroll in order to take payroll on.

hey Balta..... this is really nice worksheet. great info.

:cheers

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Aug 31, 2015 -> 05:43 PM)

Ok, let's say we do have a lot of money to play with (which we won't, thanks to Balta for explaining)... it's not like there are any lucrative free agents on the market for us. Heyward and Upton are overrated and will be extremely overpaid by a big market team IMO

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 31, 2015 -> 06:07 PM)

Who says we're not re-signing Beckham? ;)

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Aug 31, 2015 -> 06:32 PM)
Ok, let's say we do have a lot of money to play with (which we won't, thanks to Balta for explaining)... it's not like there are any lucrative free agents on the market for us. Heyward and Upton are overrated and will be extremely overpaid by a big market team IMO

I absolutely agree about Heyward and Upton but there are other free agents that could help too. The Sox can look at trade possibilities too and not trades that empty the farm either. An exchange of bad contracts (Danks, LaRoche) is certainly a possibility and Hahn has mentioned that a few times throughout the season. Maybe there's a team or two willing to take on one year of Danks or LaRoche since the risk is only for one season. I'm not counting on it but crazier things have happened.

Since none of us work for the FO we don't know anything about the Sox budgets or their plans this off season so I will not rule anything out. Many on this board did not think the Sox would acquire the players they did last winter and yet they did. Things did not go according to plan this year but that doesn't mean the Sox will stop trying.

Way to early to write off the off season on the last day of August.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Aug 31, 2015 -> 06:47 PM)
I absolutely agree about Heyward and Upton but there are other free agents that could help too. The Sox can look at trade possibilities too and not trades that empty the farm either. An exchange of bad contracts (Danks, LaRoche) is certainly a possibility and Hahn has mentioned that a few times throughout the season. Maybe there's a team or two willing to take on one year of Danks or LaRoche since the risk is only for one season. I'm not counting on it but crazier things have happened.

Since none of us work for the FO we don't know anything about the Sox budgets or their plans this off season so I will not rule anything out. Many on this board did not think the Sox would acquire the players they did last winter and yet they did. Things did not go according to plan this year but that doesn't mean the Sox will stop trying.

That's true. I'm not writing off the offseason, just was stating that I don't think it will be as great as everyone expects.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Sep 1, 2015 -> 12:28 AM)
That's true. I'm not writing off the offseason, just was stating that I don't think it will be as great as everyone expects.

lets put it this way, any players pickup, whether it is fa or thru trades that make this team better. by default, it is better than last yr, book it.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Aug 31, 2015 -> 11:47 PM)

i totally agree with you, there are options out there. it all depends on how creative the fo wants to be.

btw..... here is a question..... i been reading up on Gary Sanchez from the yanks. it seems as he has some baggage.... any thoughts????

QUOTE (LDF @ Aug 31, 2015 -> 08:19 PM)
i totally agree with you, there are options out there. it all depends on how creative the fo wants to be.

btw..... here is a question..... i been reading up on Gary Sanchez from the yanks. it seems as he has some baggage.... any thoughts????

Baggage? I have not heard about that, not that I can recall but I do not doubt what you say. Maybe I've been too focused on his arm and power. What have you been reading about him?

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Aug 31, 2015 -> 07:47 PM)

What I would specifically say is that those who didn't think the White Sox would spend lots of money last offseason thought that because they were of the opinion that the White Sox could spend about $30 million or so in new money at most and that would not be nearly enough to turn them into a competitive team.

The White Sox spent about $25 million in additional money. Basically the numbers wound up right where they thought.

The Sox payroll last year was just over $90 million, give or take, and Forbes had them making $30 million. They basically spent exactly what the Forbes numbers said they had available. That also fit very well with where they wound up in 2013 and 2012; if you've followed the money this team has spent, watched the ticket sales go down, and then counted the extra $25 million they got in TV money starting in 2014, you'd get within $5 million or so of what they actually spent.

They could decide to go into the red, but they have very little history of doing so. That's all we can say - for them to spend additional money, they would be crossing a line they have previously refused to cross.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 31, 2015 -> 09:16 PM)
What I would specifically say is that those who didn't think the White Sox would spend lots of money last offseason thought that because they were of the opinion that the White Sox could spend about $30 million or so in new money at most and that would not be nearly enough to turn them into a competitive team.

The White Sox spent about $25 million in additional money. Basically the numbers wound up right where they thought.

The Sox payroll last year was just over $90 million, give or take, and Forbes had them making $30 million. They basically spent exactly what the Forbes numbers said they had available. That also fit very well with where they wound up in 2013 and 2012; if you've followed the money this team has spent, watched the ticket sales go down, and then counted the extra $25 million they got in TV money starting in 2014, you'd get within $5 million or so of what they actually spent.

They could decide to go into the red, but they have very little history of doing so. That's all we can say - for them to spend additional money, they would be crossing a line they have previously refused to cross.

Heck of a post and thanks for the insight Balta. You are better at breaking this stuff down than I am, that's for sure.

So in the end, Sox fans really shouldn't get their hopes up? Unless of course a few GM's fall off their rockers and decide they want to trade for Danks/ LaRoche? :lol: